Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkiv808_gw

Give me your opinion on the following finish combos

mkiv808
14 years ago

I Photoshop'd this photo of the model townhouse that's exactly like mine in layout. I made the counters dark, and very quickly put the Bluestar range and hood in that I'm going to get. Not the best editing job, but it'll do for now.

The door style will be close. Same bar-pull handles. Though instead of the flat front, I may do this:

{{!gwi}}

Counters are going to be Gabriel Black Granite.

The cabinet finishes are a medium-dark brownish cherry (Amber), a medium brownish maple with a little red (Cafe), and a medium reddish maple (Cordovan). The floors are a reddish medium oak (Butterscotch), medium-dark brown oak (Gunstock), and a light natural red oak (natural).

Here are the color combos I've come up with. They are not fully accurate, but pretty close. Please let me know what you think.

Amber Cabinets, Gunstock Floors

{{!gwi}}

Cafe Cabinets, Gunstock Floors

{{!gwi}}

Cordovan Cabinets, Gunstock Floors

{{!gwi}}

Amber Cabinets, Butterscotch Floors

{{!gwi}}

Cafe Cabinets, Butterscotch Floors

{{!gwi}}

Cordovan Cabinets, Butterscotch Floors

{{!gwi}}

Amber Cabinets, Natural Floors

{{!gwi}}

Cafe Cabinets, Natural Floors

{{!gwi}}

Cordovan Cabinets, Natural Floors

{{!gwi}}

Comments (16)

• plllog
    14 years ago

First off, with the smallish, condo space and modern range, I like the slab cabinets better than the shaker. It's sleeker and more modern. I think the recessed panels will make the space look a little cluttered and cramped in comparison. (But without the comparison, probably just fine.)

For cabinet colors I like the cordovan best, again, because it's modern, plus brighter. Second choice, cafe, again because it's bright.

I like the gunstock floors best on their own, but the butterscotch probably brings out the tones better.

Can you get real life samples to compare in sunlight?

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

My favorite is the cafe cabs w/ natural floor.

Butterscotch reads too yellow for my taste.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

cafe and natural for me too.

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Cordovan and butterscotch. don't like the natural floors at all, they're a whole different tone.

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

Cafe and butterscotch.

• ebse
    14 years ago

I like cordovan with any of the floor finishes.

All very nice choices.

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First, thanks for all the comments. Keep them coming!

Secondly, it's actually not small at all. It's 15' wide, with high ceilings and lots of sunlight (it's an end unit). Including the eating area, it's 20' long.

The gunstock floor tends to blend with the cafe and cordovan finishes. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing! The amber provides more of a contrast.

I'm also considering possibly going with light counters, but I do like black. I just wonder if it works well here?

I also considered doing a light counter and a dark island, not sure.

Keep those thoughts coming!

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also, the cafe and butterscotch *slightly* blend. There is contrast, but not THAT much contrast. At certain light levels they do start to blend together.

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Cafe and natural

• suzienj
    14 years ago

Cafe and butterscotch== I like the dark counters with the combo, afraid light might get "washed out". As far as the fronts-- I like the front you picked- unless you want a very "Modern" feel - than flat front. The one you picked feels more traditional/current...
    Good luck!

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's the 1st floor layout. The entire floor will be hardwood, as well as the stairs:

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

The cafe and natural are OK, but I really like the cafe and butterscotch - much warmer and I don't see yellow.

The amber cabinets are too brown, and the cordovan too dark with the dark counters. Was this pic taken on a cloudy day? How much natural light do you have?

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Cafe and butterscotch. The cafe struck me as brighter. The butterscotch warm and the combo works.

• mkiv808
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My only concern with the butterscotch is will my furniture go with it? I'm going for that modern, transitional Ikea look.

For example, kitchen table:

Dining table:

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

1 vote for cordovan and butterscotch. :-)

• profrip
    14 years ago

My personal favorite combination is cordovan/butterscotch, followed closely by "natural" floor.

One advantage of "natural" is that it is natural -- it is oak-a time honored finish and it will blend with any other wood.

Your accents will not be at the junction of wood on wood.
    Go with what you like!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert