Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charliehorse99

Most complicated under counter plugmold in the world? (pics!)

charliehorse99
11 years ago

I'm wraping up a kitchen remodel and I thought folks here might be interested in some of the details. One interesting detail is the Plugmold (aka Wiremold / Plug Mold)

Legrand Wiremold AL2000 series (clear anodized aluminum finish).

What makes this plugmold most complicated?:

1. It is recessed above a quartz full heigh backsplash. That is, instead of being mounted in front of the backsplash, it's mounted to the the wall behind, creating a recessed look and reducing the projection into the workspace. This required planning at the counter templating to reduce the full height BS enough to allow for the raceway to be mounted an an angle. We guessed a little and gave a little more height than probably necessary, but it was probably helpful to have during the tight installation. We did mount it about 1/4" outward from the edge of the backsplash to cover the rough BS material edge and hide some variation in BS height. I will probably end up caulking the bottom edge of the raceway between the BS to close the small gap visible from the underside

2. It's angled downward toward the countertop. This is a custom angled solution using plywood wedges and shims behind. This creates a more ergonomic plug insertional/removal.

3. Four pieces of raceway are lined up on three separate walls, all connected by two compound miters. One cut is inward at 45-degrees and one is outward at the same angle.

4. GFCI is located inside one of the lower cabinets. This required a lot of advance planning to have the plugmold wiring enter the lower cabinet and then re-emerge right at the point below the upper cabinets.

5. Integrated the under counter LED lighting wiring into the same raceway (for a small portion). This made for less visible wires for the UCL.

The miters were VERY difficult, and working with 12-gauge wire inside the raceway was very frustrating. The mitered edges are not bonded with anything, they are just lined up as close as possible. It's not perfect but I think it looks better than terminating the raceway before each corner.

We used raceway blanks above the sink since there is no useful reason to have plugs there.

There are no holes in the solid quartz backsplash now, which was the goal, and it puts outlets in some useful locations. The photos are taken from an angle below typical standing height so people in the room would generally not even see the plugmold or UCL's, but if you are seated at the island these are visible.

Parts were orded online from a site called Mr. Supply (they did great!).

Here is a list of the parts I used, with part numbers:

Wiremold, Aluminum Plugmold, Plugmold Multi Outlet Strip, AL20GB506

Wiremold, Aluminum Plugmold - AL2000 Series, Blank End Fitting, AL2010B

Wiremold, Aluminum Plugmold - AL2000 Series, Coupling, AL2001

Wiremold, Aluminum Plugmold - AL2000 Series, Cover Clip (Spring Steel), AL2006

Wiremold, Aluminum Plugmold - AL2000 Series, Raceway Base, AL2000B-5

Wiremold, Aluminum Plugmold - AL2000 Series, Raceway Cover, AL2000C-5.

Cuts were made with a saw blade meant for aluminum.

Labor was extensive. I would guess 2 people for 6+ hours, not including the electrical rough-in.

I hope you find this helpful for your plugmold adventures!

Comments (21)

• carolml
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks fantastic. This page is definitely heading to my favourites - we were talking about how to do this yesterday. I'll pass it on to my DH/electrician!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

We also put in plug mold and used angle strips of wood but placed the plug mold along the bottom of the cabinets so with the trim basically invisible. The PM is actually on the cabinet frame, I have pictures posted on a recent thread but not on computer and having difficulty copying the link from my DHs new toy (iPad )

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Looks great, Charliehorse!

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Angie_DIY and Carolml!

I should have said "under cabinet" not "under counter", oops!

• maggieq
    11 years ago

Good job! Which quartz is used?

thanks.

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chroma brand (via Pental), Chrystal White.

Will post more pics as the rest of the kitchen develops. Today we are installing anodized aluminum toe kick!

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a photo update: Anodized aluminum toe kick on the island.

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Congrats, looks very sleek. I'm curious though - how do you plan to deal with appliance cords? Will you keep things put away and bring out when you need them?

Love the island wood. Is that tiger maple by any chance?

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi oldbat2be. Correct. Generally we have a minimalist aesthetic so no appliance should be left out anyway, so I don't think cords will be an issue since they are temporary.

Another nearly completed feature of the kitchen we have yet to reveal to GW is what I call the "Appliance Kiosk", which is a pantry converted to an uber-garage using anodized aluminum tambours, and inside is a working quartz countertop and 4" backsplash, with outlets and shelves for all the kitchen appliances to be stored and used in place. When the overhead door is closed nothing inside is visible.

The wood is all *quarter-sawn* Walnut.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

charliehorse, love the look of the plugmold. Your appliance kiosk sounds similar (but perhaps a little more elaborate) to what we have planned - it's where the stuff that stays plugged in all the time will reside. The plugmold area will be for things that are used and then put away.

