Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackchamois

WWFD (Francoise)

blackchamois
11 years ago

I recently posted on the new Caesarstone Wild Rice. Francoise, you mentioned this would have been a contender for you had it been out at the time you were doing your kitchen.

I'm looking for some ideas for a backsplash. What might YOU have done with white cabs and Wild Rice?

Also, I was looking for some pics of your kitchen, but can't seem to find a post. Do you have a link? I'd love to see!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg061633439242.html

Comments (10)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi BlackChamois,

I was so smitten by your 2 x 4 Calacatta marble backsplash idea in your recent post (link below) that I'd be loath to make any suggestions that would send you in another direction.

I had actually looked at a very similar backsplash to your bevelled Calacatta last summer before I picked a 2 x 4 inch white ceramic tile backsplash instead. I loved it. The bevel provides a slightly more contemporary/update to subway tile (the different size format also feels fresh compared to the standard 3 x 6) which should work well with your Caesarstone/quartz.

Like you, I was torn between many different "looks" for the kitchen and also couldn't decide between gray and white cabinets.

This Michael Smith kitchen (House Beautiful June 2007) was one of my inspirations kitchens. I liked the soft contrast between the painted cabinets, Lagos Azul counters, and handmade bejmat backsplash tiles. I even got samples of Lagos Azul and soon realized that it was the most impractical countertop known to man (it itched and scratched immediately). I think I was so smitten by your Caesarstone Wild Rice sample picture because it reminded me of the soft gray brown colors in Lagos Azul. I like my honed black granite counters. And they are oh-so practical. But they don't have the soft beauty of the Lagos Azul.

In the end I don't think my actual kitchen achieved the soft "English" look of the Michael Smith kitchen (other aesthetic impulses pulled me in other directions). I haven't done the grand reveal on GW yet because I haven't yet figured out how to take good inside pictures of the kitchen. But I promise to post a reveal soon.

For now here are a few shots:

The breakfast banquette area (still waiting for a back cushion):

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: BlackChamois's post on backsplashes

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Francoise, your kitchen looks great! I can't wait to see the big reveal. Could you please tell me what range hood you used?

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Kaysd,

Thank you!

The vent hood is a 36" wide 24" deep Best by Broan K42 model.
    We got the hood pre-reno for our old stove, a Chambers B.

Getting the new vent hood started a domino effect. We started thinking, hey, a new kitchen with new appliances is pretty fun.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Kaysd, Just for fun, here is a picture of the new vent hood with our old stove in our pre-reno kitchen. I was so happy to have a vent after many years without one. But it does look kind of silly:
    {{!gwi}}

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

Francoise! I love your kitchen as well. Your brushed countertops helped us decide on ours!!
    Now I'm in the banquette planning stages and CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME find a table that works for our space. May I ask what you have and where you got it?

Thank you and I can't wait for the big reveal either!! HDR images work great inside and out. (even as an iPhone app)

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Francoise, I do agree your hood looks a bit more at home in your new kitchen. I understand the domino effect -- I scored some great deals on high end appliances (Wolf range, Gagg/Thermador columns) when a local store went out of business, but I will probably go broke building a kitchen "worthy" of the appliances. Having to pay retail for a hood is killing me.

I like the way your hood looks. How do you like the performance? Is it loud? Does it capture well? Are the mesh filters easy to clean? I really want baffle filters, but there are not many options for a 42" hood with baffle filters and at least 800 cfm.

On another topic, do you have fingerprint issues with your honed black granite? I love the look.

(Sorry to threadjack, BlackChamois.)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Hi Kaysd,

I am very happy with the hood. Because it captures well and has lots of power, I usually just run it on the lowest setting. It is audible to be sure, but not so loud I can't talk to guests in a normal voice. Higher settings are great for pan grilling steaks, etc. I like the mesh just fine and wash it in the dishwasher every three or four weeks. The mesh is made out of a high quality stainless steel and still looks like new after three years. The advise I got on the appliance forum two or three years ago is that mesh is fine for folks like me who mostly run the vent on low to medium. Baffles seemed like overkill for my 30 inch range. My only complaint about the hood is that the switch to turn on the lights and control the speed is a bit small.

We've had no problems with our honed black granite -- no finger prints or water rings.

• blackchamois
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Francoise - Your kitchen is lovely! Thank you for the sneak peek! I love banquette - so wish I had room for one!

I really like that calacutta brick too. I didn't have the Wild Rice at the time so I'm not sure how the two would look together. I'll have to consider that for sure!

I know it will all come together, hopefully sooner rather than later. I need my kitchen back! :)

• vidyaram
    11 years ago

Francoise
    Love your kitchen and the banquette!
    What is the colro on your walls? It is beautiful!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Dear Vidyaram -- Thank you!

The wall color is Farrow and Ball "Elephant's Breath".
    The cabinets and trim are "Wimborne White," also a F & B color.

Originally I wanted a cream/yellow for the walls. But Elephant's Breath just looked so right with the cabinets I couldn't resist.

The great thing about a white neutral kitchen, is that I can change the wall color every five years (based on past experience I know I will!) for a totally new look.