Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redhead47_gw

Granite installed today! (beautiful)

Redhead47
12 years ago

After all the agonizing & trepidation, the new kitchen is finally start to come together, and I'm happy my vision will be realized. By midday tomorrow, we should have a working kitchen (tho' not completed)

Granite was installed late this afternoon. It's beautiful. The local granite yard calls it Sienna Bordeaux, but the saleswoman told me it is also called Typhoon Bordeaux, so.....here is my Sienna/Typhoon Bordeaux!

another view:

Possible backsplash choice

Kitchen before

Comments (34)

• geargirly
    12 years ago

Beautiful, congrats!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Just gorgeous your new granite and your new kitchen cabinets!

• breadandsuch
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!

• peach32
    12 years ago

Congrats! Wow--what a difference from "before." I have Typhoon Bordeaux and love it. In fact, I have a post on here asking for help with my BS that you might find helpful. Just look for "Peach's Typhoon Bordeaux." Does your slab have any dark red and green it, along with the carmel and creams and black? It's hard to see it in the pics.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Gorgeous stone--love the coloring!

• footwedge
    12 years ago

Redhead47, can you post some close up shots where the rangetop/range is going. I would like to see how the narrow piece of granite is supported. Does it have a seam on each end or is it solid. My granite is being measured today and the rangetop cabinet is 2" off the back wall so I will have this narrow strip also.

Looks great.

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

Wow, what a difference! I'm so happy that you are happy with the granite and getting your kitchen back! Enjoy the new space.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think it looks fabulous! It is an interesting stone and I'd like to look at the different parts when cooking/prepping. It won't get boring.

I am not 100% sold on the bs tiles. They look flat while your counter has a shine. It might be a mismatch of sheen. The color is fine. I'd try for something with even just a little shine.

• tinker_2006
    12 years ago

beautiful! Looks wonderful with your cabinets!

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

footwedge,
    Here are some pix of the granite bridge. It was rough cut at the fabricator, but the final trim was done onsite to exact measurements. The installer used epoxy glue at the seams & then installed the wood support under it.

Granite bridge showing support:

Bridge from above:

Both plumber & electrician are 2+ hours late. And I cancelled a 9 a.m. massage (badly needed!) to be here. So, we play the waiting game.....

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Whatever the name of that granite is, it's really pretty in your kitchen! Something that occurred to me looking at your before picture (which looks a lot like my kitchen - different junk, same look): how much better a kitchen looks when all the clutter is banished from the counter tops. Maybe keep an essential or two, but the more of the granite and the less of the "stuff," the better. LOL! I'm pretty sure your new backsplash is going to be a HUGE improvement over the old wallpaper.

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

peach32,
    I can't make out any greens in my granite. It does have some gray, and some gray-beige in addition to the creams, tans, browns, red and bits of black. There are several nice sections with red veining.

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

suzannesl,
    I totally agree about all the junk on the counters. With all the extra storage & convenience this renovation will give me, I'm hoping there won't be much "junk" on the counters at all. I want to be able to see that granite!

• footwedge
    12 years ago

Thanks Redhead47. What range are you going with?

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

footwedge,
    Our range is the Bosch dual fuel. Plumber is here (only 6 hours late to our job), range should be installed within the next 30 minutes (crosses fingers).

• bagpipers
    12 years ago

Congrats Redhead, the stone looks great.

I am back online looking at possible new stones for my cabs due to my Granite Yard losing my slab which should have been by today.

Do yourself a favor, go elsewhere for stones if you are in Long Island.

*** DO NOT USE ***

Innovative Marble & Tile Inc
    150 Motor Pkwy # 210
    Hauppauge New York 11788

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So sorry you had that problem. Our granite yard would only hold our granite for 5 days -- less chance of losing it, probably.

We looked at granite in April at a granite yard about 35 miles from home -- but too early to reserve. When we went back in June, the slabs we liked best were reserved. We put a hold on our second choice, but then double-checked with our KD, who found out that we actually needed two slabs instead of the one he had told us. There weren't two slabs of the same lot available at that yard. So-o-o-o-o-o, the next day, we traveled 90 miles in the other direction to another stoneyard owned by the same company. There, we found two slabs that were OK. (Again, our favorites were taken). The slabs we ended up with had a large yellow blotch in one corner that really stood out (not in a good way), but the fabricator cut those out & left us with our gorgeous counters. Really, they were even better than I expected.

We're in southeastern Virginia. Granite yard was Marva Marble & Granite in Richmond (they have several yards in the mid-Atlantic, from Maryland to North Carolina). Fabricators were Capitol Granite, also in Richmond. Both are very good companies to work with -- would recommend them highly.

