Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovetoshop_gw

Do you put pulls on the 'fake' kitchen drawers ?

lovetoshop
14 years ago

If a kitchen has "fake" drawers under the sink just above the cabinets do you still put a pull/knob on them?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• pattyk_64
    14 years ago

I have a pull on my tilt-out under the sink, as well, I have one on my other fake drawer front that's in the corner. I wish I had an actual drawer there, the KD (salesperson really) told me that it wouldn't work to put one in there, but I've been told since that I could have. (sorry, that was a bit of an aside)
    dinkledoodle: How do you open the tilt-out if there is no knob/pull on it? Just curious.

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

We never use it; it has a plastic tray that gets pretty nasty. But it has a push-type mechanism. You push against it and it tilts out a bit, then you push it again and it close.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

This is purely personal preference...there's no "rule" about it. We did not put them on...didn't see any reason to. I don't mind that it "...looks like a false drawer front..." With that reasoning, wouldn't you also put knobs on your decorative door panels? They're "false doors"....

• trudymom
    14 years ago

I did not put any pulls on anything that was fake. I did not want me or anyone else pulling on them. Glad I did it that way. That also goes for the panel under the cooktop.

• holligator
    14 years ago

My response would be the opposite of dinkledoodle's. I did put pulls on my sink tip-outs because mine did not come with any other mechanism to open them. If I had put in false drawer fronts there instead, I probably would not have put pulls on them. As trudymom said, there's no point in having people yanking on the pulls trying to open them and such pulling could cause damage. Also, some people don't like having knobs or pulls in front of the sink because they get in the way of someone working there. I have never found this to be a problem, but I can see how it could be.

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

We didn't put pulls under the sink or cooktop for the same reason as trudymom. When I asked our KD about it, she said it was totally personal preference.

• janefan
    14 years ago

I put hardware on my fakes--I have 3 1/2 (the 1/2 is an unfinished space where I stash crayons and paper) due to not being able to take a wall all the way out as originally planned...these are in the middle of one of my perimeter runs and it would look extremely weird to not have hardware. I also have hardware on my sink tilt-out.

• janefan
    14 years ago

Should add that I did NOT put hardware on the sides of the glass-doored "bookcase" at the end of my island--I thought that would look odd as they're obviously not cabinets.

• kidshop
    14 years ago

I did. All drawer fronts have knobs. I just like the way it looks better.

• Jean Farrell
    14 years ago

We didn't. Personal preference.

• kompy
    14 years ago

For those in the design phase, consider a 'full height door' cabinet instead of the standard sink base.

• Debbie Laird
    14 years ago

My old kitchen had fake drawer fronts without handles, and the fronts had been pulled on as if they were drawers so often that after a while they fell out when anyone bumped them.