Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nishka_gw

Nothing left but the granite?

nishka
13 years ago

Well, after must deliberation we have finally narrowed down some of our choices. We have an appointment at 9 in the morning to decide on granite. Well maybe, that is if we can decide.

I am satisfied that the backsplash will be the Vanilla Travertile stacked stone with the rectangular glass tile accent behind the range.

The paint is Sherwin Williams color matched Perennial Gold by Freshaire paint. That is, unless I get up in the morning and the wall we painted tonight looks like the surface of the sun.

I have even found some nice ORB hardware. So what do you think? Obviously we are thinking of granite in the browns, creams and golds, but we still haven't totally ruled out some version of black but it is becomming less and less of a possibility with all the earth tones. Of course this is all up for change if we find a wild piece granite we just can't live without.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

I think its all lovely! If it were me, I'd go with a very dark, *almost* black, brown.

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

hi nishka - our kitchens are very similiar in color! We originally thought Uba Tuba but mid stream decided to go lighter. We had selected Sienna Bordeaux and then changed to Gialita (gold/cream/black). We love the granite. Good luck with shopping and please post a pic of your selection!

• gillylily
    13 years ago

I love the combos you picked.. You will most definitely find a ton of granites that will go well with all of your choices..

Quick question.. can you please give me more specific info on the vanilla stacked travertine? I haven't officially started my backsplash search live, but I have a feeling that will work perfectly in my kitchen.

Thanks so much and good luck with your granite search!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

nishka...I think you are on the right track with granites in the browns, creams, and golds. I'm looking forward to seeing what you choose. I think your backsplash is going to be so pretty!

KA:)

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I may have done things backwards, but I picked out my granite first. I am really glad I did because now that my granite is installed I am bring home tile samples and setting them right on my countertop and I can see in my kitchen and with my lighting how they look. The items have to be coordinated in your house and it isn't realistic to bring home granite samples. I have found the obvious isn't always the obvious. To try matching things up in a showroom could be a huge mistake.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gillylilly - The stacked vanilla travertine is a Floor and Decor product. I haven't seen anything exactly like it in all my searching here in Atlanta and online. It sells for $10.99 a square foot. I love it and my husband really loves it so we do want to use it if we can.

Michellemarie - Actually I think I am doing things backwards. The reason is because it was a lot easier to focus in on the other pieces. The granite is such a confusing choice and even after spending 3 hours this morning looking and walking the granite yard and warehouse. We are still not sure.

Honestly, we didn't see anything we really loved. We did focus in a two slabs at this granite warehouse, Yellow River and probably the favorite, Golden Wave. We are considering both in the antiqued finish.

If we choose Golden Wave, then I think the glass tiles we picked out will need changed. My husband was not happy with the service we received and the knowledge of the reps there, so we are talking to our contractor this evening. It's not just about being comfortable with the granite you chose, it's also the fabrication and installation you got to worry about.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Nishka, I have Yellow River! I love it, but I am having a hard time finding tile. When I brought my granite sample to the tile store I was certain I had found my tile. But, in my house with different lighting and paint color the tile just looked horrible. That is why I suggested picking out your granite first. I understand your concerns regarding the fabricating end of it. I am happy with my install, but will never recommend my fabricator as they jacked me over on the estimate after they had my granite.
    Good Luck!

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michellemarie - Do you have any pictures you can post? I would love to see it installed.

• riverspots
    13 years ago

Maybe it's my monitor, but I'm not crazy about what appears to be a mustard gold with a greenish cast paint and glass tiles with the coppery reddish cabinets. Could look different in person, though. I do like the floor and travertine with the cabinets.

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Riverspots - I think it more than likely the picture because the paint does seem to have greenish cast in the second picture, but it's anything but green. It is a very warm, deep gold. I am still trying to decide if it's too intense.

The cabinets are a dark cabernet stain with a black glaze. They actually look darker in person than in these pictures. The glass tiles don't have green in them either. That greenish colored tile is actually a frosted buttery almond color.

Funny how much different these look online. I guess I am used to looking at them and didn't notice the changes in the pictures online.

• dlr98004
    13 years ago

I really like that stacked vanilla travertine. I googled it but didn't find anything - could you possibly share a website or complete name/address/email of your provider? Enjoy the process of picking out your granite - you'll find plenty that go well. Just be careful not to have too many things compete for attention! If you get a granite with alot of movement, it may compete with your backsplash for attention. Enjoy!

• riverspots
    13 years ago

I've noticed the color variation from real life to photos before. It makes online color judging totally unreliable.

• nursetammi
    13 years ago

Looks like we have very similar cabinet colors and wall color. Thought I'd show you how they look together.

• gottobake
    13 years ago

Yellow River goes perfectly with your choices. Do not do the Golden Wave... it does not go with your choices... Yellow River looks great - at least via computer screen.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Nishka,

Golden Wave and Yellow river. Ooooooohh they sound
    beautiful. And you are wise to find a good installer. You
    want your seams to be perfect and you want the entire
    process to go without stress. Good for you to talk to your
    GC.

Did you get any pictures of the slabs? Or maybe you
    are looking for specific ones. Did I post images of yellow
    river? I can not remember. If I am repeating myself.
    forgive me, visuals sometimes help.

Enjoy the process.
    ~boxer

Golden Valley not Golden wave but very similar. I think
    it is really just a difference in names.

This above and below are both yellow river. Yes one
    is more gray and one is more golden warm. Lovely.

Yellow river

yellow river

• donnakay2009
    13 years ago

Have you seen White Spring? We almost chose a honed piece, because it was dramatic but also included all the above colors you're using. We ended up with Bianco Antico (which wouldn't be right with your colors, I think) but that White Spring really captivated me for awhile. I can't wait to see what you choose!

• nishka
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And the saga continues.....

Today we went back to the first granite place we visited and looked again at some of our original favorites.

We were able to rule out a few we had like initially, Delicatus White (too much bright white) and Coronado (too much red that looks pink)

Donnakay - We did see White Spring but the background was too bright white, just like the Delicatus. That was the same problem with found with Bianco Antico. We did see Sorrell Brown and Genesis that have a similar pattern but cream backgrounds but the slabs they had were so busy. It was just too much movement.

Here is a picture of an antiqued Desert Dream slab I took with my phone so it's not the best quality. I liked it when I first saw it and I keep going back to it. My husband is warming up to it now. We brought a chunk home to see it in the light here, and it looks great.

Decisions, decisions, decisions......
    {{!gwi}}

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Not a granite buyer, but I like dark red-yellow-green schemes.

For what it's worth, Yellow River is one of the 180FX Formica offerings for faux granite.
    I saw a 180fx Yellow River countertop in person; this online photo is not accurate. It was decidedly yellow with a great dark red threaded in it. Wish I had a way to use it in my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Formica 180fx

• steelerfan_2010
    13 years ago

I love that slab of Desert Dream! Good luck with your continued search and keep posting your progress.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Nishka,
    I am attaching a link so you can see my Yellow River granite. Sorry I didn't get to it sooner.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinets and other stuff