Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecf1216_gw

Please post pics of your frameless cabinets

ecf1216
12 years ago

One of the cabinet makers we've spoken with is really pushing us to go with frameless cabinets. I associate the frameless type with a contemporary, modern look, but he assures us it can also be more traditional. We are going for a classic/timeless feel.

I have googled "frameless cabinets," but the images don't really show a nice bank of cabinets... they tend to be more individual cabinet shots.

So, if you have frameless cabinets, I'd love to see your photos! Any input on frameless vs framed is also welcome. He did tell us the price will be the same either way.

Thanks!

Comments (35)

• kitchendreaming
    12 years ago

hi
    I have the Ikea Lidingo and as all Ikea cabinets they are frameless. I believe each drawer is much more roomier than if it were framed. My style is traditional as oppose to contemporary. I think frameless can be any style depending on the style of the door. But I am not expert.

I was just trying handles:

and from the Ikea display:

• cooksnsews
    12 years ago

I wouldn't call my frameless kitchen contemporary, although I have a problem believing anything can be "timeless". You'll really notice the more efficient use of space (compared to face-framed) in the drawers.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Uppers framed, lowers frameless (mostly). Too many drawers, too little space to have frames down there. Frameless look pretty much like full overlay.

• ZacsDaddy
    12 years ago

Frameless is great as there are no center pillers and less edge -- meaning easier access into the space. We love ours. Ours is also a custom shaker style with a small 1/4 round trim added to the centers.

• ashleymking
    12 years ago

I was worried about the same thing, because our house was built in 1930...my biggest fear was designing a kitchen that didn't fit with the house. However, we went for it based on our cabinet maker's recommendation, and I absolutely love the frameless cabinets. Our kitchen is still mid-reno, so you'll have to imagine all of the period appropriate stylings. ;)

• davidro1
    12 years ago

You cannot tell the difference until they are opened, as fori said. Frameless look like full overlay.

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Not to hijack this thread, but is there such a thing as frameless inset/beaded inset, still with a traditional feel? Frameless is so much more functional, but I can't give up my love for beaded inset doors!

• Fori
    12 years ago

(off topic apology. Ashley--those cabs are awesomely 30s!!! The crown is perfect. So nice to see appropriately petite crown and crystal knobs!)

Really, old houses with their runty kitchens benefit more from frameless cabinets than any other. The space advantage is huge.

• Fori
    12 years ago

Natalie, a few years ago (yeegads!) someone did inset frameless. If I recall correctly, they looked okay but didn't quite have the feel. And you still don't get ll the space savings between drawers that you would with frameless. More successful are the kitchens with frameless lowers and inset uppers, or that just do standard inset in a complementary island.

• ashleymking
    12 years ago

Please forgive me for responding on your post as well.

Thank you so much, Fori! You made my night!! :) As much as I've tried to made appropriate kitchen decisions along the way, I've second guessed myself so many times. Your affirmation makes me feel like I'm on the right track. Thanks--it's just what I needed to keep moving forward with fervor!

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Thanks fori! I guess it's best to choose one or the other, or mix them upper/ lower as you said.

Love your kitchen BTW!

• sas95
    12 years ago

Here are our frameless cabinets. While I wouldn't call our kitchen traditional, it's not modern/contemporary either.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

This a stock cabinetry line so not very fancy but it doesn't read contemporary (unlike other elements in the space). You can create an inset look by panelling in frameless cabinetry. Often when you see this in a design they use a contrasting panel (though not always). Could waste a lot of space.

• pudgybaby
    12 years ago

Not great pics, but I consider my kitchen traditional. It's all about which door you pic, and then other finish choices (countertops, pulls, etc).

{{!gwi}}

[IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz296/pudgybaby_bucket/2010-08-31-Kitchen/P1020100.jpg[/IMG]

{{!gwi}}

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

My kitchen was definitely designed in the traditional style, with frameless cabinets. In fact that is the name of the door style-Traditional! Here are some pictures:

• lowspark
    12 years ago

You can key on frameless in the fkb and see a slew of kitchens with frameless cabs. Here's a direct link.

Also, here is a link to my description of the difference between Framed vs Frameless.

Here are a couple of views of my kitchen (also listed in fkb). Brookhaven frameless, done in 2004.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Not mine (I wish it were), but brickmanhouse's gorgeous kitchen is one of the ultimate examples of frameless (Ikea) in a traditional space (1840's farmhouse kitchen):

Here is a link that might be useful: brickmanhouse kitchen

• ecf1216
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all so much for the pictures, links and input. I can't tell you how much it helps to see "real" kitchen examples!