Good luck on your search. Don't be afraid to travel further from home to find that special piece. Maybe you will end up with something even better than the first choice!

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

I love the movement of your granite. I agree, it won't be boring. It looks fabulous! Congrats.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Wow! Nice choice.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

It's beautiful and what an amazing difference between before and after. Makes me wonder if it is a granite color I should consider. Anyone have Typhoon Bordeaux granite with white cabinets? Or is the TB too beige for white cabs? Redhead - I'm curious did you really consider any other colors or was TB "it" for you and it was just a matter of finding the perfect TB slab?

• makeithome
    12 years ago

wow, your granite is beautiful! congrats!!!!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Sands - when I look at the pic of the bs tiles, they look a little flat next to the shinier granite. I think even a lesser sheen might go better. Not all tiles are full gloss or completely matte. You can find something in between. I tend to like gloss better in paint and tiles than matte, so I may be biased.... Of course, YMMV

bagpipers- while we did not go with stone in the end, we had great experiences with European Stone in Farmingdale. They came highly recommended from several sources and have a good inventory. When we re-do our master bath, they are the sure choice for us...

• deniserav4
    12 years ago

I love your granite...i am a liitle miffed with my granite installer, why did he not see that I needed a narrow piece behind my range like yours? I have been calling and asking for him to return but he has not come back yet. That little piece will make such a difference in my kitchen. Thank you for posting and thank 'foot wedge' for pointing out the obvious which I missed!! Another great learning moment on garden web :)

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I love your granite! I also love the style and color of your gorgeous kitchen cabinets. I can't wait to see the finished kitchen.

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

NewSouthernBelle,

The Typhoon/Sienna Bordeaux was pretty much it for us. We looked at A LOT of granite, trying to keep an open mind, in case there was something better. The first time we went to the stoneyard, we made a list of slabs we liked, as we saw them. At the end, I looked at the list and found we had listed three different lots of Typhoon/Sienna Bordeaux (they were not near each other in the stoneyard -- very spread out). We both agreed that we liked the granites with more movement & not much in the way of speckles. When we went back later to make our final decision, I was still looking to see if there was something else I liked better. There wasn't.

I don't think my particular slabs would go well with white cabinets, but they would be OK with creamy ones. The "white" areas are more cream & beige-y tones. Not much true white in it. For something with browns & blacks but white background to go with white cabinets, check out what brianadarnell chose: Alaska White (link at the end.) She also considered Delicatus White. Bear in mind that there are many different variations in a stone of any name, so some Typhoon Bordeaux slabs might have a more white background than ours did.

We pretty much knew what cabinet shade we wanted & took a cabinet sample with us. I felt that we wanted something in lighter tones to go with the mid-range reddish stain of the cabinets. We found some granites that we liked just did not go well with the cabinet color (too yellow, too gray, too pinky, too whatever). Don't try to choose your granite from online pix or from the tiny samples at a store. There is such a huge range of granites out there, I strongly recommend you take a field trip -- or two -- to choose your granite. Best if you take samples of your cabinet color & flooring with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: brianadarnell's granite

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love your granite.
    ~boxerpups

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

Your granite goes beautifully with your cabs! Can't wait to see what you decide on for your BS.

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Range & DW are now installed & functioning. Plumber was only 6 hours late, and didn't have everything he needed. But we now have a working kitchen!

Asking for help with backsplash choice will be my next post. I need to clear up the stuff I'm trying to put into cabinets first before new pix.

New cabinet configuration = lots of decisions = very slow redhead.

• efc54
    12 years ago

I got Siena Bordeaux too--sitting at the fabricator's right now. Haven't seen other examples of it, so I was excited to see your beautiful slabs, Redhead. What kind of finish did you get? We'll also have to start thinking about backsplash, so maybe can share our thoughts. Congratulations!

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I think your redhead will match that luxurious design beautifully! Well done, it's lovely.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Oh, redhead, I think that granite is lovely. Congrats on getting this far!!

• Redhead47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We got a regular polished finish, which I like best with this granite. The edge is an "eased" or pencil edge -- just slightly rounded. Granite fabricators told me that a full bullnose edge will make the granite appear thinner & less substantial. And I feel that the plainer the edge, the more the pattern of the granite can shine.

I'm off to the tile shop soon (if the rain stops pouring) to check out some more options for backsplash. We have to get the backsplash done before we can install our gorgeous Savona Zephyr Typhoon wall chimney hood. (Two Typhoons????? LOL!) Then, our new kitchen will be done, except for putting away all the stuff.......

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

One of the prettiest bourdeax granites that I have seen. Nice choice! Don't make us wait too long for the full reveal :)