Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honey Onyx Backsplash anyone? Pics????

Posted by jess111 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 08 at 22:20

Trying to get ideas with field tiles, not mosaics. I didn't see the onyx in person yet, but the pics online of the tumbled variety look amazing. Haven't seen it in a BS yet, and I would love to mix with some amber glass......maybe some little insets? hmmmm...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honey Onyx Backsplash anyone? Pics????

I don't have honey onyx but I think it's beautiful and might use it in my bathroom remodel (currently not in the forseeable future but one of these days!)

My inspiration: femmelady's kitchen.
She was doing her remodel about the same time as I was doing mine and I fell in love with her whole kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: femmelady's kitchen in the fkb

o

great minds think alike :) as my onyx backsplash with copper glass frame is going in even as I post (forgive the "ninja" look from the spacers). our house is adobe and I thought the onyx helped keep the Southwestern feeling. I had started looking at Talavera tile but decided it was too busy against the granite.
Photobucket
closeup
Photobucket
The field tile is 4x4 cristal giallo tumbled onyx (sorry, can't find the source at the moment). The 1x2 brick is tumbled multi on 12x12 mesh sheets from Artistic Stone Maniscalco. The glass is honey baby bar (not doing well--don't remember that source either!).

I love femmelady's backsplash too! femmelady (per her previous posts) uses bees wax to protect every so often. I pre-sealed with Miracle Enhance and Seal as I preferred the wet look and know that I'm terrible on maintenance. The unenhanced stone is much lighter.

good luck!

o

We have smaller onyx tiles in our backsplash. We have stone on the wall above the cabinets & in a column at the end of the run, so we wanted a complimentary look.

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Oh my goodness, what gorgeous backsplashes! No wonder I'm in love with the look of this material, even though I haven't seen it in person. I love how the polished version brings out the veining in femme's kitchen, but giz & mtnfever, I also love the subtle tumbled look like you both have.

So many choices!

o

Jeffrey Court (Chapter 9 Pietrus Opus) has a beautiful honey onyx in a mosaic with black. i didnt notice the field tile on the website but they have it and trim pieces too.

o

If I recall correctly, Femmelady's backsplash is tumbled onyx that she periodically uses beeswax on to bring out the color. Isn't it stunning?

o

Hi everyone. My backsplash is tumbled honey onyx. mtnfever, I tried to seal my stone and every time it got wet, it would "white out" again. The beeswax was the only thing I found to keep the color true even when splashed or wiped with water.

There are many more pictures on my web site. under the hearth link.

We remodeled 4 years ago and I still adore the onyx. I would highly recommend it. It's just so beautiful. We also paired with copper insets from Walker Zanger.

And May, I still remember your beautiful grape/wine inspired kitchen with lavender hues. That was a fun time doing the remodel. There is almost nothing we would change.

o

jess, I meant to add, I think amber glass would be gorgeous set in the onyx. I love amber.

o

omg femmelady, your kitchen is beautiful!

That backsplash is absolutely breathtaking! The closeup pics look like the finish maintained the integrity of the tumbled stone, and it's not actually glossy. But the wax seemed to bring out the gorgeous veining and colors in the onyx.

Does the beeswax help protect the onyx from staining too?

o

Gizmonike - I love your tile and can't find that design pattern. Can you help with supplier information??

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here