Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
addycal75_gw

42" sink base cabinet for apron sink...can I do 36" sink?

addycal75
10 years ago

I am about to pull the trigger on my farmhouse/apron front sink. I am really on the fence and reaching out to the genius minds of GW. I have a 42" apron front base cabinet (inset/dynasty cabinets). I think we went that big because we had to center under the window and there is a dishwasher on the left. Anyhow, that is already done. My decision is, 36" farmhouse sink (which only leaves me with two choices right now and one is the Kohler Whitehaven which comes out really far and the other is the Shaws fireclay which freaks me out) or 33" farmhouse sink (which has more options and is not quite as giant). Is 36" giant? Will a 33" look silly with 42" cabinet? Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (21)

• User
    10 years ago

Why not do a 36" base flanked with two 3" decorative posts? Or even a 30" base with two 6" decorative posts.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

My Whitehaven is installed but not yet operational (plumber Monday). I did, however, belly up to the sink to simulate washing up dishes there and honestly it is fine. It feels way more comfortable than my old under mount sink. The Whitehaven is a glorious looking sink. I went with plain white and was worried that it would be blah but it isn't. The porcelain enamel is beautiful and the sink will probably be the star of the kitchen!

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

My brand new 36 inch Whitehaven sink isn't operational yet but it's in the cabinet and I've stood in front of it and I think it's going to be awesome!

I also worried that it was going to be huge but it doesn't seem any bigger than the Kohler double basin I took out.

Good luck with your decision! For some reason, picking the sink was one of the hardest decisions I made. I got the smart divide Whitehaven which is a brand new model in Cane Sugar. It's very pretty and I'm excited about the way it looks in the my kitchen.

• CPere
    10 years ago

addycal75-what did you decide to do?

I have a question for you and the rest of the GW community: how do you feel about your single basin apron sinks? I love the Kohler cast iron apron sinks and want to put one in our new kitchen but worry about losing the second basin....do you like the single, large basin? Is it hard to fill or less functional than the double basin sinks?

• addycal75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I ended up with the kohler whitehaven 36"! Thanks for all of your help. The number of decisions is becoming overwhelming. I'm in the home stretch. I'm so grateful for all the input. The sink and cabinets will be installed Saturday. Fingers crossed that it comes together!

• addycal75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For those searching for a sink...I must say that this Kohler Whitehaven 36" sink, single bowl...does not seem big at all. It sounds big and looks enormous in the box but it is not at all big. The sloping interior means that it does not look like a trough in my not so giant kitchen. I was worried it would look out of place. I will put up pics at some point. Everything is covered right now as the floors are being done. Hopefully next Friday all will be ready:)
    Thanks for helping. Also, it fits great in the 42" and just needed some support. Don't we all?

• millmacc
    10 years ago

Everyone still pleased with their Whitehavens? I'm probably purchasing the 35 " /tall apron for my 42" inch base but my cabinet base is standard and my cabinet guy is just going to adjust my cabinets--add support and trim where necessary, shorten doors. Has anyone else done this?

• Kristianne Moke Myers
    7 years ago

How has everyone handled this? Currently facing the same problem.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

These 33" Kohler apron front sinks were installed into 36" cabinets. You're looking at a trade-off. Kohler didn't make a 36" so I had to cut and reapply the old false drawer front on these failed sink rod repair jobs. It beats the heck out of replacing the tops.

• Lori Benshoff
    4 years ago

Thanks for the pictures ... this helps. I also have a 42" sink base and want to put a 36" farm sink and wonder how it's going to look on the sides... Anyone have any other photos on how it looks? .... or do I just go with an undermount sink :(... need to to make a decision fast... cabinets are on the way.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

ibanshoff:

My pictures are of retrofitted sinks. You have new cabinets, so you can get the 36" sink base and fillers to avoid the returned drawer ends like my pictures.

• Sheila Kent
    4 years ago

I know this is an old string but, would you mind posting a photo of your sink install over the 42" cabinet? I'm also doing an apron farm sink with the shorter apron over a 42" cabinet. Thank you!

• Sheila Kent
    4 years ago

@addycal75 see above message!

• PRO
  • Ryan Meuse
    3 years ago

Trying to revive this thread - does anyone have pictures of a retrofit using a 36 inch farmhouse sink on a 42 inch wide standard base cabinet? One that DOESN't use the blank pieces like Joseph posted? Just blank wood on either side?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Blank wood on either side would look stupid.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Correction:

I mislabeled the dimensions on my above pictures. Those are 36" sinks in 42" cabinets. Sorry.

• Nicole Meuse
    3 years ago

Why would it look stupid? Does anyone have pictures so I can just for myself?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nicole:

If the end pieces I pictured above were missing, you'd be looking at an exposed cabinet style and the top and bottom rail on each end and a hole between the three. The drawer end covers the void and makes your eye continue the line from the doors upward. A flush piece in the void would have to fit perfectly, be finished matched, would not continue the line, and would therefore look stupid.

You're not going to find any pictures because no one would ever go through that much work for something that's not going to look good.

Here's a full size 33" apron sink properly mounted in a 36" cabinet. The distance from the cabinet end to the sink apron end will be 3" on your job, not the 1 1/2" pictured here which I admit doesn't look too bad.

That sink was replaced by this short apron Elkay Quartz Luxe. The bottom of the apron now lines up with the adjacent drawer bottom, and there is virtually no cabinet face exposed which I think looks better. I made the customer find a factory painted color match trim (you provide, you agree color matches) which I installed above and flush with the top of the middle rail to fill the gap. That didn't have to fit nearly as nicely as flush side fillers would have to, because only the person reaching under the sink will ever see it.

• Nicole Meuse
    3 years ago

Thanks for the detail!!