Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelerfan_2010

Finished Kitchen - Cherry

steelerfan_2010
13 years ago

I am new to posting but have been lurking on the site for a period of time. I am forever grateful to the people that frequent this site and the vast amount of knowledge available.

Demo started Jan 28, 2010 and the installer was in the house for 7 weeks. Of course there were some bumps in the road but we are happy with the end result and think our new kitchen is great.

We replaced tile with tile from the entry foyer, hallway, powder room, kitchen, and laundry room. This gave us the opportunity to update the powder room also.

I enjoyed the process, hope I have an opportunity to do this again in the future. I look forward to answering questions for others as they begin their kitchen renovations.

I am happy to answer any questions!

Here are the details:

Cabinets  Brookhaven Pelham Manor Raised, PMRA wall, base & drawer

o Finish = Fireside with Black Glaze (089B)

o Wood =Cherry

o Glass = Antiqued Glass & grille wire

Counter tops  Gialita Granite

Floor Tile  Daltile Brancacci Windrift Beige #BC02 12x12" and 18x18" Pinwheel Pattern

Grout  TEC Parchment #991, Sanded

Backsplash  6x6 Graal Almond Fieldtile & Rhomboid Med Glass Seashore Harlequin w/ Antique Gold Large Ogee Frame

Grout  TEC Birch sanded

Under Cab Angle Power Strips Âfrom Task Lighting, customized with light switches

Under Cab Lighting  Sempria LED from Task Lighting

Knobs & Pulls  Top Knobs. German Bronze Finish, Knobs = M200, Handles = M918: 5" center and M921: 8 ¾" center

Appliances:

o 36" Gas Cooktop  DCS CTD365N

o 30" Elec/Conv Wall Oven  DCS WOU-130

o Broan Range Hood & Broan In Line Blower  RMPE7004 & ILB6

o Panel Ready Warming Drawer  Dacor IWD30

o Microwave Drawer  Sharp KB6025MS

o Panel Ready Dishwasher  Miele 62470SCV1

o Refrigerator  Jenn Air JCD2295KEP

o ISE Hot/Cold

Kitchen Faucet  Delta Leland D978SSDST

Soap Dispenser - Kohler

Stainless Steel Double Bowl Sink  Mirabelle Undermount 10" and 8"

Recessed Lighting  Halo H5ICAT  8 cans

Halo Trim Rings - 5020H 5" White Trim, Haze Reflector

Minka Lighting:

o Table Chandelier

o Island Pendants

o Foyer Chandelier

Window Treatments  Hunter Douglas Vignette Tiered Roman Shades

Powder Room Faucet - Kohler Devonshire ORB

PR Toilet  Kohler Devonshire Biscuit

PR Sink  Kohler Devonshire Biscuit Undermount 18x14

PR Granite  Verde Butterfly Granite

PR Knobs & Pulls  Cliffside #M992SB

Before:

{{!gwi}}

After:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen album

Comments (39)

• chipongo
    13 years ago

Looks GREAT! We made some really similar choices--I haven't posted yet (waiting to finish painting), but our cab style and color, granite, backsplash (even the harlequin pattern) and floor color (we used Marmoleum) are almost identical. So, um, I think you have great taste! :-) Really, it's lovely and has so much added character and warmth compared to the before.

• wallycat
    13 years ago

Beautiful!!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

From very blah to really fantastic! So rich and elegant. The perfect combination of materials and details to create this well-put-together room. Nice job. You must walk in and just gaze in awe and delight...as you should!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Very lovely, warm and inviting....Enjoy your beautiful space!

• nishka
    13 years ago

Very nice!!! I love the backsplash design behind your cooktop.

Just like chipongo, I made very similar choices too. Our kitchen layout and cabinets are almost identical but I opted not to take them to the ceiling (might regret that later) and use a stainless steel hood and stainless steel apron sink.

I got DCS appliances too, the 36" range and a double drawer dishwasher. I have Dacor now, and hoping I like the DCS better.

I haven't decided on my granite or backsplash yet, and demo starts next week. Thanks for posting. You have given me a few ideas.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

That looks so awesome. The cherry is beautiful and really transformed the room. CONGRATULATIONS....nice job!!!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

I'm a cherry cabinet afficionado myself, and I love the combination with the light flooring, counter, and backsplash.

Your granite is luscious!

Thank you for sharing the end product and tracking specific choices you made. It's so helpful for those who come here at the beginning of the process.

• thankurnmo
    13 years ago

That is really stellar. (and I like your user name too good choice in teams:)
    Now I am truly seeing how much better the panel on the fridge adds, among other things.
    I am also anxiously awaiting your pix of the powder room. (or did I miss them? I looked at the album but it was only your gorgeous kitchen).

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

I much prefer the look of wood over painted cabinets so I really love what you did. Congratulations on a job well done! Truly an amazing transformation.

• melinrk
    13 years ago

Beautiful.
    I did the exact same cabinets in the exact same finish (we have great taste :) )...it's so great to see it in a very different kitchen.
    Just goes to show everyone who is working on their kitchens that there is no wrong way to do things. Different granite, backsplash & hoods can look great with the same cabinets.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

What an inviting and practical space! Kudos!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wonderful - what a great change from before. Your cabinet color really defines the kitchen. I love your granite too. Great choices.

• hellonasty
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen!! It's lovely. Enjoy!!

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

Well done!!! You've created a very warm and beautiful space. The cabinets are gorgeous - also love your backsplash and island. Enjoy!!!

• gobruno
    13 years ago

Great transformation! Love the backsplash. I didn't see pics of you PR. Was it in your album? Enjoy your beautiful space!

• steelerfan_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks to everyone that posted such kind words about the new kitchen. I worried about a cherry kitchen since it seems many of the beuatiful new kitchens on Garden Web are white, but I have always loved cherry wood and there was not any debate that I would go with cherry.

chipongo- I look forward to seeing your finished kitchen since there are so many similiarties.

nishka- I also look forward to seeing your finished kitchen. My choice of DCS took some time.. I considered 36" Monogram range but it was a budget buster for us. I knew I would go with a 36" cooktop and looked at many. DCS was the winner because I liked the sytle of the knobs to the side and ALL BURNERS SIMMER! I was not so enamored of the DCS oven - I really wanted the Monogram wall oven, but the only combination I could make work was DCS and DCS. I have been using both for about 2 months and I am very happy - hope you like your choice!

sheilaaus - Thank you - we LOVE the Steelers and are looking forward to a new season starting. I also was unsure of the fridge panels but that small wall is a favorite part of the kitchen - I especially like dropping the cabinet to the counter.

melinrk- yes - I noticed we had the same exact cabinets! While mine were on order , the KD told me she was working with two other kitchen projects with the same exact cab! I loved your kitchen when you posted - so much room! And I especially liked your hood choice.

gobruno & sheilaaus - I have added a new album with a few pics of the powder room (and entry chandy and updated fireplace). The pics of the PR are not great - it is a tiny room. I did not take one of the toliet as I didn't think anyone would really be too interested :):)

Here is a link that might be useful: look for the album titled powder room

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

WOW that is a really beautiful kitchen! The backsplash looks lovely with the granite and cabinets. Love the pop of color over the stove! nicely done!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very nice transformation--warm and inviting!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Very nice! It all works together so well, and somehow it makes the space seem larger while also appearing more inviting. Well done.

• marybeth1
    13 years ago

Very pretty and well thought out. It's so nice to see a wood kitchen for a change. It looks so bright yet warm. I LOVE what you did behind the stove. Great job! Enjoy!

• debpic
    13 years ago

Very nice, looks sooo much more inviting and I love your back splash! Too funny we're finishing our kitchen and our cabinets are similar and I have the same light fixtures. Enjoy your new kitchen it is very pretty!

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

Wow, what a transformation--lovely! Would you happen to have a close-up pic of the back splash over the cooktop? It looks really neat (I'm trying to get ideas).

Thanks.

• kodak1
    13 years ago

I love, love , love your kitchen. It's so beautiful. Enjoy your new space.

