Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

My TP cabinet project w/photos

chiefneil
12 years ago

Off-topic for the kitchen forum, but I know you guys appreciate nice cabinetry and the intricacies of wood staining/finishing, so I thought I'd share my latest project here.

So for some reason I decided I need a cabinet for TP over my toilet. I looked around but couldn't find anything that looked decent so I decided to make my own. I asked DW if she wanted one for her side (our master bath has his/her toilets) and she said no. Wise to her ways, I decided to make two anyway.

My house is generally contemporary/traditional, but I decided to go a little unique and modern for this project that nobody else will ever see. I've had some beautiful figured maple and cherry sitting around in the garage for the last 10 years, so I decided to combine them for the project.

First the stain options. These are three different aniline dyes. The sample boards are cherry on the left and the other two are maple. I decided to use the two dyes on the left.

Here's the completed doors, bare wood ready for the dye. You can see the box in the back - I used 3/4 maple veneer-core plywood (aka "maple plywood").

Two coats of dye later, and I'm thinking OMG why does my cherry look purple!?! You can see the his/hers cabinets are mirror images.

All's well that ends well. I hand-rubbed 5 coats of glossy oil-based polyurethane, which turned the purple to a nice rich burgundy. Interestingly, the stain turned the maple plywood into an exact match for the cherry. I really wasn't expecting that at all. Here's the final product hanging in its grand new home, ready for its somewhat declasse function. You can see how the combination of aniline dye and an oil-based building finish (i.e. a finish that builds up, as opposed to something like tung oil) really brings out the figure in the wood.

Only thing left to do now is find some knobs, although I do like the way it looks without them.

Comments (13)

• plllog
    12 years ago

Chefneil, that is so cool! Thanks for sharing. And, as a woman, I thank you for the consideration you've shown in making one for your dear wife anyway. :)

Gorgeous.

• wwwonderwhiskers
    12 years ago

Wow! Pretty fabulous!

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

The wood grain is beautiful, and I love the design of the cabinet! Your TP has a very classy cabinet!

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you folks! I have to admit that I'm very happy with the way it turned out - it's one thing to envision it, but there's always so many variables and things to go wrong that I never know if I can actually make my vision come true.

Pllog - it's funny but I think even after many years of marriage DW always expects my projects to look like something from Walmart, thus the automatic "no thanks". She's pretty impressed with this one and I'm having fun giving her a hard time about not wanting one. I still have to install hers - I'll post a pic once I get it up.

• chicagoans
    12 years ago

Those are SO COOL! Beautiful work. I'm interested to see what kind of hardware you get. It will be a challenge to find hardware as cool as those great cabs! (I like w/out any knobs, too.)

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks chicagoans! Here's the pulls I'm considering (the satin nickel ones). I would actually use two different sizes - the small pull on the maple towards the pointed part of the door and mounted diagonally. The longer pull I would mount slightly below and slanted on the cherry door, following the lower angle of the opening.

Pull option 1

Pull option 2

• dianalo
    12 years ago

That came out awesome. If you were my dh, I'd say yes if this is the kind of stuff you can do!
    I vote for pull#2

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

That wood is gorgeous. The modern look is not my thing, but it's so dang cool that even I like it. Nice job!

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks dianalo and Adrienne2011. FYI the wood is called curly or tiger maple and curly cherry. You can see the "tiger stripes" in the maple. About 5% of maple has figure like this, so it's somewhat rare. Most figured wood gets turned into veneer, actually. Cherry doesn't get as pronounced a stripe as maple, it's more of a loose wavy look.

I believe the figure is caused by the weight of the branches compressing the fibers of the trunk. This causes the grain to undulate rather than being straight. Viewed in bright light and finished the way I did, it has an iridescent and holographic effect, with the grain and colors changing dramatically depending on the angle you view it at.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I also like the ovals with the angularity of the cabinets. :) But that might be a woman thing. Maybe the rectangles on the man's side and the rounds on the lady's?

Chiefneil, I have to laugh. When you said you were making one for your wife anyway, I was thinking of a woman I know who will often say "no thank-you" when offered something, then, when she sees it, ask if she can have one/some. Whatever the story, it's nice to know that you know your wife well enough to know what she'll like and want. :)

• johnorange
    12 years ago

chiefneil, I agree that looks great! I am making cabinets from scratch and am most interested in how you cut the inside corner. Did you make the cut before laminating the pieces or did you just use a table saw and finish the cut with a hand saw? I'm using cumaru and boy is it hard! Regardless, good job breaking paradigms!

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pllog - there was a hilarious "incident" when I started building the cabs. DW was getting into her car and noticed me in the workshop. She asked what I was up to, and when I replied that I was building the TP cabinet.... Her eyes narrowed, laser beams started warming up, steam pressure started building. She said, "You're building one just for yourself?"

When I replied that I was building one for her too, she relaxed and said, "Oh, ok then." And went on her way while I was sitting there feeling smug. LOL. I've been teasing her about that for the last few weeks.

Johnorange - I spent a lot of time thinking about that cut. I ended up just using a jigsaw with a straightedge to guide it. I stacked up the maple and cherry so both sets of doors were cut in one shot, hence the reverse mirror image look. The inside corner on the lower piece came out a bit rough due to the orbital action of the jigsaw. I really needed a chisel plane to clean it up properly, but lacking one of those I just used some sandpaper and wood filler.

A handsaw probably would be better for a more skilled person than myself. I am completely unable to cut a straight line with a handsaw, so I had to use power tools. For a production run, I think I'd rough cut with a jigsaw then use a router + guide for the final cut. Or maybe just a more precise guide jig for the jigsaw so the boards could be cut individually rather than stacked.

• chiefneil
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh I see what you meant about making the cut before laminating the pieces. That's a great idea, I don't know why I never thought of it!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor