Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treeu1

Need help matte vs satin white cabinets for stain resistance

Chacha Lamacha
9 years ago

We are having custom shaker style (BM "Swiss coffee "white)cabinets made. The cabinet maker has been trying to assure me that the matte finish, if applied properly, is exactly the same for wiping clean and stain resistance. This goes against my instincts that a little sheen would be more repellent and matte more absorbent, but he insists that this is just a common misconception. It's getting to decision time and we prefer the look of the matte, but I want these cabinets to be easy cleanup and stain free.
Anyone know if my cabinet maker is correct? Personal experience anyone?

Comments (14)

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

My experience would support what you are saying - shiny is easier to wipe clean.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

There's a great, General Finishes dead flat, matte varnish. A couple of correctly applied coats could negate the washability or stainability of the finish.

Like I was, you're probably thinking what a nightmare flat finish paint is to try to clean. You may as well paint it black, right? Even then, there's be fingerprints with oil!

I think he's so right that I've coated 2 high-traffic doors with a matte finish. Water beads up and I can wipe it with Windex.

Ask him how many coats he suggests. I'm curious.

• Chacha Lamacha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great information CEFreeman. I will be talking w cabinetmaker this week and am happy to be equipped with the name of your varnish and your good reviews. I don't know if he ever discussed the varnish w us, I remember he insisted that permeability of matte paint finishes would not be an issue if several coats were properly applied and proper drying technique used. I will keep you posted!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

It could depend on the paint. My BM store says with today's paints, there is very little difference that way. I was told I could scrub the heck out of their Aura or Regal matte. Someone here does that with their 7 year old Regal matte backsplash with no problems.

Ask him for a sample of the finish to experiment on.

• chispa
    9 years ago

I painted my previous house 10 years ago and had no problem cleaning the BM and SW matte finishes. Current house was painted 2 years ago using BM Aura matte. Recently there were several handprints on the stair wall and I cleaned them the same way I always have. The paint is burnished, which I did not expect, specially as it is a light color.

In the past I was also able to touch up the matte easily, but I haven't had the time to try to touch up the burnished spots yet. Hoping touching up works as the stair wall is 2-story, so not so quick or easy to repaint.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

"I painted my previous house 10 years ago and had no problem cleaning the BM and SW matte finishes. Current house was painted 2 years ago using BM Aura matte. Recently there were several handprints on the stair wall and I cleaned them the same way I always have. The paint is burnished, which I did not expect, specially as it is a light color."

Maybe this has something to do with the change to low VOC formulas. They are still claiming scrubbable however.

This is why you have to research the heck out of things - and test for yourself.

• Chacha Lamacha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chispa, thanks so much for sharing your personal experience. And snookums2, I'm glad you're suggesting a sample. I was adamant about getting samples of countertop materials, and was much less
    assertive with the cabinet guy because we were so focused on finalizing design plans. I did ask for a sample from the cabinetmaker but I haven't been reminding him; he is much slower to respond. I assume it requires some effort to procure both types of paint and prepare the wood so he's probably hoping I forgot...

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Is this to be shop painted or field applied paint?

• Chacha Lamacha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They will be shop painted - not on site
    That's better, right? Wouldn't want paint flying all over my newly renovated kitchen I've been to their shop they have a very professional looking setup with proper ventilation.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

Ask for two sample doors, one in each finish, so you can compare them. You'll want a sample anyway so you can see how it looks in your light, and so you can bring it along to pick out counters, tile (if you do a back splash), wall color, etc. It sounds like you'll have to push him for the samples, but this is important as it's a decision you'll live with for a while.

I agree that shop painted is better.

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I agree - I think it's all in the formulation. I want matte cabinets because I think that shiny surfaces show wear a *lot* more. And cause I love the look ;) .

• ajc71
    9 years ago

"They will be shop painted - not on site
    That's better, right?"

Peacecorp:

It is all in the look (and budget) that you are after, site painted has its place for sure....some of the highest end (priced) brands are all site painted. The look is certainly not for everyone, but I don't think that this is one of those situations where one is better then the other

Because it is shop painted, the more important question to ask him is what type of finish is he using...based on your description of his shop I am assuming that he is not using a BM paint out of the can, he will be making the color of your choice in a something in either a water base or solvent based lacquer...

If it were me I would be asking what the make up of the finish is that he is using...ideally you would want a post-catalyzed finish or maybe a high performance acrylic urethane

Samples for sure can be a pain from the shop, it is not like going to the paint store and ordering a sample size and brushing it on...this is all hand made, with dry times between priming, painting and top coating

• Chacha Lamacha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks to all for the great advice. ajc71, you are so right. Asking for samples from a small shop which requires painting, dry times, top coating, etc. is asking a lot more than grabbing a paint sample from Home Depot... I sympathize with the small business guy.
    I'll be meeting with the cabinet makers at the end of the week and will post updates (and maybe more questions) - thanks again everyone for the help!