Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happy2learn

I just discovered Fireclay Tile (gorgeous!) Has anyone used them?

happy2learn
11 years ago

I was just browsing in a kitchen magazine and saw some unique subway tiles that had a subtle variation in color--the article said they were from a company called Fireclay Tiles. I just went to their website ( www.fireclaytile.com ) and loved what I saw there. One plus is that a few of their lines are made from recycled tiles. The have quite a unique selection--crackle, gloss, matt, glass--even glazed brick!

Has anyone ever used their tiles? Can you show us some pics and let us know how you liked them? Thanks.

Comments (37)

• slonewby
    11 years ago

In my never ending quest for a backsplash, I came across Fireclay as well. I am going with another tile but just wanted to mention how great the fireclay company was. Our showroom only had a 2" square sample of the tile I was interested in and, with a color variance of "4" out of 5, I wanted to see more than a 2" square. I called them and in three days I had three 4x4 samples in the full spectrum of variance to play with!

My samples were from the "Debris" collection....color was "malt"..it was a lovely brown/grey crackle made from recycled products. The tile is pricey but very lovely.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I want to use the sky blue somewhere in my remodel! :)
    {{!gwi}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Ayerg73
    Beautiful job on the kitchen. That tile is perfect love the color.
    Please share how you like the soapstone so far. What type is it-do you oil? Sorry for the drift here

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Yes, it is so seductive!
    I've never used it, but have long lusted after it.
    Be sure to check out gregincal's beautiful plans for Fireclay tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gregincal's kitchen

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

ppbenn - Thank you. The soapstone is called anasazi. It is oiled in the photo. It's hard and dries out quickly so I switched to waxing and don't really keep it waxed unless we're having company. Like it both ways.

Feel free to email me if you have any other questions. :)

• marcolo
    11 years ago

ayerg, that looks terrific. Do you have any close-up pictures of your tile? Angie DIY and I are both stuck--we're looking for tiles with glaze variation like Fireclay's but with tighter edges that allow for thinner grout lines. Not easy.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Marcolo - are you looking for gloss or matte, in what size & color?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Gloss tiles, color: Not sure yet. Angie's other post discusses the problem--most tiles with variation in glaze color (both within and between tiles) have wavy edges, requiring thick grout lines.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

These tiles are gorgeous in person and have so many colors from which to choose. They were a little more than I wanted to spend, so I settled for something else (not seriously unhappy, but would redo if I could).

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

They are gorgeous, indeed.

Circus, here is the other thread Marcolo referred to: (Towards a unified theory of tile). I think you were MIA when this was circulating. I even used a picture of yours as an example of the look we are after.

Not to threadjack too badly, but I think this is relevant. We are seriously considering Sonoma Tile. They have a cheaper line ("Star") that has a limited number of colors. They also have a more expensive line ("Stellar") that has many more colors available. The former is under $15/sq ft, the latter is upwards of high $20s, which is where (I believe) Fireclay falls. Not sure if this (Sonoma) is the answer yet, as it seems like (based on the three I have as samples) the minimum grout line they could support is 3/32", and 1/8" would probably be safer.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Angie, I have Sonoma Star, which was $12-something/sq.ft. The installers tried for 1/16" grout lines, but couldn't avoid 1/8" in places. Overall, the mix is okay. The one problem with the Sonoma Star isn't so much the slight lateral variations, but the variations in thickness, esp. at the corners. IOW, they aren't perfectly flat and the corners appear to have a slight upward curve. With my backsplash it is totally unnoticeable UNTIL I turn on my under-cabinet lights, which then reveal each and every imperfection that I liken to a snaggle-tooth. I had the tiler boss back out and he, very gently, pointed out to me that it was a characteristic of the tile. I agree and, again, without UC lights, I'd have never noticed. I suppose real tile-setting artisans can set each tile just so to eliminate the rising corners, but that's just about every tile.

Otherwise my backsplash looks dandy and I'm nowhere close to wanting to tear it out. But I admit that I use my UC lights less because of it.

• gregincal
    11 years ago

It just so happens our tile is being installed as we speak:

We're doing a fairly tight ("fat" 1/8 inch), but the unevenness certainly shows (although it won't be nearly as apparent once grouted). However, the more handmade look is what I wanted. I'm not totally sure, but I was under the impression that the vitrial tiles had a cleaner edge than the debris series.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Oh, Linelle! Thank you so much for that info. I just went and looked at the samples, and you are indeed correct -- they are slightly bowed. I wouldn't have noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out. I may still wind up with them, but I appreciate being fully informed. Gracias, amigo.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

Here's a closeup, marcolo.

