Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing a range hood that vents to the outside in this house

Posted by Teju123 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 23:59

This is a home we have a contract on and we'd really like to replace the cooktop with gas and install a ducted range hood that vents outside. If there are no existing ducts to the outside, how big of a deal would it be to create those considering the wall chimney hood would be on an internal wall between the family room and kitchen?

Pics attached.

This post was edited by Teju123 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 21:14

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing a range hood that vents to the outside in this hou

Hi, Teju,

We have a similar situation, and according to our contractor, it depends upon how your ceiling joists run. It involves running the vent to the outside... they either run it with the floor joists above, or cut into a few to get to the outside. Unless you know how the joists run, you may want to get an estimate both ways.

o

Or you could give up some room in the uppers and have the duct run inside them, against the tops. It looks like you have cabs to the ceiling, so they are high enough. I don't think that would be too big a deal, at all. (Almost DIY)

Who uses the stuff kept in the upper shelves of tall cabs, anyway? It would be useful way to occupy that space with something other than stuff you ought to have decluttered before you moved.

HTH

L.

o

Is there a basement below or attic above where you can see the joist system used in the house? If not, you might want to cut an exploratory hole in the kitchen ceiling to check for that and what obstacles might be in the way (heating ducts, piping, wiring, etc.). When installing our island vent hood, we were fortunate to have an open joist system. This gave us flexibility in how to run the duct. We did have to cross the duct over into an adjacent joist cavity to get around a plumbing stack. Things would have been much more difficult had our joists been regular 2x lumber.

One option that you might consider is to run the duct into the family room, along the top of the wall and then to the outside. Build a sofit to hide the duct work. That may be the easiest way to do it, by far.

o

Our kitchen is very similar to yours. Our joists ran perpendicular to the back wall of our house so it was easy-peasy. DH cut a hole in the wall through the rim joist. It was one 90 degree turn and straight out through the wall. We had siding on the outside of that wall so that made it easier than if it were brick.

o

If you need to run a duct within the cabs, an oval wall duct at the top is an option.

o

We had the same problem - our joists ran perpendicular to the outside wall, so we couldn't vent to the wall outside the kitchen. We ended up running a duct up through the second floor, in a corner of my daughter's closet and up through the roof. We were lucky that the closet was in the right place. It was a complete PITA to do, though.

o

We sacrificed the cabinet space above and ran a line straight up into the ceiling joists. From there hops through a joist or two, but mostly running parallel, then up into the attic. The motor for the fan is located in the attic. It pulls the air from the stove and pushes it out the roof. I think there also exterior mountable fans that 100% pull the air from the home. The remote motor mount helps cut down the motor noise, but in our case we went with a 1200cfm unit and a 10" uninsulated metal pipe. Trying to move that much air through metal is a bit noisy. It's ok on lower speeds.

You may need to replace or move the microwave as well. I'm my 1st house, they charged me $500 for a microwave that vented outside. I didn't get it, though (and missed it during the walk through), so I don't know if it's even possible.

There are also down draft vents on some stoves. They pop up when you turn the stove on and pull the air downwards. I'm not sure how they connect to the rest of the house, but might be an option if it's easier for you to go down, like into a basement and out vs up.

I've also seen some metal ducting that designed to fit between stud walls @ stud depth, but I'm not sure if code allows them to be used for exhaust from a stove. You could look into that if you don't have high cfm requirements. They're hit and miss depending what is in the stud bay, and kitchens tend to have a lot in wall infrastructure in them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here