Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
500shap

Help with Offset Drain Kitchen Sink

500shap
12 years ago

Hi. I'm looking for an undermount SS sink that has an offset drain in the rear right corner. I'm trying to maximize space under the left side of my sink for an under-counter pull out trash pail. I'm limited by a a 30" cabinet so I need a bowl that is about 24 to 26 inches wide (interior).

I welcome any suggestions you guys have. Do I have to go custom?

Many thanks

Comments (22)

• raro
    12 years ago

I don't have an answer but that is a great idea.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

My sink cabinet size is 27" and I couldn't find a reasonably priced undermount offset drain sink, so I asked the plumber to squeeze the plumbing in the right rear of the sink. I purchased a Kohler D bowl sink with the drain in the rear.

My little sink cabinet holds my trash pullout on the left - the Simplehuman pullout fit perfectly, the large dish detergent bottle for the soap dispenser behind it. The plumbing and cold water filter in the right rear and a small recycling container in the right side front. Works very well for me.

• 500shap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks very much for the ideas. farmgirlinky did you contact Julien directly for the custom sink? I really like the J7 with the tiny radius.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

500shap - I will link the place I got my custom stainless sink, Handcrafted Metal in Texas. They were great to work with, and I did it all through email and on the phone. I got the sink the exact dimensions I wanted, and the drain in the exact spot in the corner I wanted. They use 14-gauge stainless steel, which is a thicker gauge than most sinks on the market. I think the prices were on par on even less than Julien's.

BTW, you don't want your corner drain so far in the corner that you can't fit the plumbing line or a disposal cause it's too close to the wall. My corner sink drain is 6" (on center) from the back wall of the sink, and 6" (on center) from the right wall of the sink. This location was per the advice of Handcrafted Metal.

It's also nice to buy from a small U.S. family-owned business. They also do countertops, hoods, other materials like copper, they can do apron front, all kinds of cool hammered finishes, you can specify how matte, brushed or polished you want; the customization is amazing. HTH.

Here is a link that might be useful: Handcrafted Metal Website

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

500shap, I bought our Julien sink through our local plumbing supply shop, didn't deal directly with Julien. Akchicago makes a good point about the location of the drain and fitting a disposal under the sink: however I think Julien plans for that -- we were able to fit a Compact Pro Insinkerator disposal under our right rear corner drain despite its close proximity to the other wall of our island. You'll want to check measurements. The Compact Pro suits our needs fine. And you are right: that arrangement for the drain creates lots of usable space directly under your kitchen sink.

Lynn

• 500shap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I think I'm going wtih Julien custom sink.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Check out Blanco's website

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco ss

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Elkay, Kindred, and many others will have 27" and 28" stainless steel sinks with drains in the corner.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Actually, no, these brands that Davidro mentioned do not have sinks in that size with corner drains. In fact, there are only a few sinks on the market made with corner drains. I think we need to clarify between an "offset drain" and a corner offset drain that the OP asked about. An offset drain means a drain that is simply not in the dead-center of the sink. Most drains that are offset are in the rear center of the sink. So, you can find many sinks on the market, in the 27" and 28" that Davidro mentioned, with an offset drain. But, an offset corner drain is more rare. Blanco makes a couple (the Blanco Diamond Super Single is very popular on this forum, I'll link it below), but they need a 36" cabinet; Elkay makes a couple (the Elkay Gourmet Elumina comes to mind, but it needs a 36" cabinet); and, as mentioned in this thread, Julien, but they are quite expensive. Or you can go custom as I mentioned above, if you want a corner offset drain in a certain size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco Diamond Super Single with Corner Offset Drain

• friedajune
    12 years ago

There's also the Shaw's fireclay sink which has a corner drain, but the OP asked about stainless.

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

Mine is a right-rear drain, and it was made by one of the GardenWebbers - Dino Rachiele. He makes sinks in copper and stainless, and his website is www.rachiele.com.

I recommend that you e-mail Dino, because he will probably e-mail you back very quickly to tell you how much your size sink would cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stainless undermount right rear drain sinks

• davidro1
    12 years ago

most of these sinks have offset drains.
    If the drains were also farther back, they would be offset, and "Rear corner" too.

I don't think that the few inches distance saved would make a difference for the OP's maximizing space under one side of the sink

• davidro1
    12 years ago

most of these sinks have offset drains.
    If the drains were also farther back, they would be offset, and "Rear corner" too.

I don't think that the few inches distance saved would make a difference for the OP's maximizing space under one side of the sink.