You've all got such beautiful kitchens; it makes me even more anxious to get started. :)

• marcolo
    12 years ago

There is absolutely a style of cabinetry called frameless inset. The cabinet box acts as the frame. This is a Crown Point version, although it has swoopy extraneous details you may not like but are not part of a "frameless inset" style.

I imagine these could be made to look much more traditional.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Fori
    12 years ago

Eh, that Crown Point cabinet looks kinda cheap. Note the lack of "frame" between door and drawer face--that bit of frame in there is what's needed for the classic inset look.

It looks like inexpensive self-assembled furniture with the sides holding it together. Probably would look more upscale if it didn't look like melamine...

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Mine are brookhaven, frameless. I don't think anything about shaker style cabinets are comtemporary, but I agree that the slab drawers on frameless do look more contemporary. I think the drawer/door style indicates the overall style of the cabinets.
    Countertops went in this morning, but I haven't uploaded yet so hopefully these pics still help you.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• Tim
    12 years ago

In Canada, frameless are the norm. Ours were just installed in the last few weeks. Counters coming this week.

Also quite common in Canada are MDF doors, which are cut by computer on giant CNC machines. Our full-custom cabinets are plywood boxes with MDF doors, finished in BM Cloud White.

Solid Maple doors would have been the same price, but we'd have hairline and larger cracks everywhere whenever the humidity changed, which in a 90+ year old house in Toronto is often.

As you can see there is a little detail around the recessed panels, but the outer edge of the doors are squared off. We wanted a 'transitional' look, like so many others these days do. Our house is 90+years old with some original character, so we didn't want anything too contemporary, and my wife likes classic looks (counters are marble).

Added the 'furniture' style baseboard on the pantry wall along with the separated crown molding to accentuate them looking like furniture.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

TorontoTim, wow, that's a beautiful example of inset frameless. There was an old thread where somebody pointed to a particular cab manufacturer that can put a bead around a frameless door for an even more vintage look, but I can't find it at the moment.

• Tim
    12 years ago

Last pic - forgot the sink ;)

BTW - while certainly WAY more costly than IKEA cabinets, we priced our kitchen out with Lowes, Home Depot, Rona etc. with the major lines of 'semi-custom' cabinets. Our full-custom cabinet job ended up costing the same or less than what we would have paid at any of the big-box stores.

• Tim
    12 years ago

We were lucky to find good cabinet makers to work with, and we're also fortunate to have 9 foot ceilings to reach up to. Makes the 'small' by modern standards 10x15 foot kitchen feel a lot larger.

Because we don't have any really long runs of cabinets, the frameless construction is less impactful, and frankly having framed inset doors would have probably looked too busy in this small space.

The thick 1.5" gables on the sides of the fridge and dishwasher are nice touches as well and help frame in the frameless doors.

• jenswrens
    12 years ago

Here are my frameless cabinets (photos of in progress while still awaiting trim and finishing touches). Definitely traditional or cottage. Not at all contemporary (imo).

• caryscott
    12 years ago

Attached is a link showing three versions of frameless. The inset look could be achieved the same way you treat Ikea cabinets by cladding the cabinet carcass with panels but you would lose space.

I actually like partial overlay framed cabinetry but I cannot imagine what the attraction of partial overlay frameless cabinetry would be and I have never seen it.

Most common is full overlay - most frameless cabinets are like this in Canada.

Here is a link that might be useful: frameless three ways

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I am afraid to click on that link.

• karenlk10
    12 years ago

I love love love looking at all these pics of your kitchens in one place!!!! All so pretty!!!!
    A fear I have re: frameless... since my house has been re-leveled THREE times since I moved in 20 yrs ago. Frameless have to fit together so perfectly, if the house shifts isn't that a problem in the fit of your cabinets?

• Fori
    12 years ago

McFeely likes his 3-ways? Marcolo, be brave! :)

Karen, if your house shifts that much, you'll be having issues with your framed ones as well. I think it'd be more obvious with framed because the frames would crack or come apart. I almost think frameless would be better. Hmm. Actually I think you should move! Or perhaps go with an unfitted kitchen!!

• melinrk
    12 years ago

There's nothing contemporary about ours:

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Melinrk - cool backsplash! I never would have thought to put the silver with the goldish granite - but wow!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Here are a few.
    ~boxer

• maggiebkit
    11 years ago

May just start a new thread, but would anyone be willingt o share what BRAND of frameless their cabinets are?
    Thanks!

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts