Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clc08_gw

Granite seam in middle of sink?

clc08
15 years ago

Fabricator mentioned yesterday that some people place their seams in the centerline of the sink because that way you end up with 2 small seams instead of a long seam somewhere else.

What do you think about doing it that way?

I see his point, but it would be right under my kitchen window...and I worry that it would break the visual continuity of the sink...also, would it be less structurally sound?

But, I'm not an expert...that's why I'm asking around here!

Our granite is Labrador Antique and fairly consistent...if that makes a difference...

Comments (29)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

That's the way mine was done.

• chrissiemw
    15 years ago

I'm not an expert either but I'll share with you what my fabricator said.

They always try to avoid doing seams at the sink, cooktop and over the dishwasher.

He said that the weight in your sink will vary on either end when it's full of dishes (especially if you have a double basin) and it's too much stress for a seam. Same for the cooktop and the dishwasher doesn't support the granite.

Not sure how much truth there is to that but I had seen their seam work and I was impressed enough to not worry about it being noticeable in a 26" run of counter.

My seam is about 1 1/2 feet to the left of my sink. It's right before my counter turns for the penninsula and I really don't notice it at all.

• deegeegirl
    15 years ago

That's the way ours was done, too. I don't even notice it. A designer that we worked with later (on something else) said it was done very well (and her specialty is kitchens).

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Mine too, basically invisible this way instead of a large long seam somewhere else. Mine is lined up with edge of cabinet doors, so visually is continuous.

Also, my guy reinforced granite/plywood with angle iron they brought in the two pieces with iron sticking out and joined it like a jigsaw puzzle on site- he figures this is the 'strongest' part of my counter! (Guess we'll see what happens when he has to take it apart to replace granite! :>(

• alanandnancy
    15 years ago

We have quartz, not granite, but the seam is in the middle of the sink. Otherwise, with 2 corners, we would have had 2 diagonal seams. We're not done, so I don't know how much it will bother me. Our sink is actually mounted onto the subtop, so it's wood that's holding it up, not clips on the countertop, or whatever the alternative is.

• sunnyd_2008
    15 years ago

The seam is less conspicuous at the sink but may involve more waste, that in turn may cost more money.
    Fabricators usually lay out the material to leave less waste if possible.
    If you can get the seam in the sink and they are not charging you extra go for it.
    Check out their workmanship first if you can.
    I have heard from some fabricators that because the sink area has thin stretches of stone in the back and front it's structurally more sound to put the seam there. The weight on both sides of the opening could possibly crack the stone. That's why you usually see seams at the sink area?
    Is this true? who knows.
    I think your fabricator makes a good point.

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

it can be done either way - the success of it looking good
    will depend on how good your Fabricator is...

the cardianl rule of seams is:
    "Shorter and smaller is always better"

likI said - either way will work

kevin

Kevin M. Padden
    Fabricator Trainer & Consultant to the Natural Stone Industry
    www.azschoolofrock.com

• tkln
    15 years ago

Ours is at the sink as well...I didn't want it there, but our granite has a lot of movement and to the right of the sink is a large peninsula (about 8') and the only way to not have a seam there was to have it at the sink (sink is in the corner). Two and a half years with no problems (knock on wood!).

• old1880home
    15 years ago

Our seam is at the sink and is virtually invisible. Fabricator knew what he was doing.

• susan4664
    15 years ago

I chose not to have it at the sink because I didn't want to see it every time I worked at my sink. It would also make it centrally located in my kitchen and I know my "eagle eye" would be drawn to it every time. I chose to have a longer seam about 15 inches to the right of the sink, which puts it to the back of my kitchen and away from where most people end up standing.

• services_huligar_com
    15 years ago

For all of you that had bad seams (ones that you can see or feel)they all can be fix after the install, no matter where they have been place. Here is just one example of a seam, this is a very up close shot, so you can see the detail of the work.

http://nsraweb.com/components/com_fpslideshow/images/2007_10_02_035_1.jpg

http://nsraweb.com/components/com_fpslideshow/images/2007_10_02_035_edited_w11_1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Stone Restoration Alliance

• scooper25
    9 years ago

Hi IâÂÂm a little confused with following some of the replies were most done on the sink seam or away from the sink? My fabricator also doesnâÂÂt want to do the seam on the sink area because of the weight. I have an L shaped kitchen with the sink in the corner. I have fantasy brown granite which has a lot of movement and was concerned matching the seams straight down the countertop. He suggested a foot away from the sink where the cabinets could support it. After taking another look at the sink he decided he could do it right where the sink cabinet and other cabinet meet. I figured this would be best so the seam match wouldnâÂÂt be as noticeable with the sink in the middle breaking it up? Then the next cut could continue all the way down the longer counter uninterrupted. Going tomorrow to see the template with the slabs and hopefully finding a good match for between the seams. Have my fingers crossed for the final product. So confused never thought about all this when choosing the granite. Has anyone had it done this way or used Fantasy Brown Granite?

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

On my very long run of granite that has a sink that weighs 126 pounds and a cook top the seams are in the cooktop and nearly invisible. The other seam is so nicely matched that you cannot really see or feel it. For reasons I won't get into here all of the granite on that run has to be replaced and the new fabricator and granite people would not do it that way so we canceled. I didn't want a huge seam over my dishwasher because this is where I work all the time and it would be huge. it's interesting that one company will do it and another one won't. I hated to cancel but I don't even think they wanted to do it.

