Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicekc_gw

Where do you put your drying dishes?

Alicekc
9 years ago

We just put in an apron sink with a 70/30 split. It replaced a 50/50 sink. I used to wash one side the dry in rack on other. Now I don't have enough room for drying rack in 30 side. Do you take out a dish rack each time and put it away when your done? Yikes a new thing to store in my cabinets.

Comments (21)

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I have2 dishwashers so 95% of my dishes are washed in that. The ones that are hand washed, I use the top of my stove since I don't have a drying rack.
    My stove is gas and the grates just seemed like a good drying rack to me.

At my old apartment with an electric stove I kept a drying rack under the sink and put it on the counter next to the sink when I was doing dishes. Its a PITA to me.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Alice, it sounds like you don't have a DW. I do, but I also wash a lot of things by hand because it's so simple and I only run my DW at most twice a week.

I have a large, single-bowl sink and sometimes dry things in there, on the rack. But primarily I use a small metal dish rack with a bottom that lets excess water run back into the sink. I do NOT try to hide it and put it away every time it's not in use. That would be crazy-making and I don't have time for those shenanigans. Besides, it's rarely empty, so what would be the point?

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

I have a 70/30 sink and put the dishes I hand wash in the 30 side as I wash them. Old sink was also a 70/30 split and came with a grid but they don't make one for my Swanstone sink as it is a low curved divide. I found two Rubbermaid mats in black at Target and cut one to fit that smaller side and no problem to set pans or whatever on before drying.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

We are getting close to the end of our reno but not everything is 100% yet...dishwasher is not installed yet. Typically everything except pots/pans/bakeware/knives goes in the dishwasher but the last few weeks...I lay a towel on the counter...cups, bowls, silverware/utensils go on the towel...plates get propped up on the grid to dry...pots and pans will be dried immediately and put away. I have always hated washing dishes but I've been really enjoying it with my new sink and faucet and counters! Still hoping for the dishwasher to be installed this weekend!!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

I also use the top of my gas stove to dry hand washed pots and pans. Plastics get put on a towel on the counter, propped so air can get underneath. My dishwasher runs daily but I still have some hand washables most days, or plastics that didn't fully dry in the Bosch because it doesn't have a heated dry. I love my Bosch so much that I can overlook this 'flaw' (although I know some find it a deal breaker to have some plastics come out wet in the end).

I am going to buy that rollup drying mat that goes over the sink. Love that! Looks like it would be a good base for a cutting board too to cut right over the sink.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I just bought the roll up drying mat and it is the best thing ever! I love it. It does work great giving that extra counter space especially in a small kitchen also when using a cutting board on it. I really like that it takes a sec to roll up and get it out of the way.

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

I'm with Jancy, drying mats are great. I put it by the sink and place each wet item on it as I wash them. I don't like dishes on my counter so when I'm done washing I dry them and put them away and roll up the mat and tuck it in a drawer. Worked great. Protects the counter, starts the drying process and is easy to store.
    Someone posted a photo of a really great roll up rack that fits over the sink recently. I think I'm going to order one and give it a try.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

There was a recent thread by deedles showing a cool over the sink drying rack. I haven't ordered it yet but plan to order.

I have a drying mat but didn't like how thick it was and felt some items were unstable (glasses for example)

So, I just use a WS pantry towel and toss in the laundry or my hiding space after use. Most items go in the DW

• linste22
    9 years ago

Do those drying mats take long to dry out? I'm wondering if it would ever get the chance to dry out so I could put it away in my house.

• Alicekc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys! I think I need to start using my dishwasher more. I don't usually put pans in it. My pans are mostly stainless so they can go in it. Can nonstick pans go I it? I love that over the sink roll out rack. I think I need to buy that. What a great idea. I'm so thankful for your responses because I've been stuck on this issue since the sink showed up.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Yes those roll ups are nice. Solutions.com has it on sale and I've never had any problems ordering from them

http://solutions.blair.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&keyword=dish+rack

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

I can't say if non stick can go in the dishwasher because I don't have any nonstick pans but I do put all my pans and bakeware in the dishwasher and I've never had a problem with it.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Lowes carries the roll up mats in their stores.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lowes roll up mat

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I try to put everything in the dw. Somethings will never go in because of size.

I'm tired of dealing with non dw safe items. I'm thinking of putting notes on them saying if anyone uses it, they must be the one to wash and dry it. If the notes are still on the items after 6 months (no one has used it) then I will donate it.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Tinker, thanks for that. I may try one - I currently use a drying mat, which is fantastic while it's out, but is hard to keep folded for storage (under the sink).

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

What a great post! I bought two plastic trays but this is not working out so I may try the drying mats to dry the plastic containers and lids that I put in my dishwasher that never dry all the way. Any brands that people like best?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I can't say it's better than any other version, but. I have the Original XL Dual Dish Drying Mat from BB&B and it works great.

• silken1
    9 years ago

Walmart has some nice padded drying mats. I use one for wine glasses and anything I don't want in the dishwasher. I dry them all and put them away as soon as I am finished washing everything. I have a pull out towel rack under my sink where I hang the mat to dry afterwards as well as my tea towel.

• jaynes123_gw
    9 years ago

Before cohabitating, I used to hand wash and use dishwasher to dry items. Boyfriend couldnt adjust plus his sink / counter are 'hidden' by a ledge so we use dishwasher plus bigger items in dish rack but still find myself occassionally drying items in dishwasher.

New build will have sink in island, no ledge so will be dealing with this concern ourselves.

• vvesper
    9 years ago

I usually set items on towel by sink to dry. Wash in one side of sink; rinse in other. For bigger pans and pots, I wash them last and prop them in the "rinse" side of the sink to dry.

As far as putting items in the DW--most things go in ours. A few exceptions, though. Crystal is washed by hand because it's much softer than glass and will eventually etch. I don't put nonstick in the DW. Revere-ware pans with the black handles do not go in DW--the handles will get rough and pitted (as my mom learned over the years, even using her DW rarely). Things that really need scrubbing may or may not. I may scrub and then put in DW, or else just scrub and dry on counter or in sink.