Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laremodel_gw

Anyone use thin porcelain large-format slabs on walls?

LARemodel
9 years ago

I'm considering using a thin porcelain, large-format slab on the shower walls of my master bath. This is a remodel (complete gut). One website shows the thin tiles/slabs covering entire bathroom: walls, floors, and countertops.

Does anyone have experience with this new technology? Any issues with installation? durability? aesthetics? matching to other surface materials? installation cost?

I posted to the Bathroom Forum, but was re-directed to Kitchen forum. I currently have glossy ceramic 2x2" tiles on the shower walls and floor with lots of grout.

I contacted two vendors, hoping they would send samples, but both directed me to local tile distributors. So far I've seen Artistic Tiles Max Fine line. They have three marble-like colors, but offer custom colors as well. Two sizes: 5x10' (slab) and 30x30" (field), 1/4" thick. Field size was quoted at $38 PSF, not counting installation. Weighs 2.76 lbs PSF. They recommend two-person installation, even for the field size.

I tried matching the Max Fine colors to conventional porcelain tiles in the tile store - I found the color in Max Fine to be less creamy than a conventional look-alike calacatta porcelain tile. If I used Max Fine on the walls (but not floors), I would most likely need to look for a contrasting color for the floor.

I contacted Stone Peak regarding their Plane series. I have not visited their distributor yet. They have 15 colors in polished or matte, with largest size 5x10' and several smaller sizes.

Please advise me on the pros and cons if you've looked into this type of product. Also, would be interested in hearing about other vendors.

Initially, I was considering Caesarstone slabs on the walls, but was told that the installation would be very pricey, especially due to the weight and the need to prepare the walls so that they are absolutely flat.

Here's a link that may be useful:
http://www.stonepeakceramics.com/

Comments (153)

• Marcelo Home
    3 years ago

I am sorry, what I was trying to ask was “would quartz be slip safe to use as shower pan?”

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    3 years ago

"would quartz be slip safe to use as shower pan?" Yes. Discuss options for making the shower pan "slip safe" with your fabricator.

• Sherry Mosley
    3 years ago

Any idea where to purchase these slabs or installers near Pensacola, Florida?

• PRO
    Modern Room Remodels
    3 years ago

108 Industrial Blvd, Pensacola, FL 32505

• kpenni
    3 years ago

How about where to purchase in Atlanta?

• User
    3 years ago

Hmmm, any recommendations for experienced porcelain slab fabricators in the Los Angeles area?

• palazar
    3 years ago

I've bought the porcelain slabs for my master bath but need an experienced installer. Any suggestions in Charleston, SC?

• PRO
    Modern Room Remodels
    3 years ago

@palazar what brand & thickness?

• Betsy Nelson
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@LARemodel - we are also in Sarasota - did you do this? did you find someone locally?

• kpenni
    3 years ago

I found a fabricator in the Atlanta area!

https://www.armexstone.com/

• Jessica Milburn
    3 years ago

Recommendation on supplier near Lake Charles, LA?

• palazar
    3 years ago

I bought Level Brand 12mm slabs -found

• PRO
    Porcetalia
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Porcetalia
    3 years ago

If there is anyone in need of not only the porcelain slab products, but qualified fabricators and installers too, our company provides customers with that as well . We are located in the metro Atlanta area. Check out our profile for our work.

• Ariana McGee
    3 years ago

Does anyone know of fabricators and installers in Chicago or Indianapolis?

• PRO
    Galway Marble & Granite
    3 years ago

Hello Ariana, yes Galway Marble & Granite in Broadview, IL.

• cma0486
    3 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations for fabricators and installers in Charleston, SC?

• Jim G
    3 years ago

Can any installers out there tell me how thick the porcelain slab should be for a fireplace to avoid the risk of cracking from the heat? Below is the pic of my basement fireplace awaiting a slab. General contractors tell me to go thicker like 1/2", whereas the stone retailer tells me 1/4" would be fine.

• bookport
    3 years ago

Any showrooms, fabricators and installers in Los Angeles area?

• PRO
    Excellence In Construction LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Jim G. The substrate becomes part of the tile when bonded correctly. We have installed a few fireplaces with the center of the tile cut out with great success in 1/4” slabs. From this picture you posted the substrate is installed incorrectly. You should not have a seam in the corner, sometimes the install manual for the fireplace will show the correct method for the substrate as well. All the strength in the tile comes from what it is set on. Inside cuts simply require an educated installer to get it right without having further issues.

