Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyleef

Please look at kitchen cabinet layout/design

14 years ago

Hello:) I need some advice, PLEASE!

We are a young couple building a house and I need some feedback on the design of our cabinets. We plan on living in this home for the rest of our lives and I know that many of you have built several houses and had several kitchens so you know what works and doesn't...:) If you can offer some advice or guidance on any changes you recommend I would appreciate it. I'm so scared we're going to sink a ton of money into the kitchen and I'm going to hate it...:(

Also, I am open to moving appliances/cabinets around etc i. I need to have this all finalized within the next week so PLEASEEEEEEEEEEe offer suggestions!

PS As of now the cabinetry is glazed off white with a antique black island....what sort of hood range do you recommend?

Wasn't sure how to post the pdf here so I just uploaded it to my web site: Ignore all my handwritten notes...they were just tentative thoughts...

http://www.amyleesellsproperty.com/cabinets0001.pdf

Thanks so much everyone!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    14 years ago

At first glance, I'd move the cooktop off the island. That's the only thing I find objectionable. Most places won't allow you to put it in front of a wondow though, so finding a place to put it may be a challenge. I'm not sure there's room between the ovens and fridge, but that would be my first choice if it could have sufficient landing space on either side.

You have a funky space with all those angled walls, but I think most of the things you've done have taken advantage of that and made it interesting.

• 14 years ago

I'm not going to make more specific suggestions without seeing a floor plan of the house - but offhand, I'd put the clean up sink on the wall with the window and consolidate the two islands into one larger one.

• 14 years ago

I can't even find the fridge or ovens etc.

hard to read for me

what rooms are connected to it?

• 14 years ago

Thank goodness you're moving the cooktop off the island! That's one of the worst designs I've seen for a cooktop island!

The following information would be very helpful:

Dimensions of the space...walls/windows/doors & distances b/w them. A to-scale layout on graph paper is ideal. However, we at least need the measurements. (Yes, there are some measurements on your layout, but not enough.)

A layout showing the connecting rooms, preferably the entire first floor. It allows us to see how the kitchen fits in with the rest of the rooms, what traffic flows are, etc.

How do you plan to use the space? Do you plan to have a family?

Checkout the Layout section of the "Read Me" thread (linked below) for what information we need to effectively help you.

It is a little difficult to read some of the pages b/c they're so light.

Tentatively, can you move things around so the sink is on the wall, probably under the windows? Maybe move the ovens to the end of the run to the right of the windows. Then, put the cooktop on the wall that the ovens were on.

But, until I know what's all around the kitchen I can't say for certain my "tentative" ideas will work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• 14 years ago

I know how frustrating coming up with a plan can be!

Is your main work surface the base in front of the window? I agree with bemore to consolidate surfaces. The smaller island with the cooktop will seem more of a barrier when you need to walk around it constantly and the sink with the raised counter does not offer much. The cooktop island does not offer additional surface to place items for cooking or hot food.

My thought without seeing the entire space is to connect the kitchen island to the area by the window and have a large pennisula. Making the area more of a G and putting the cooktop closer to the end. What is the space by the ovens? Is that a doorway? Do you have a separate pantry?

There are some very helpful people on this forum, good luck with your building!