They are handmade and have some variation on the edges, so I hope that doesn't mean you can't consider them.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Angie, you're welcome. :) It's a popular tile (made just a few miles from where I live) and a good price, too. Maybe the narrow grout lines made the bowing more noticeable? Maybe they could have set them differently to minimize it? It was the last thing on my mind, having just had them take out the still wet first grout because the color was all wrong. My solution is to use the UCL less, which kinda defeats their purpose.

It's funny how emotional and worked up one can get when something goes wrong right in the middle of the job, with all the money and stress working a number on you. I went a little in denial over the tile, thinking it really wasn't noticeable. Well, it is, but I've become more philosophical about it. One day maybe I'll replace it, but it doesn't kill me to live with it for now.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

The Vitrail and Claymonde tiles are all straight edge and can be installed with thinner grout lines.

• ayerg73
    11 years ago

Good point, remodelfla.

The body of the other tiles is lighter than the Debris, so make sure you get samples specifically of the type you want because the same glaze color will look a lot different on the lighter tiles.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Marcolo and Angie_DIY have you looked at the Grazia line? I know you probably have since they are talked about so much on here. We set our tile with 1/16 unsanded grout lines and it was fine(except for the crazy discoloration in the grout that is:( They are hand glazed I believe and have some tiles with edge variations but mostly you could pull those. They also run around 16.50 a sq ft although the trim pieces are really expensive since they don't make a bullnose edge tile.

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

I absolutely love the variation of the edges of the Grazia we put in. Everything else is so new and the softer edges add to that authentic look. You wouldn't want it with sleek glass or a beveled tile, but with the variation in the glaze of the Fireclay, it really works. Enjoy!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

CKGM and DJH: which Grazia line do you have? I was put off the Essenze line by the statement by Grazia that they have a deliberately wavy edge to make them look handmade. Are they not that bad, or is another line preferable?

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I have the Grazia Melange butter blend- I will be posting it next week when they FINALLY fix our grout next week. But the grout lines are pretty tight- 1/16 overall mostly.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Thank you for pointing out the Melange line. I had not see them before. I am intrigued -- but confused. I am intrigued because the color variation is lovely, at least in the 2.5"x5" size. (Sadly, the 5x5 size is not variegated.)

I am confused about the edges, though. You mention that they have a tight grout, and the catalog and other info from Grazia also mentions a tight grout line. But here are some pictures:

It looks to me like the edges are intentionally wavy. Do they look so in reality?

• PRO
    Heritage Chrome
    11 years ago

My Grazia tiles are definitely wavy. I did not even question it at first, since I found the green tiles at a Habitat for Humanity ReStore and jumped on them before I knew what I was getting into. Best Tile sells the other Grazia lines, so if you have a shop nearby, you should see their displays in person.

My CG did his level (pun intended) best with these tiles. Tiling was not his expertise, but he knew what to do.
    I LOVE the organic quality of the Grazia because it goes so well with the rest of the kitchen style (arts & crafts wannabe?). If you want a sleek look, don't bother. But if you like the uneven quality of the edges, then these are for you.

From Kitchen Renovation Before During After

Deborah

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Back on topic with Fireclay: Thanks for the tip, remodelFla. Unfortunately, it does not appear either of those lines will work for other reasons (sigh). Claymonde perfect except it only comes in large formats. And the glazes of the Vitrail line are (mostly) crazed/crackled, which I happen not to want. I feel like I am being too picky, but the search goes on!

• olivertwistkitchen
    11 years ago

Ayerg, your Fireclay in kelp is my inspiration photo. We are tring to do our kitchen as green as possible ( green in both meanings of the word!) I see a lot of pretty backsplashes that I like but I keep going back to the green subway tiles, and am hoping it will go well with terrazzo recycled glass counters. I really want a backsplash made from recycled materials. Although I adore your kelp I am wondering if there other similar brands that use recycled materials that I should look at?

• senator13
    11 years ago

Fireclay is one of my top contenders. Along with North Prarie Tileworks and Complete Tile Collection

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete Tole Collection

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Most of my edges are pretty straight but I pulled some of the tiles that were very uneven. I only have one spot where it's really offline, the rest are pretty even i think. I promise to post pics this week. Right now the grout is so bad you couldn't see the lines well.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Holy @$@$#!, senator13! I have never, ever seen such a broad selection of glaze colors! It's like the paint chip wall in a hardware store. I'll have to look into that.

