Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkasch

Do you have a desk in your kitchen???

jkasch
13 years ago

I am having a built in desk in my kitchen. I would really like to see what others have done in this regard. Would you mind posting pictures. I am particularly interested in knowing. . .

1. If you put the same top on your desk as you did your counters in your kitchen?
  2. Do you have any storage built into your desk area?
  3. What do you have above your desk, i.e., shelves, display case, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Julie

Comments (7)

• vate
    13 years ago

Here you go:

Before the remodel, the desk was there but without shelving or cabinets above (just the wall and an old Nutone intercom). I designed the hutch specifically to house the new intercom system, and to have adjustable shelves. The vertical center piece also has a cable run built into the back so computer and other cables would have a place to go. Finally, I built the section on the right specifically for the monitor, which also doubles as a TV (Apple Macbook with Elgato TV tuner). I have it mounted on an Ergo mount, which enables it to be raised and pulled out so you can see it while cooking:

The top of the desk has the same granite as the countertops. There is an outlet below and behind the monitor, and another in the upper cabinet. The top left shelf houses the cable TV box; below that are the computer speakers which double as TV speakers.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I have a built in desk with overhead cabinets. I don't need the desk option, so I am turning it into a coffee/tea station.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

Here is a pic of our desk in progress:

The top cabs will have seeded glass and house my grandmother's wedding china and some other treasures.

The center bottom (of the top cabs) will be for a tv, phone, and modem stuff (hopefully most wires, etc hidden behind the tv).

The lower cabs are being replaced by counterheight cabs. That's what we had in the kitchen before, and liked it that way. It was the only thing our cabinet guy and I failed to communicate about -- he saw desk on the plans and ordered desk height. I assumed he'd notice that they were cab height when he measured the old kitchen. Anyway, he was very nice when I called and said I wasn't happy and is replacing them with the counter height at their expense.

I'll keep large hostess stuff in those cabs, and desk stuff in the drawers.

We're using the same countertop on the desk as everywhere else(Cambria Branbury).

I will make a fabric covered corkboard for the backsplash. There will be plugmold under the upper cabs.

We liked having the desk in the kitchen before, so it was not changed much for the new kitchen -- just the glass doors and tv shelf in the uppers. It was home headquarters, and the place we left messages for each other, my purse -- it did collect some clutter, but I cleared it away regularly. It also made a great beverage station when we had parties.

HTH --Amy

• jkasch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Clergychick ~ Would love to see your finished results.

Vate ~ Could you possibly give me some dimensions? I would like to know how big your desk is, i.e., front to back, the size of your bank of drawers and the size of the "working" area.
    Thanks
    Julie

• willis13
    13 years ago

I'm building one. Installation started yesterday, so no photos yet! It's going to be a wood top, stained to match my island and banquette. It's counter height (based on reading on here), will have two banks of drawers, and shelves/pigeon holes above. I really want ONE (as opposed to about four) place to gather clutter, be able to move the homework off the kitchen table onto, etc. And hopefully it can double as a bar area if we're entertaining.

Oh, and it's 5' long.

• vate
    13 years ago

>>>Vate ~ Could you possibly give me some dimensions? I would like to know how big your desk is, i.e., front to back, the size of your bank of drawers and the size of the "working" area.Sure. The granite slab, the top of the desk, is 50" X 25". The desk is desk height, not countertop height - from the floor to the top of the granite is 31". The hutch is 40", from the granite to the ceiling. The two openings in the hutch are 21" across. The drawer section is 22", and the opening for the chair is 23". Finally, the hutch is just under 11" deep.

As you can see from the photos, there is not a ton of "spread out" space, but there is plenty of room to use the computer and have some notes. We opted to store the gelato maker in the left section - it looks great with the kitchen, we needed to store it somewhere, and it covers up the surge protector and some of the other wiring. Clearly we could open up some more space by moving it, but that would also create more "landing room" for the stack 'o mail and other stuff.

I designed it using Visio - I'm glad to share the file if that would be useful.

• clergychick
    13 years ago

I'd love to see my desk finished too! The replacement cabs are supposed to ship next week. I'll try to remember to send you some pics when it's done.