Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donaleen

Backsplash tile design, one or two?

Donaleen Kohn
10 years ago

I want a simple backsplash tile with a pencil line, and maybe a second line.

Anybody done something like this? I am thinking that maybe I could do it with liner tiles, wider ones for the white section and narrower liner tile for the black part.

Comments (19)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I love your kitchen Donaleen. It is so warm and cheery. I would do no pencil line at all as I think a simple bs would look fabulous in your kitchen. With that being said I don't care for that type of detailing so I may be the wrong person to chime in. I also don't care for pinstripe detailing on cars.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I kinda like pencil line done the right way. It would depend on the colors. I'm sure you would do a sample board to show us. :)

I'm not crazy about the second line. The beautiful and unique detail on the doors under the sink makes enough of a statement. The second line is like pointing out the obvious. I love your kitchen!

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

If you do the pencil line, I would only do one.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

One line.

• Kristen Hallock
    10 years ago

Not a fan of pencil lines.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To all of you, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment. Don't hesitate to tell me what you think. You never know, I may let a new idea into my head.

I am pretty sure there will be a pencil line and the tile will not go to the cabinets. One of the few things I liked in our old kitchen was the proportions of the backsplash and its pencil line. For the most part I don't like tile that goes all the way to the cabinet bottoms..somehow it looks industrial to me. No one but me likes the second pencil line.

I think my tile preferences are pretty different from most of the kitchens I see on this forum. I would never make the back splash as much of a focal point as many do these days. I want something more subtle, more background.

I like the horizontal lines in my cabinets formed by the pullout cutting boards, the countertop and the pencil line. The only thing I am considering is whether there are two lines or one.

I did consider no back splash but I don't like how the wall color has all these shadows under the window and they make the color look dirty. The color is BM Barley and it changes a lot with the light.

I am borrowing some tile of the kind I am considering from a friend and I am going to mock it up and see how it looks.

I expected I would have to mess with the color and the light after the countertop went in. My kitchen doesn't get as much light as I might like so I have to work with that.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like pencil lines, and would only do one. You are showing it in a high contrast black though. It sounds as if that might not be your plan. A monochromatic or more subtle double liner might be a completely different story.

But you are not taking the subway up to the cabinets? Not sure about that.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

While I personally like one pencil line or none, after seeing your sink base, I think the double line would be very appropriate with the vibe from your cabinets.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

What if one of the pencil lines were at the very top of the splash and the other two or three rows down? Sometimes details close to the counter top get lost behind kitchen equipment on counters. BTW, what will your counters be?

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At this point: tile background white (antique white they call it)... and a black liner. I want a strong line.

The counter top is in. It is Zodiaq Wintergreen Quartz. It is really beautiful, though it is hard to photograph accurately, at least by me and with my camera. I can't get the camera to deal with the light changes from the window. The link shows more of the cabinets and kitchen but the color isn't right. In real life, the counter reminds me of water or sandy beaches. It is very nice. It also reminds me a little of 1950s formica.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen photos

This post was edited by donaleen on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 15:31

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

I've been searching the net for kitchens with a double pencil line, and couldn't find any, except one that I'd posted on this older thread, which includes some vintage kitchen eye-candy :). That doesn't mean there aren't any more--maybe I'm not using the correct key words.

I remembered hmdennis' kitchen ('cause I loooove it), newly uploaded to the FKB when I first found Gardenweb. It has one pencil line.

Here is a link that might be useful: hmdennis' kitchen

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

And I forgot that the in-text links on older threads don't always show, even when they are there in the preview!!! I'll try again ...

Here is a link that might be useful: pencil line tile ...

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, thank you Mama Goose. I never saw this thread. Some great photos to mull over.

I think I want the tiled space to be the bottom of the window, which is about 10 inches. That is where it ended before and it worked. However, the space is not quite the same because of the ledgers John used beneath the uppers and because the cabinets are shaped quite differently. And the countertop material has changed.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is my tile mockup... I used actual tile and scotch tape to hold it up with black masking tape for the pencil line. I had to fold over the tape so it isn't perfectly even. I think it is amazing how the white tile changes the light and the color.

I am recovering the lamp shade today... never did that before.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile mockup photos

This post was edited by donaleen on Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 16:06

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Well, I did like the 2nd line in the drawings, it seemed to focus the eye to the window area; but now, having seen the actual room with the faucet in place, I don't think it would work so well. The faucet would interfere with the effect and the space will be to busy. So now I vote for one line.
    Having the tile only to the bottom of the windows gives it an old-fashioned look, but I like it.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen and I really like your short backsplash! The one line looks like a good balance to me. I can't picture two.

• Donaleen Kohn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for weighing in and for the compliments on the kitchen. I am doing one pencil line.

I do like an old fashioned look.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I know you have already decided, but another vote FOR the pencil line. : )