• solferino
    11 years ago

Fireclay Tile is great -- I just moved from downtown San Jose (where their hq is located) and not only is the tile beautiful but the people in the showroom are so friendly. I'll have to look for photos to see if I have anything good --we used their tile on walls, floors, kitchen, bathrooms, laundry-- but we just sold that house so I might be out of luck.

This was five years ago and their styles might have changed, but I'd say that if you like a very streamlined or modern look, e.g. rectified porcelain with tiny grout joints, it might not be your thing. Our old house was a 1919 Craftsman so it was a good fit. Glazes are beautiful and they have every color/finish under the sun. A lot of crazing which I love but I know others hate...

If anyone's in the SF Bay Area and on a budget, I'd recommend stopping by because they also have a boneyard -- where you can get seconds and overruns for less than retail. Not as good a deal as it was 5 years ago but if you are open as to color and don't need all the trim pieces to match, you can score a deal -- I think they're selling first-quality overruns for something like $10/sq ft now. I had to forcibly stop myself from driving to the boneyard "just to look" when we finally finished our renovation.

I'm so bummed I moved 45 minutes away. I got so many ideas just digging through the boneyard and browsing the showroom.

• BalTra
    11 years ago

Uh oh.

I am headed to California Bay Area in a month, and a visit to Heath Ceramics is on the (vacation) agenda to see their seconds in person.

Now I may need to fit in a visit to San Jose!

Just started looking at the Fireclay website. Anyone else think those glazed thin bricks are stunning? !! Surely not right for my space, but oh wow!

• happy2learn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the GREAT feedback, everyone!! Senator 13--do you know if other distributors carry those Vermeere tiles you posted a link to? All I can find is the address in NYC. And from what I hear of NYC, everything there is $$$$- even a cup of coffee.
    I am running up to a tile shop (an hour away) that carries the fireclay line supposedly. I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Marcolo: Gotta bust your chops here. ;-) Evidently, "when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

Here is what you said about Vermeere tiles in my "Unified Theory of Tile" thread .

Marcolo sniffs: A possibility, but to me the color variation isn't that wide. Worth a few samples, perhaps.

Now that you are on a sample-getting mission, they seem a bit more attractive:

Marcolo gushes: Holy @$@$#!, senator13! I have never, ever seen such a broad selection of glaze colors! It's like the paint chip wall in a hardware store. I'll have to look into that.

Ahhh, nothing like a deadline, eh? :-)

Fun2Learn: As far as I know, Complete Tile doesn't have other distributors. However, they will send you samples post haste. I have a set of 5 of them coming today! I still worry about Marcolo's first point, namely, that the color variegation may not be as much as I want.

Also, they are not $$$$. They are not cheap, but they are about $13 sq. ft., which is about half what I was getting quoted for Heath, Fireclay, Pratt and Larson, Walker Zanger, Sonoma Stellar, etc.

• senator13
    11 years ago

Angie is correct. NYC is their only site, but they send samples quickly. I think they run about $5 per sample. Not cheap, but they are great to work with! I was quoted $12 per square last fall for the Vermeere. I am actually now looking at the Hemp color in the Modulatti. I think that line is a little cheaper, but I am not positive. I have samples of the Pebble Green, Botanical and Dk. Ocean Breeze in Vermeere for our bathroom. They are all beautiful. I also swoon over the crest field tile in the TIEPOLO collection and the Tundra color in the Prodigy. Too many choices, too few kitchens...

• John Shum
    7 years ago

We love Fireclay! Here are a couple ideas from our kitchen project - Kitchen Backsplash using Fireclay

• rockybird
    7 years ago

@John Shum Your kitchen and Eichler is beautiful!

I haven't used fireclay, but I did look into them. Their customer service was very friendly and helpful! I will be using heath tiles in my midcentury modern master bath remodel, but I might use fireclay tiles in one of the guest baths or fireplace.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

Yes, love your Eichler! I'm in a Likeler post and beam MCM that I am in the midst of remodeling and your site has been an inspiration. Your backsplash is perfection. Btw, did Fireclay discontinue the cube pattern? I looked for it to use in our laundry room and couldn't find it.