Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
feisty68

nifty dish draining device

feisty68
9 years ago

My neighbour just got this super nifty device for draining dishes. She puts it over the edge of her large sink bowl sink. When she's done with it, it rolls up and goes into a PVC tube cut and installed for that purpose under her sink. It can be washed in the dishwasher.

Here is a link that might be useful: Over the Sink Roll-Up Drying Rack

Comments (23)

• eam44
    9 years ago

Cool!

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I am so going to buy one of those! I even have the same sink as the one in your photo.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

I am going to order one of those right now!
    I usually use a towel but this might come in handy at times!
    Thanks

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

To don't drain hand-washed items much, but when I do I use a microfiber mat. I'm responding because I love the word "nifty" :-)

• plllog
    9 years ago

I have one of those! What I don't have is the nifty holder. Thanks for sharing the idea!

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

This is fabulous! I especially like the part where it rolls up vs being one hard screen.....definitely buying one of those.

• andreak100
    9 years ago

Whoa! That IS nifty! Thanks for sharing.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Ordered! I'd love a pic of the PVC holder (or anything else anyone has devised. Thanks!

• homebuyer23
    9 years ago

I bought one of those at Bed bath & Beyond, agree its totally nifty! However, I wish I kept the box because for me it doesn't fit, I have a Kohler Whitehaven sink with a positive reveal...the nifty device isn't quite wide enough to stretch from apron-front of sink to counter behind sink. It actually JUST fits, but I've had it crash into the sink with drying dishes on it...not good. So, beware if you have an apron front sink.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

I loooove it! I want it! I'm gonna get it! I feel gleeful about this!

• Sms
    9 years ago

Feisty just wants to say thanks. Ordered this thing and it is perfect. Hate taking up space with a drain board but hand wash lots of stuff. Fit perfectly over the big single bowl silgranite sink

• OOTM_Mom
    9 years ago

Homebuyer23, how much of a positive reveal do you have? I also have whitehaven with a positive reveal, and was considering this item. I think I have a full 1/4", possibly 5/16" positive reveal. Curious if you think that is large enough to not have it crash into sink.

I am fine leaving dishes drying just off to the side in the sink, but DH likes them "up".

Thanks!

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I'll join the chorus of "i Want One: I bought one" and
    "I thank you for the nifty idea of the PVC storage."

Can't wait for it to come.

Thanks again.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 21:17

• firstmmo
    9 years ago

Mine came and I love it but do I just cut regular PVC piping for the rolled up storage?

• martinkk333
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great idea! Ordered mine and its already here! Fits great on my silgranite super single. For anyone else that;s interested, I noticed when searching Amazon that it is also available in a couple of different colors. I ordered the silver, as pictured. Looks good.

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

just ordered and can't wait for it to come!!!!

will be so much better than using a towel, DH will be happy, he hates the towel method!!!

thanks so much for sharing!!!

• feisty68
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Mine came and I love it but do I just cut regular PVC piping for the rolled up storage?"

My neighbour has a custom cabinet maker. He cut a piece of regular PVC piping of a convenient diameter - the stuff you see at Home Depot. The pipe is installed under her sink so that you just see the end (the pipe is tucked into her complicated undersink organization system) - so the pipe is horizontal. It has something at the back that prevents it from pushing in too far.

Sorry, it would be awkward to get a photo.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 12:57

• andreak100
    9 years ago

What feisty, you don't think your friend would understand your need to take a picture of under her kitchen sink to share with your TKO web friends? ;-)

• sprtphntc7a
    9 years ago

update:

received it and love it, no more towels!!!

just make sure your sink is long enough to accommodate the draining device and you washing your dishes or it could be difficult/impossible to wash your dishes....

hope that makes sense!!!

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I also purchased this and I absolutely love it! I have a small kitchen and a this gives me a little bit more counter space too since I'm able to use a cutting board on top of it also.

• amck2
    9 years ago

Raising hand.....Count me in. I ordered one for my sink at the lake. It's a soapstone farmhouse sink and it works perfectly.

I use it primarily for glassware, which I wash first. By the time I finish washing and drying my pans, plates & utensils, they have often air dried & are ready to put away.

Thanks feisty68!

• User
    9 years ago

I got one of these too - thanks for the tip @feisty68! I had seen a Franke sink with something like this on display at a plumbing store, and was really tempted to buy the sink just for the drying grid! So much easier to get it via Amazon (and my Kraus sink was much cheaper than the Franke!) It is such a simple thing but very effective!

• young-gardener
    9 years ago

OH, I'm so excited! And, I bet you could use it for rinsing fruits/veggies, too.