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

Before we refurbed with quartz, our granite was cut in the middle of the sink and it looked amazing. We had a huge double bowl Kohler cast iron sink, about the heaviest thing going. I'd think. We had no issues. The seam was very subtle.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

I am a fabricator,

Fabricators like seams in the sink because it pretty much eliminates the possibility of a cracked sink rail which can occur even if everything is done properly by the fab shop and the installers.

Personally, (and this is an issue where the esthetic valuation is subjective) I think placing a seam in the busiest part of the entire kitchen, usually right under a window, is a mistake - particularly with undermount sinks where the seam is also visible in the sink cutout.

Seaming the sink is not an inherently poor practice.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I have the seam to the right of the sink over the dishwasher. I bought the current kitchen. It's not my design. If I go to slide something over the area, it bumps and skitters because the joint isn't perfect.

Because I am right handed, I wish the seam was on the left of the sink. That area isn't quite as busy. I don't think I would like the seam in the middle of the sink. If I had a countertop with a lot of movement, I would really hate it in front of the sink. I would see it every time.

• fishyy1
    8 years ago

HomeChef59 those are my thoughts exactly. Everyone around me tells me I'm crazy and I won't notice the seam after awhile. I'm a touch (okay, maybe a lot :)) OCD so I know that it'll bug me every time. I also hadn't thought about it in the way of right handedness versus left handed. Yes, a seam to the left would be better since I am right handed as well. You just don't look that way as often.

• skes641
    5 years ago

No fishyy1, you are not crazy! I have the same problem, and the fact that the seam is right in the middle of the sink drives me nuts! Our fabricator told me that this is a standard way, and he didn't even think this was something important to talk about before they installed our countertop. It's mostly white quartz with some grey veins and I always will see that seam no matter what. It just bothers me so much that after paying so much money I ended up with these small but visible and ugly seams in front and behind my sink...

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Pretty sure that’s the norm?
  • Tracy Moffat
    3 years ago

A seam at your sink is the worst possible place. It is subject to uneven weight and too much moisture and higher risk for staining. Any upscale granite installer will recommend against it

• Tracy Moffat
    3 years ago

Your sink is the most used place in your kitchen and a seam is weaker

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Tracy:

Please read and comprehend the posts in front of your own. Denying fabricators and homeowners the design flexibility and cost savings a sink seam can provide is foolish. Any upscale granite fabricator will recommend it. Well-made sink seams are inconspicuous and not subject to contamination. When strapped in place, a sink becomes a truss, making the sink area the strongest, not the weakest, part of the countertop.

If you want to reduce your sink seam length and conspicuousness, use an apron front style sink.

• Sarah Abram
    3 years ago

When searching for accurate information regarding natural stone countertops the ONLY reliable source is https://www.naturalstoneinstitute.org/ 

The WORST place to place a seam is directly over a dishwasher.

Late to the party, but I hope this help future googlers!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"When searching for accurate information regarding natural stone countertops the ONLY reliable source is https://www.naturalstoneinstitute.org/ 

The WORST place to place a seam is directly over a dishwasher."

Sarah:

Let me direct your attention to the Natural Stone Institute's Detail of Spline Joint Reinforcement drawing 17-D-4 please. Page 14.

This is a terrible detail. The last thing you want in a sink seam is a joint that is NOT designed to fail. If the house settles or a top gets out of plane, you want a joint that fails and can be easily remade, not a joint that's going to blow the top of the rail off. Not to mention when Bubba runs out of stainless steel washers and installs one that rusts and blows the countertop apart.

As a countertop repairperson with 30 years experience, I have brought this poor detail to their attention to no avail.

If you can avoid a seam over a dishwasher, fine, but there is no reason to not make a seam over a modern well-insulated dishwasher. Epoxy a stainless steel cleat under the seam and forget it if it makes you feel better, but I wouldn't bother.

The Natural Stone Institute is a fine organization, but they're not Gods. Just men who make mistakes like the rest of us.

This sink seam has failed properly. It may have not had the NSI's detail been followed.

Would you rather look at this nice do-over or a repaired jagged crack at the end of the cutout or a blowout repair?

• Sarah Abram
    3 years ago

Joseph Corlett, LLC thank you for this wonderful education!!! You really put in some effort here!!

I myself have been in the stone industry for going on 20 years.

My goal is to point out that anyone can GOOGLE info and get lots of OPINIONS. Its best to direct people to sources such as NSI (feel free to add to this list, as I am sure you will! : ) Never said NSI was perfect, but far better option than randomness you find on the internet.

I would imagine that is why you like to chime in on posts such as this one, no? You are attempting to correct people who may be misinformed...admirable and much needed.

Keep up the good work!!

• Kay Alexa
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

My granite countertop is already cut, and will be installed in one week. I have an undermount stainless sink, with the granite seam going thru the middle of my sink. I cook a lot and my sink will be wet frequently. They are doing a flush fit undermount. I am using an experienced professional fabricator. I hope that my sink area will not get mildew, mold or smelly from the seams there. Time will tell. I keep a clean kitchen. Yes they reviewed the layout with me, but we didn't discuss anything about seams. This is my first granite kitchen.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 months ago

Have them cut the cutout just a poo large so you have a slight positive reveal instead of flush please. Sinks flush with the cutout edge get an elongated silicone joint that frays, becomes contaminated, and is ugly. Can't happen with a slight positive reveal.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 months ago

And have them strap, not clip or block, your sink in place please. Much stronger and the sink supports the seams.