• sunsh1978
    3 years ago

Looking in Delaware. Just south of Philadelphia

• megan_o
    3 years ago

Looking for a fabricator in Boston, MA. Thanks!!

• HU-30098168944
    3 years ago

Are these slabs suitable for a countertop? Thanks

• PRO
    Valeria Design Studio
    3 years ago

Anyone knows of a porcelain slab installer in the DC / VA / MD ? Thank you!

• Lindsay K
    3 years ago

Looking for fabricator and installer in DFW, TX.

• Chris Higdon
    3 years ago

Anyone know of fabricator or installer of porcelain slabs or panels in Louisville KY? Thank you.

• PRO
    Delray Beach Vacation Rentals
    2 years ago

Looking for a fabricator and installer of porcelain panels in showers in Delray Beach, FL (Palm Beach County or Broward County)?

• ghgardz28
    2 years ago

Does anyone have any recommendations for fabricators and installers in Columbus, OH?

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    2 years ago

use hashtags on instagram to source tilers

• Stephanie Le
    2 years ago

Looking for someone to buy and install in the Detroit suburban area (Oakland County). Please let me know. Thank you!

• Guy Crossley
    2 years ago

any manufactures or installers in the Salt Lake City area?

• C. Y.
    2 years ago

We are looking for a fabricator and installer in the New Town/Richboro PA area (suburbs outside Philadelphia) for both bathroom walls and floor. Any pointers?

• C. Y.
    2 years ago

It seems that a lot of the porcelain slabs come in two sizes: 6mm and 12mm. Which is better for wall application?

• Orange Tarheel
    2 years ago

Looking for a fabricator and installer in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

• Lynn Adams
    2 years ago

Any fabricators and installers in Northern New Jersey or North East Pennsylvania?

• PRO
    Modern Room Remodels
    2 years ago

We're Northern NJ. Certified & qualified. Feel free to contact us

• PRO
    Modern Room Remodels
    2 years ago

We're Northern NJ. Certified & qualified. Feel free to contact us

• astase
    2 years ago

Don’t do it. Or be prepared for installation cost greater than materials plus order double (if vein- match kits). They are incredibly hard to fabricate and install. My dreams have literally been broken in this process.

• PRO
    Modern Room Remodels
    2 years ago

@astase sorry to hear about your experience. It's extremely unfortunate you had an inexperienced Installer to execute professionally. I can assure you a talented & most qualified outfit. To generalize an open statement to the masses is unfair to those who can execute successfully. If you'd like, I can help direct you to the most qualified installers. We can help you link up with with manufacturer

• astase
    2 years ago

I’d love to hear more from you, because I truly had a dream that is now a nightmare. I ordered from Mirage Italy through a local high-end tile company. It took forever to get them, and I had to pay extra for delivery. They never told me the install cost more than double the materials, or that only TWO installers in New Orleans do these. And then they break during fabrication.

• J W
    2 years ago

Any recommended fabricators in Portland, OR?

• j k
    2 years ago

How about in long island ny

• dolledptati
    last year

Anyone know any experienced fabricators in Suffolk county Long island NY?

• Mia Benoit
    last year

I’m looking for an installer in the Beaumont Texas area please

• Hscor Inc
    last year

@j k @dolledptati Try HSCOR 40years experience from Manhattan to the Hamptons. Hscorinc(AT)gmail.com

• needtoimprove
    9 months ago

Looking for an excellent installer in the Seattle area. Thoughts?

• Barrett Golden
    9 months ago

Hi. We are considering porcelain with edges that are mitered and sanded to dull the edges. Does anyone have experience doing this in their bathroom with thin slabs? Does anyone have a recommendation for an experienced installer in NY Metro/Westchester/Connecticut area?

• PRO
    Excellence In Construction LLC
    9 months ago

The panels are mitered and filled with epoxy to create a smooth not sharp transition. The porcelain panel image is printed on the surface, if you sand the edges excessively you will see the color body of the tile depending on the tile this could produce undesirable results.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

Corian and other solid surfaces are superior to tile of any size in a shower. No grout, easier installation, repairable, maintainence free, more sanitary.

• Nan Kni
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Everyone is asking for a porcelain slab fabricator close to where they live. What I did was search on Houzz to find local contractors with porcelain slab installations. Then viewing work that they did a few years ago for any cracking particularly around the sink faucets. I did not have good experiences asking the material vendor for contractors for other projects I have done.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner