Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Mortise and Tenon vs. Dowel

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

Please help. I'm trying to decide which cabinets to buy (and yes, I've also read how important the kitchen designer is) Regarding the joints, is mortise and tenon significantly better than dowel? Do cabinets with the dowel joints ever break with normal use? I've googled on test results which showed that he dowel joint test samples failed at 120, 140, and 145 pounds and mortise and tenon failed at 170, 175, 140, 180, 185, and 190 pounds. I'm not sure how much weight cabinets hold. Is this 25% difference substantial? http://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/glue.html Or is this a detail I shouldn't consider

Plain and Fancy mentioned mortise and tenon joints. I couldn't find anything on the Woodmode/Brookhaven site about the joints and other sites mentioned both dowel and mortise and tenon. Does anyone knkow for sure what Woodmode and Brookhaven use? I don't think the KD I talked to knew. Rutt Regency uses dowel and I believe so does Rutt Classic. Not sure what the local cabinet makers do.

Also, Rutt mentioned that it uses dowel on two corners of the drawer and dovetail on the other two. They said it is stronger. Do people agree or do you think it is better to have dovetailing on all 4 corners of the drawer

Thanks!

Comments (3)