Boholmen
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=boholmen

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Oh, I had forgotten about our very own Gardenwebber Rachiele! Those sinks are cool. Funny, but whenever Rachiele posted I always assumed Rachiele was a woman, maybe cause the name sounded to me like "Rachel". Anyway, I like the video in the link too. Though my rec for custom-made sinks (Handcrafted Metal, above) uses slightly thicker-gauge stainless than Rachiele, it's not a big deal, since both use thicker gauge than most non-custom sinks on the market. Glad you posted that Adrienne!

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I'm in the same boat. I have a particular list of wants: right rear, ledge for a raised up grid (like some Frankes), and not too deep. Oh, and did I mention that I prefer copper? (Would "settle" for something different.)

David, I think off-center is more important that you realize. For example, my goal is to get a recycling center (which I am willing to custom design) squeezed in to one side of a 36" sink cabinet. There is a big difference between having 13" to work with (for a centered drain with a GD) and 22" (for a drain that is 9" off center like the Elkay Elumina).

I did find ONE sink that meets my criteria exactly, namely, one from Rachiele. (I did not know that Dino Rachiele was a Gardenwebber -- found him independently.) The problem: the configuration I want is about $3k. Sigh. I am trying to simultaneously do two things: talk myself into it, and try to prioritize my other desiderata (RR vs. copper vs. ledge).

If anyone has any bright ideas, let me have 'em!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elkay Elumina

• davidro1
    12 years ago

i thought the sinks i linked to were off-center.

Here is a link that might be useful: off-center drain

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

David,

Thanks, that was sweet of you. I neglected to mention I desire undermount and single bowl.

• friedajune
    12 years ago

Angie_DIY - did you see my link above to Handcrafted Metal. (I am not affiliated in any way to this company, I just think they did a great job with my custom sink). They can make your sink however you want it, dimension, configuration, finish (matte, polished, hammered, etc.), and in several materials other than stainless if you don't want stainless. What about the Elkay you linked? Are you also constrained as to sink size? (What is RR, BTW?)

Also, see my post above about corner-offset drains. You talked about the importance of off-center, i.e. what are called "offset" drains, which is what Davidro provided in his links. An offset drain is simply not in the center. But you are looking for a corner-offset drain. I am only citing this terminology difference so that if you (or anyone else reading this thread with the same requirement) are calling Rachiele, Handcrafted Metal or whomever, you can be clear to them what you want, a corner-offset drain.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

akchi-town: Thanks for the note. Re-reading my post, I did not express myself clearly. "RR" was supposed to mean "right rear" (or corner-offset).

I have indeed looked at Handcrafted Metals. In fact, I realized after I posted that I should have referenced them. I have not actually asked them for a quote, but the prices for their stock and custom sinks are still beyond what I was comfortably willing to spend. By not contacting them, I think I was sorta avoiding temptation, if you know what I mean! ;-) I think I will at least get a price from them, though.

I have no real restrictions in size. I had originally been looking for a very small sink (21") to allow me to use a small cab, so that I could have room in my layout for other things. GW helped me realize I would be better to use a full-size sink cab (36") and eliminate a separate cab for recycling. Hence my need for a corner-offset drain, so I can squeeze recycling under the sink. I think my ideal size would be about 24 to 26". Funny, it seems to me that there aren't a lot of sinks in this range -- they seem to jump from 22 to 30". (Plenty of exceptions, of course.) Another desideratum that I didn't list in the first post was that I would prefer a shallower bowl, about 8" max.

I like everything about the Elkay except two: I'd prefer copper, and I'd like what Franke calls an "integral ledge" to hold a grid or cutting board at an elevated height. My sister has that feature, and I love it. There is an interplay with size here: one thought is to abandon the integral ledge, and get a wider sink instead. Then I could put a draining rack off to one side in the sink to serve the same purpose. But this solution wouldn't be my first choice.

• farmgirlinky
    12 years ago

i conferred with Dino Rachiele when we were planning our kitchen reno, and he was incredibly helpful -- it was because of his advice that we finally went with the Julien J7 stainless steel undermount right rear corner drain, but when the day comes that we have to replace our ancient butler's pantry copper sink, then I am definitely going with Dino Rachiele's outfit. Do take a look at his website, because he has a lot of strong and useful opinions about ergonomic sink design/depth.
    Lynn

• 500shap
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I spoke to Dino. He was very helpful and I appreciated his advice. I did ultimately go with Julien (yes, expensive) in part due to "name" recognition when I ultimately sell my apartment.