Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katsmah

talking myself out of beaded inset

katsmah
13 years ago

I met with the 3rd KD/Contractor 2 weeks ago. While taking measurements he saw a backsplash inspiration photo with creamy white inset cabinets that I had taped on the side of a cabinet. I never thought they would be a possibility.

When we met with him the following weekend his price was in my budget even with the inset cabinets. A problem a work caused me to have to leave the meeting before I had a chance to really look at the floor plan and budget details. Then reality hit. The floor plan and details needed changes that we had discussed, but hadn't been included when his partner drew up the quote. The cabinet price went up significantly. That put it at the total price at the top of my budget. While I can still afford the cabinets, it would mean cutting back elsewhere, assuming that there are no other gochas. I'm still not sure how those fairly minor changes raised the price so much higher, but they did. 18K worth of cabinets in my little kitchen, in my little house, is ludicrous. And there are more details that need to be reviewed and changed.

So now I am talking myself out of going above my budget to get those pretty, creamy white beaded inset cabinets.

1.. I would have less usable drawer space, even though it would still be double the usable space I have now.

2. Most likely the grade of granite would take a hit. I really like the Costa Esmeralda, but may need to get a cheaper grade.

3.. I would have to buy the pricier dishwasher to fit the inset cabinets better.

4.. [sigh]

Any more reasons I shouldn't blow my budget and buy these cabinets?

The KD said he has a full overlay door that looks like beaded inset and would bring the cabinet price down 3K. I'll see that on Saturday.

BF isn't helping, he's telling me to buy what I like.

Comments (17)

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

first of all, are you under contract with this cabinet maker? because i have to tell you, i have a fairly large kitchen with many bells and whistles. i changed my layout every other day, added seeded glass, exposed hinges, toe kick opening trash cans, pull out toe kicks for the kids, etc, etc, etc, ...and my price stayed exactly the same. i was not over charged to begin with ...this was the best price i got out of SEVEN quotes. the cabinet maker was recommended to us by our GC and they are they BEST people i have ever had the pleasure of working with. when i met him i asked about the estimate and he told me he'd give me a price and it would include everything i wanted ...no matter when i thought of it. when the cabinets are installed i will then decide how i want the drawer inserts done ...and they'll make them up for me.

i don't mean to suggest this is the norm. we are building a new home so there is more than just a kitchen for them, BUT many contractors are still struggling for work and while i wouldn't think of taking advantage of someone, it is still a buyers market. how many quotes have you gotten? i did have a cabinet maker before the guys i ultimately hired ...and i paid him $500 to begin drawings. and then i quickly realized the prices would jump up after making the smallest change. he was also very slow in getting back to me ...it would take him over six weeks to make any revisions and would never return calls.
    after i was introduced to GC's cabinet maker he had accurate drawings for me the very NEXT day. it was ridiculous. my cabinets were delivered two days ago and six guys jumped out of the back of the truck all excited, telling me how gorgeous they are and they can't wait to see MY face when they're finally in.
    honestly, if you're being nickeled and dimed in this economy i think you should look elsewhere. jmo, though. good luck to you.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Is 3K enough of a savings to be worth not spending the 3K to get what you want?

My kitchen is my house's main opportunity for storage so I went cabinet happy, including the full overlay. Because I was used to custom framed in place I'm still getting used to how much the cabinets do not hold. The thought of paying more to get less space is ludicrous. Since you say your house is little, maybe this would be a good approach? Start with finding out how you can get the most storage and then go for a look you like that goes with that? I had about four or five different ideas of what I wanted my kitchen to look like, then followed my finishes into uncharted territory.

If there aren't a whole bunch of different looks you like, but you've always dreamt only of beaded inset, get it. Either go back to the less ideal plan, if it's something you can live with, or get a job giftwrapping at the holidays or something to pay for the extra ding.

Also consider how long you're going to be there. If you can't project yourself ten years in the future replacing a dishwasher that has died, then is it really worth the money for the beaded inset? If you're going to have it for 20 years, that's less than a thousand dollars a year for cabinets that you adore. A few dollars a day. A Starbucks. If you move in 6 years, that's $3k per year, that's over $8.00 per day. How does that feel? Compare it to how much a really nice (customized) IKEA kitchen would cost to get how much you'll "lose" if you sell soon.

Go look at Elizpiz's kitchen and see if you fall in love. Not that hers is any cheaper. Just that there's more than beaded inset to fall in love with. :)

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

katekourous, I'm not under contract with this KD, but will most likely go with him. I've spoken to his refernces and they are all very good. I'm sure that it was an honest mistake in the original quote, but it was very disappointing. I had been vacilating about my choices before I saw these cabinets, then it became very clear. The constuction is very good, I love the color and door style.

