Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Resolution to granite mismatch

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

MY KD stepped up to the plate and is making the granite install right. The salesperson told me they didn't have more slabs but miraculously (sarcasm) after the KD got involved one appeared. They are going to remove the piece from the penninsula and do a better match. So yippee for my KD and happy for me.

In the meantime DH and plumber pulled my new fridge out to hook up the water lines and in doing so put some gouges in my new hardwood floor, put a small dent in the fridge door and put several scratches on the inside of the freezer door. The good thing is the gouges are surface only so they don't look bad. The dent is small and I am probably the only one who will ever notice it, and the scratches are in the inside so not visible at all with the door closed.

All those small incidents are just another day in the life of, so I am a movin on! The really good news is my faucet went in and the dishwasher is hooked up and working. It is so quiet I can't hear it at all. The double oven, and cooktop will be installed tomorrow and hopefully several of my lights will go in. We are finally making progress.

Just wanted to let you all know and show a pic of my sink and faucet. Trim to be finished on the window when the maple comes in.

Comments (26)

• rkb21
    10 years ago

Oh, I'm so thrilled for you that the granite issue will be resolved!

I love your counters and the faucet is beautiful!

Here's to smooth sailing for the rest of the project.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Happy for you that you are getting the granite mismatch taken care of. It would have really bothered me if it was like that in my kitchen.

Sorry about the scratches and dent. Somebody put a very small dent in my fridge when it was only a few months old aand I surprised myself by not getting upset about it. I still notice it but I can honestly tell you noone else has.

Good luck on the fininishing touches for your kitchen. I will be waiting for the reveal.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"The salesperson told me they didn't have more slabs but miraculously (sarcasm) after the KD got involved one appeared. "

What'd I tell ya. They lie through their teeth like we are morons. It's hard to keep the faith.

Your colors are so beautiful. It does look perfect in your kitchen. Hope the match comes out well this time.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Hooray that the granite issue is getting resolved. Sorry to hear that there were other issues that came up today, but at least those sound more manageable to live with than the granite issue. Wishing that all of the rest comes together without a hitch.

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

Yeah! I am delighted for you! So happy that they are making it right!

Your sink is so pretty and looks great with your lovely new faucet and granite!

Sorry to hear of your "scratch and dent" day, but it sounds like it will mostly be covered and just add to the character, can't wait to see it all finished.

Thanks for the peek!

• rosie
    10 years ago

Yippee for your KD for sure. I really, really like your cabinets and counter together; that is a great combination, and your faucet looks wonderful with them.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Hurray! Thanks for sharing the great news and sneak peek. Those first dings in the floor are painful, but it is the price of having wood. Mine are horrible if you look close, but I'd still do it again.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Great news!

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

Congrats! Also want to say that I don't usually go for beaded cabinets but yours are really lovely. With the granite fix and the gorgeous faucet your kitchen is coming together beautifully.

• juleecat
    10 years ago

Hopefully either you or your KD will be present to approve templates prior to cutting! Yay for you! Looks gorgeous!

• justmakeit
    10 years ago

Look at that fantastic faucet! It's great with your countertops and cabinets -- you chose the perfect finish. I'm envious of the view out your windows too. (I've been away for a while, so I missed the problems with your counters. Glad they are being resolved, whatever they were!)

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Hooray for you and for your KD. Mine was like that and really went to bat for me when the GC let me down.

When I got hardwood floors, I was putting my furniture back in place in the living room. Unbeknownst to me, the plastic protector on one of the couch legs had fallen off, leaving only the exposed nail that had held it in. I futzed with the positioning of the couch and then realized I had inscribed the new floor with the nail. I was heartsick. Then I realized it was up against a wall and would be covered by a rug and my couch. I'm the only one who's ever seen it. Time has passed and I realize it's far from the worst thing that will ever happen to me. Such is life.

• Ann Marie Spinner
    10 years ago

So Happy for you! There is justice in the world!

• weissman
    10 years ago

Take the time and be there when they lay the template out on the slab. That way you can see exactly what pieces they're using. You indicated in your other thread that you have a small kitchen. How long are your counters? Are you sure they can't be done without seams? I have two nearly 10 foot runs in my kitchen, both of which end in short ells and I have no seams.

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

Yeah to the good news. Nothing like a rolling stone approach to keep it moving in a kitchen remodel. Kinda surprised at your granite guys for not coughing if up without the KD getting on them. Sigh...

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Holly-Kaye - that is wonderful news - can't wait to hear how the appliance install goes tomorrow.
    And that Waterstone faucet - gorgeous(of course)
    And love your hardware!!!
    Life is looking good!

• Anne Harris
    10 years ago

Hooray!! So glad it got resolved...we are waiting impatiently for more pics!!!

• ali80ca
    10 years ago

That is such good news Holly...so pleased for you. Hoping the rest of the reno goes much smoother!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Congratulations - the best possible solution! Such pretty granite, love the combo of finishes/hardware/faucet. Can't wait to see it all done.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Thank goodness! The magical reappearing slab story. *eyeroll*. That person needs to feel like a big jerky liar. Well, now you have a story to tell anyone looking for a slab....

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am so relieved to have that issue on the way to resolution. They said three to four weeks because their machine is down. I am patient for the most part and three to four weeks will fly by.

The oven install didn't happen today because the cab is a bit of in size. I have no idea how they will resolve that issue! The cook top did get installed though and gourmet cook that I am (not) made grilled cheese sandwiches for DH. The pattern of two steps forward one step back continues!

Weismann, my kitchen is 13.5 x 13.5. The counter that is the biggest is just a tad over 13 feet. The peninsula where the mismatch was done is all that will need replaced. Either D H or I, or both will be there when it is cut

• bookworm4321
    10 years ago

I really like your combinations. What color is your granite? Cabinets? The faucet is so nice.

• camlan
    10 years ago

"Kinda surprised at your granite guys for not coughing if up without the KD getting on them. Sigh..."

Probably a very simple case of Short-Sighted Economics.

Have one disgruntled customer? No problem. Tell them there's nothing you can do and move on to the next customer, so you can make more profit. There's nothing the customer can do to you at this point, and fixing the issue, even if it is the company's fault, will reduce the profit from the job.

Have a disgruntled KD? That's another story. That KD could send you a lot of business, and a lot of business means a lot of profit. So there's a financial incentive to keep the KD happy.

What these companies don't realize is that the disgruntled homeowner is now telling all their friends, in real life and online, just how bad the company is and how awful they are at dealing with their own mistakes. For the next 20 years, every time that customer hears of someone redoing their kitchen, they will tell the happy remodelers to avoid that company at all costs.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bookworm, the granite is Typhoon Bordeaux. My cabinets are wheat stained maple with a chocolate glaze. They are really growing on me. I do love the way the granite compliments the cabinets. I am so glad that I went with the TB but sad that the color match was so off the first time and praying for a better outcome with the new piece.

• Peke
    10 years ago

Ooh the first scratch is hard! My DH sets his coffee cup on the SS part of my Bluestar rangetop. Then he twists it for some reason. This left perfect circular scratches in the SS.

I survived...so did he. I only said huh, look what your cup did. He is a lucky man! peke

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes my DH was looking at a few days in the dog house for that bozo of a move. Geesh you can't live with them and you can't live without them.......on second thought..........