Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can someone help me track down backsplash marble?

Posted by NatalieChantal (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 0:04

Hi everyone,

I'm finally getting ready to get my new kitchen done, the contractor crew is showing up on Monday! I'm so excited! There's only a few things left to finalize at this point, so the GC asked me to look into my backsplash as I know exactly what I want, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Can you experts help me out? I want a white marble backsplash made of flat, polished 1/2" x 2" tiles. My preference is for Bianco Carrara, but anything white with light grey veining is fine as long as it is mostly white, not grey.

Everywhere I look online or locally I can either find the color I want, but only in 1" x 2" tiles (which are too squat for my taste), or the size tiles I want but in a very greyish marble. For some reason I thought this would be pretty easy to find but nailing down this particular color and size combination is driving me to despair!

Does anyone have some good suggestions for me? I sure would appreciate it very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can someone help me track down backsplash marble?

Perhaps 1 x 4's would give you the sleeker look you seem to want (and less grout, too.)

http://www.nystonemanhattan.com/sub_stone_catalog.asp?index=44&p_id=49

o

Thanks, I will keep those in mind but I really like the look of the mini-tiles and would prefer to find the 1/2" x 2" if possible. Surely they must be available somewhere?

o

Did you try Walker Zanger? They have a 5/8" x 3" in Imperial White polished.

o

Daltile has 5/8" x 4.

o

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/studio-mkm-white-carrera-1-2-in-x-2-in-marble-tile-335527.html Looks grey, but I'd go see it in person
This one has glass and marble
http://www.amazon.com/Brick-Pattern-Glass-Tile-Color/dp/B0078GAU68
3/4 x 1.5
http://www.stonecenteronline.com/thassos-white-34-x-1-12-medium-brick-mosaic-tile-polished-marble-from-greece-p-54.html

o

I know this is smaller than you wanted, but I think it comes in a larger size. I got the Carrara Bella 7/16x3/4 Mini Brick (P) from A.K.D.O for my master bed fireplace. It is supposed to be a lighter carrara with beige/gold tones and it is beautiful and subdued. This is the best pic i could find for now, but I am sure you can just google this carrara bella by A.K.D.O and see all the sizes!

o

o

kamkar2006 - I rotated your picture. It's hard to see how nice the tile is when looking sideways.

o

Thanks guys. I've been checking out your links, the Home Depot one is the closest but just like the source I found online, the stone is too grey (actually I think it's the same product by different vendors). The AKDO tile is beautiful and has lovely white marbles, but the mini bricks are TOO tiny and squarish. The glass mix is a no-go as I definitely want all marble.

Argh this seems ridiculous to have such a hard time finding the right size and stone combo! I know there are several 1/2" x 2" backsplash tiles, and white marble is pretty ubiquitous, why is it so hard to find them together?

o

This one is probably too grey, but it's another option.
http://www.amazon.com/Carrara-Marble-Polished-Pattern-Mosaic/dp/B002LED6C2

Here is a link that might be useful: Another marble brick

o

It also seems like there are a lot of options for a "smidge" larger tile, but set in a herringbone pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5/8 x 1 1/4 Herringbone

o

HI,
Have you gone to a tile store and asked? I wanted the 3 X 6 subways in the cararra honed also. They were able to order me a sample as they did not have any in the store in the honed. I seem to remember that they had a TON of various sized. The info on the place I used in PA is below. You could call them and ask for Lisa---she was amazingly helpful. If not if you have a local store I am sure they could get them for you. Good luck!
Lisa Algard
1045 Industrial Highway
Southampton , PA 18966
Bus (215) 364 � TILE (8453)
Fax: (215) 364 - 8087

o

HI,
Have you gone to a tile store and asked? I wanted the 3 X 6 subways in the cararra honed also. They were able to order me a sample as they did not have any in the store in the honed. I seem to remember that they had a TON of various sized. The info on the place I used in PA is below. You could call them and ask for Lisa---she was amazingly helpful. If not if you have a local store I am sure they could get them for you. Good luck!
Lisa Algard
1045 Industrial Highway
Southampton , PA 18966
Bus (215) 364 � TILE (8453)
Fax: (215) 364 - 8087

o

Thanks so much for all the feedback. The Amazon tiles are the same as Home Depot and the online source I found... Perfect except they are too grey. Herringbone is a lovely pattern, but too busy for my space otherwise I would consider it. Going to a tile store is definitely worth another try - I did ask the store I am buying my floor tiles from, but they gave me a deer-in-the-headlights look. Maybe another sales assistant could help me track them down, or DH and I can try a few different places.

I will keep trying and thank you for all the suggestions! If anyone else comes across what I am looking for, please let me know!

o

Just curious-did you actually go and see the HD ones in person? If not, I strongly suggest you get a sample or go in store and see them. Since it is a natural stone, you may find lots that are NOT as grey as in the picture.

o

Sorry - didn't get to log on since the last post - but I wanted to say thank you for all the suggestions. Bahacca, I ended up ordering a sheet and a sample online of the tile that looked too gray; you're right, it might be less gray in person so it is worth the $20 investment! Hopefully it will be just right once I get it.

Thanks again!

o

Ok - last update - I received the sheet and sample that I ordered. It is PERFECT!!! You were right bahacca, it looks much better in person! This is the same tile some recommended above, sourced alternatively from Home Depot, Amazon, Glass Tile Design, and Carrara Tiles. Thank you so much for your recommendations and advice! I am really thrilled to have found my backsplash and can't wait to see it on the wall!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here