By nature, I am pretty frugal and have always lived below my means so I can afford to go higher, thats what makes this harder. I would be paying more to get less. I have a hard time working that out. I plan to be in this house for at least another dozen years, so it would even out in the end... I've turned this over and over in my head trying to make a decision. I think I need some wine with my whine.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

katsmah, I have seen (and am planning on doing) inset cabs for uppers only, and then full overlay for the lowers. I like this idea b/c then I can get the look I want while avoiding the other probs you mentioned (i.e. drawer space, DW issues). If you are interested, I think I have a couple of pics saved that show this look. Others here may also have some pics. A member here, sombreuil mongrel, did this in his kitchen. Below is a link to some of his pics; just look for his name about midway through the thread.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0110110612336.html

Also, the clickable link below has some more pics of his beautiful cabs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inset uppers w/ full overlay lower cabs

• missstella
    13 years ago

I am cabinet shopping right now too. I love the look of the inset cabinets but have found that there are a number of full overlay designs that have an edge that will give the look of a beaded inset without the added expense. I am trying to have several cabinet options that I can be happy with so I can keep (finance) the rest of my kitchen dreams alive.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

jbrig, that is a wonderful idea!! I think that might work. Except for the sink and the super susan the rest of my lower cabinets are drawers. I would love to see any pictures you have. Thank you!!

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

I'll look for those pics later tonight--if you don't see anything by tomorrow, you might want to email me through "My Page" link and remind me :-)

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

missstella, would you mind sharing the options you've found that mimic the beaded inset look? Thanks

• cjc123
    13 years ago

They are putting the final touches on my kitchen but I just had to throw in my 2 cents. I have beaded inset uppers and full over lay lowers! I love it! No one has noticed that I have two styles. I put in lots of drawers and didn't want to loose the space with inset. I haven't got time right now to figure out how to post photo's but if you will give me your email I will try to send you a few photo's. LOVE MY KITCHEN!! Dark cherry stain, super white granite. :-) Cindy

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

cjc123, if you could send your photos to ninhar @ optonline.net (remove spaces) I can upload them to my photobucket acct tonight. I would love to see your pictures.

For those who have done this, if you had a tall cabinet (pull out pantry) what did you use for that?

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With cjc123's permission this is a 'sneak peek' of her beautiful cabinets with the inset upper and full overlay lowers. I love this idea.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I did not get my dream cabinets. I got *the cheapest* door available from the cabinet line I wanted. Half inch overlay, five piece raised panel. RAISED PANEL! I did not want raised panel.
    But! I did get white painted perimeter cabs, super solid construction and the extras I wanted that will make life more functional.

Cabinets started going in yesterday and I thought they looked blah. Sinks went in this evening and hardware going on cabinets. LOVE EVERYTHING! Very glad I did not *get what I wanted* because, in the end, I am very happy with my compromises. And we are still over budget.

My observation is that when you are in the planning stage, it is like hot fire...like a new adolescent romance. You need what you want and you need it exactly like you want it and you need it right away. Then you get into the "relationship"...the remodel...and it is TEDIOUS and tiring and you are a stickler but you also realize the sea turtle population is greatly in danger from the oil spill and that girls are being sold into sexual slavery in Asia and small dings and scuffs are tolerable and the bigger picture lets you *be happy* with all that you have!

Three thousand is a good amount to have on hand for the unexpected!

• missstella
    13 years ago

Katsmah,

I think the Schrock--Brantley door style and the Dynasty Omega door styles Williamsburg, Marco and Beringer can give an inset look partly because they all have a square edge, and a "routed" edge that look like the frame of an inset cabinet. Also, the use of glazes can be used to highlight these edges. Mind you, this is my opinion, but with a full overlay I think the eye can be fooled/satisfied with a cabinet like this.

I personally like the upper inset with a lower full overlay idea, I'm putting that in my idea book.

Hope this is helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Nancy in Mich
    13 years ago

Katsma,
    Can you sand? Paint? The third kitchen down in the link below is a beaded inset kitchen in pine. You can have it, and the granite, butcher block, pot filler, Bosch dishwasher, microwave, under-cabinet lighting, sink, furniture feet, crown molding, and glass door fronts for $11000.

You are lucky to be so close to Green Demolition stores. I had to buy mine sight-unseen and pay to fly someone to CT to drive a Budget rental truck with my kitchen inside home to Michigan.

Of course, the first kitchen in the link is all pained and nice, but you said you had a small kitchen and it likely wouldn't fit. Could you imagine having it though?

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Demolitions

• katsmah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm going to have to see the doors the KD has in mind. I think I know which ones they are from the Starmark line. They look ok.

Nancy, you bought a kitchen from Green Demolition? Wow, I just recently heard of them but haven't been to their store yet. I'm about 20 mins from the NJ store. I'll have to check that out. That first kitchen in the link is beautiful and also the size of my house.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

katsmah,

Well, I couldn't find them if I had any other pics, but I did find this one online. Unfortunately, it's not easy to see the lowers. Can't wait to see how your kitchen progresses! (I still need to get all my info together and post my proposed layout to get some insight from others here.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaker inset uppers, overlay lower cabs