• steelerfan_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Again - many thanks to everyone posting with the kind words for our kitchen - we certainly appreciate it!

debpic - I look forward to seeing your kitchen when it is complete. I love the Minka lighting. I selected it at the place where I selected sinks, faucets, ets. They had a small lighting gallery and I knew that was ideal for me. I love the enormous lighting stores, but it is too overwhelming for me to make a decision!

tracey b- There is a link to the album with other close ups of the backsplash, but here is one... We love the backsplash. We originally planned for a tile mural with a scene from the Amalfi coast in Italy, but DH and I saw this at the same time and fell instantly in love. The pics do not really do it justice as it is hard to get a good pic with a flash. This pic has the hood lights on and the colors are washed out. Everyone who sees the backsplash comments that it is stunning. Thank you!

{{!gwi}}

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Now that's amazing. Warm, bright, light and reuses a nice floorplan. Congratulations.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I absolutely love, love, love your granite. What an awesome slab or slabs! Everything goes together perfectly. I love the backsplash design behind your range too! My new cabinets are cherry too! I just love the warmth of your new kitchen. Enjoy!

• swspitfire
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen!! Fabulous transformation.
    Enjoy!!

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

Thanks for the closeup! I have another pic very similar to yours that I've been holding on to for "inspiration"; I'm adding yours to it. I like how I could use something like that to tie all my house's colors together like that.

Tracey

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

What a lovely transformation! From cold to warm and elegant. I absolutely love your backsplash. Completely droolworthy. Congratulations!

• techmom1
    13 years ago

Spectacular transformation - and I too love the backsplash! Enjoy many wonderful meals and memories in your new kitchen.

• organicviolin
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! Did you use a CKD from Brookhaven to help you with your layout? If so, did you like working with that company? I had my first meeting with a BH's KD yesterday. She did a preliminary drawing for me and plans to come out to my house this week. We will then compare her bid w/ our contractors custom cabinet guy. We are debating the whole custom v/s semi-custom. It is a total new layout, natural cherry, shaker style-(walls coming down) I am a new member to this site as of today, if you have advice, I would love it!

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

Steelerfan_2010, I just love your cherry cabinets from the style, to the color, to the door knobs and drawer handles, to how they come up to ceiling with crown molding that matches the cabinets! I love your floor tile. I also love your granite. When I am ready I am going to see which of these beautiful features will look nice in my small kitchen. If the cherry cabinets are out of my budget, at least I can dream for the future but maybe get the granite or the tile floors.

• doraville
    13 years ago

It would be hard to pick what I like best. However, I really appreciated your simple backsplash with the diamond inset. However did you think of that? Great job. Enjoy!

• steelerfan_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi organicviolin- Thank you for your message!

Welcome to Garden Web! Although I have also just started posting this week I found this site last summer - around the time we were finalizing appliances and signing contract with KD. You will find that there are many resources here with much more experience and knowledge than I have!

I LOVED the process of this project. My DH is a saint and patiently spent every Sat with me shopping as we progressed thru the project.

We used a local KD that sells Brookhaven cabs. We did interview 2 KD's. The other KD sold custom cabs and the prices were similiar. For us, we made the selection based on how we felt working with the KD. The footprint of our kitchen didn't provide much opportunity for creativity, so the layouts were similiar to each other and similair to what we had. By the time we signed the contract we probably had 4 meetings with each KD and we felt very comfortable with the Brookhaven KD and her approach to working with her clients. We were open from the start and told each of the KD we were getting a competivite bid.

It took me a period of weeks to move back into the kitchen, but I can tell you that we love the Brookhaven cabinets in the short time we have been using them.

I posted a rough timeline on stacie's question about process if you are interested in any more information.

hth

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

I was out of town for a couple of days and missed this. Wow, just gorgeous! The backsplash is amazing with the harlequin pattern and picture frame bronze tile. Beautiful granite, too!

• willis13
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Thanks for pointing me to this link :)

• stefb
    13 years ago

Love your kitchen! I'm just starting our project using recycled cherry cabinets. Always wanted cherry, and still love it even though it may not be what's "in" now. By the time we sell this house, who knows what people will want? Maybe old cherry cabinets! The granite you chose is beautiful, too and I know you must be loving it. Congrats on all those decisions!

• starpooh
    13 years ago

Wow steelerfan! You have designed a beautiful kitchen. I love your backsplash!

May I please archive it in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    You can either give permission here in your post or send me an email: starpooh@gmail.com.
    Then, when you find the time, please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thanks!!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. You did a wonderful job--so warm and inviting. Enjoy!!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler