Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuxedord2

Over-thinking This Color Combo? Pic

tuxedord2
9 years ago

Also posted on decorating forum trying to marry these two shades.

Both kitchen cabinet and house trim were supposed to be BM Simply White. In kitchen's light the cabinets looked a little more yellowy but still sort of matched to the chip or maybe Cloud white chip. I thought it was the light.

Here is a pic of removed cabinet next to fireplace surround trim painted white. Am I over - thinking? Does one look warm and one look cool?They were both supposed to be Simply White.

Comments (7)

• ktj459
    9 years ago

I would say one looks warm and one looks slightly less warm. They are most definitely not the same color. Did they use the same kind of paint, or perhaps a different brand that tried to color match and didn't get it quite right? How close together are the trim and cabinets? If the different colors are far enough away from one another it probably won't be noticeable, but if it is right next to it like that, it definitely is. Personally it would drive me nuts if I particularly went out of my way to make sure everything was the same color and then It didn't match up. Have you showed this picture to the people that did the painting?

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Cabinet is certainly reading warmer on my screen..I'd agree that distance might not matter..and the "warmth" of the cabinets might work in the kitchen...
    But the "brighter white" trim certainly looks better with the fireplace surround.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes the cabinet doors were color matched. My mistake on not demanding it be done right. In bright light it still matches to the color strip. But overall, it's different and wrong.

It won't be that noticeable except i was trying to find a wall color that goes with both. I like a shade darker than "white" for the walls (both rooms). Couldn't find the right one though. This is probably why.

Discovered I didn't like the grays and I think it's because kitchen cabs were warmer.

Now what do i do?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Could you try a warmer grey, maybe Edgecombe Grey, or even a greige? Or creamy white? You have yellow next to your trim, and I think it looks good, so a creamy white should work, too.

• tuxedord2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nosoccermom. Yes that is what I was thinking. Have tried EG and some other greiges and they just don't look right. So switched to trying more of the cream/antique whites. I like them with the cabinet doors - but wasn't sure they look good with the brighter Simply White. Is Simply white too cool or is it just brighter?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I'm on the side of "over-thinking". White isn't even going to read identically on all four walls in the same room. It depends on where they are getting the light from, which way they face, and other factors.

Mariette Himes Gomez--who is big on white walls--sometimes uses a slightly different white on different walls in the same room to make them actually *look the same. She figured it out somehow because she likes the background to have a very flat look, it seems.

On the other hand I saw an apartment in a magazine where the designer used seven shades of white in one room on walls various trim elements and he said you couldn't really discern a distinct difference, just a lot of depth, and that all one shade on everything would be too one dimensional.

Those two statements seem to contradict each other, using different whites to flatten the room out and different whites to add depth, but both could be achieved depending upon which whites are used.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Or, one color that adds depth. I'm looking at my open space kitchen, dining and living room (with vaulted ceiling) all painted the same color, including ceilings. The same color looks a million different shades depending on the light/shadow and what is next to it.

Coincidentally I chose between Simply White and Cloud White for my cabinets. I had two doors painted each color. Side by side there wasn't as much difference as in your photo. The CW was warmer by a hair. I found comparing two paint colors got in the way of picking one you like in your space. I had to audition each one separately, not head to head. I would have been happy with either color. I chose Cloud White and grew to love it.

I love a mix of soft whites.