Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leelee5_gw

RTA cabinets, 6 square, lowes or conestoga

leelee5
12 years ago

Please, please would love all input. Our kitchen is gutted, it took us 2 months (ok 3 months) but we are 99% complete. I ordered the appliances and cannot decide on cabinets. I was going to order from a company called closeout cabinets but when I went in for the final drawing the sample cabinet display I was going to order (wheaton) was taken down and another put up which looks like garbage. He said he could still order it for me but gave me no explanation as to why it was no longer being displayed. My husband and I are both very handy and are considering RTA cabinets. I am considering 6 square or conestoga. Conestoga are a little more expensive but 6 square comes asssembled. I am also considering Shanadoah from Lowes. I would like cream cabinets, conestoga and shanadoah are available in real wood as the 6 square the center panel in only available in MDF. I am not sure how a MDF center panel on a shaker style cabinet would age. Any info would be appreciated, if I dont decide soon I think my husband will lose it. Any other cream shaker style cabinet info would also be welcomed. Thank You

Comments (8)

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I ordered a "sample cabinet" from Scherr's and was favorably impressed by the quality. (I got the 3/4" plywood upgrade.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Scherr's RTA

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I don't know much about 6 square but I do know from all my reasearch that conestoga is very well regarded. And a second vote on scherrs. we used them for our door/drawer fronts.

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

I used Scherr's as well for my den. You can go standard or as custom as you want. I also ordered mine unfinished since they didn't have the exact color I wanted, but I've since heard they'll finish to a specific color if you ask.

Here's a photo of how it turned out. They also provided the crown molding, although I bought another piece at home depot to stack.

• Kathy F
    12 years ago

I've ordered a couple of RTA cabinets for my laundry room from Barker Cabinets. They look to have good quality construction and are pretty customizable. I really like that they are 100% made in USA; Barker is in Portland, Oregon. Dovetail standard, Blum soft close upgrade available. Lifetime warranty.

I got an email a couple of days ago that they were shipped, about 1 week after I ordered. I'll report back after I get them.

Just thought I'd give you another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Barker RTA Cabinets

• leelee5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the input. Cheifneil your cabinets are gorgeous. I will look into scherrs and Barker. Thanks again

• cosanostra
    12 years ago

katkatf - How did the cabinets from Barker turn out? My wife and I are considering them for our kitchen cabinets.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

If you're up for RTA, have you considered IKEA? They are highly regarded in the RTA genre. They are low in off-gassing (no formaldehyde, meets EU air quality standards) and they have very high quality interior fittings (drawer slides are made by Blum, for instance.) If you like the doors, it's super easy. Even if you want different doors, which many people have ordered from Scherr's, they are still an economical choice. The only downside is they have only a fixed range of cab sizes, though lots of people have changed them up to get what they need. (But then you have to figure a work around for the doors - Scherrs?)

Try going to ikeafans. com. The website is very cludgy and somewhat hard to navigate, but it has a wealth of info and a super-helpful forum to answer questions. It is not an official IKEA site, but just a fan site, so the info is real.

I plan to use IKEA carcases (which are almost absurdly cheap), but different doors, to test out my weirder ideas for kitchen arrangement.

HTH,

L

• petra66_gw
    12 years ago

I second the idea of going with Ikea. Because of the quality/cost ratio, the excellent hardware and the flexibility of the Ikea system. I recently installed an Ikea kitchen and couldn't be happier with it. I went with a layout that has all-drawers and pull-outs in the bases and that works fantastic.

I'll link to an excellent example of what can be achieved with an Ikea kitchen:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0801465812705.html?86
    and my own kitchen:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0712493717899.html

I would suggest you try the kitchen planner on the Ikea website to see what is possible in your space. Although Ikea only works with a fixed range of cab sizes, they just might be right for you. When you come up with a plan forum members here and over on the Ikeafans kitchen forum will only be too happy to look it over and suggest improvements and offer encouragement.

HTH, Petra

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use Ikea to get a custom kitchen (high quality)