Can't wait to see more updates!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Love the quarter-sawn wood. It surprised me that was walnut. I'm looking forward to the next reveal!

• iroll_gw
    11 years ago

Beautiful, charliehorse, can't wait for more photos.

We didn't do plugmold, couldn't convince DH it was safe (sigh).
    But I always wonder why everybody has to do their own customizing to get it angled (which seems to be the best, most user-friendly arrangement). Why aren't there kits available from the plugmold mfr.'s to do just this?

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I will link below a website that sells angled plug mold. I am wondering why you didn't use something like that instead of installing the angle yourself separately.

I too was going to ask what you are going to do about the dangling appliance cords in that gorgeous minimalist backsplash. The appliance kiosk sounds fantastic. Can't wait to see pics.

That Walnut is breathtaking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angled Plugmold

• andreak100
    11 years ago

charlie - I saw that you are using the LED strips for UC lighting - would you mind sharing a bit more information about what you used and your thoughts on your choice now that it's in place?

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

akchicago:

I did look at the pre-made angled plugmold, but a few reasons prevented me from using it. 1. very expensive 2. did not want the brushed nickel finish, prefer the anodized aluminum look to match my tambour doors and toe kick. 3. I had two miter cuts to deal with and needed blank raceway over the sink, so really using the pre-made product didn't give me the options to fully integrate it since it is not meant to be cut and does not come with other parts needed.

andreak100:

Regarding the LED strips, I used Philips Color Kinetics eW Profile Powercore LED strips. I used several different length sticks to make two contiguous runs separated by a small connecting cable to make a 45-degree turn. These were purchased from Farralane lighting, & audio inc., online, which had a pretty good price if you register for the website. I purchased the "Gray" housing which is metal and really looks almost like anodized silver aluminum (but the plastic parts are gray).

The LEDs are covered by a diffusing lens, which I think helps spread the light around uniformly. Note that they mount toward the front edge of the cabinet, not in the back, and they light both the coutntertop and backsplash, pointing away from the user. I liked this better than some LED options that seem to point only down or only back.

These come in three different color temperatures, I elected the middle option of 3000K, and I think they look nice color wise, but I have not seen the other options to know how they compare.

These LED bars use 120v, and because of this required no hidden transformer. There is an in-line switch and wiring box option that I used to clip directly on to the end of the LED bars. Very integrated looking and you can turn them off and on by flipping the switch right there under the cabinets.

Note that I did ALSO install an in-line 120v switch in the lower cabinets with the intent of using a dimmer with these, since they are dim-able. The idea was to keep the dimmer set at the desired light level and turn it off and on daily using the under cabinet switch. However, I went through a few dimmers trying to find one that worked well with it (and eliminated buzzing), but was never very happy with that. Therefore, I removed the dimmer and just put a switch in-line (or I could have hard wired them to be always on I suppose but I didn't have the right coverplate).

Overall, I am very happy with the LEDs. I am also installing one of these in the Appliance Kiosk underneath the bottom shelf to light the work surface (the toaster oven is mounted above the counter and blocks the overhead lighting), and the LEDs will turn on with the same switch as the overhead recessed light. I'll post more about the Appliance Kiosk soon!

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, I'd like to respond to akchicago's point about why there aren't kits for doing angled plugmold. I think the reason is that plugmold really is not intended for these kinds of applications. Usually plugmold is used in commercial or institutional applications where the building structure does not allow for in-wall wiring. For example, cinder block walls can't easily run wires inside. Therefore, plugmold is used as both the wire conduit and the outlet gang boxes as a single product. I've typically seen it used in buildings a few feet above the floor and running the length of entire walls to get plugs where they need to be. Since I assume 99% of the applications do not require an angle or anything other than a 90-degree turn so it's just not on the radar of the manufacturers to address our esoteric kitchen applications.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I also looked at the commercial angled plug mold and thought it was very clunky. I did leave a couple of outlets on the wall based on GW feedback on PG.
    So far I love it

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Finally mastered DM iPad copy/paste from photobucket. it is not totally intuitive and sometimes works one way and other times slightly differently.

Now you see it....

Now you don't!

I actually have one outlet on this wall, so can switch the coffee pot and grinder to a wall mount.

In any case, I will never run out of outlets!

I left DH home alone, so don't have specific brand information with me...

• charliehorse99
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's been a while since I posted here, but the project is finished and you can see some high quality photos here, including the appliance kiosk. Enjoy!

http://www.houzz.com/projects/328609/Vineyard-Mountain-Remodel

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Remodel on Houzz

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow - thanks for sharing!
    Great and stylish kitchen and love the pet bowls that were built into the kitchen as well.
    Your plug mold was my inspiration - not quite as fancy as yours but similar in function!