Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Backsplash with granite

Posted by melissak (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 22:14

I have just put in a granite countertop and wood floors. I'm having trouble picking a backsplash. I do like the mosaics that have little color variation (the one on the bottom of the board) but am a little worried it will still be too busy with the granite. Also considering painting the cabinets white. Opinions please??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Backsplash with granite

Or possibly just a cream subway tile like this?

o

Here is a pic of the whole kitchen. This pic is at night, the kitchen has lots of natural light during the day.

o

I think the cream subway would look pretty.

o

Agree with michellemarie. Definitely think the modern multi-mosaic would look out of step with the granite and the wood cabinets. Personally, I don't think they ever go together but "taste" is individual like peanut butter, mayonnaise & lettuce sandwiches. The question is, looking at the following pictures, do you see hits or misses? (small photos, click through to see larger)

I think you should use a uniform, off-white subway tile that fades into its role masterfully, like Gene Hackman.

Congratulations on the new floor and granite. Your kitchen looks great!

o

Thanks for your responses. So Onedogedie, do you think the cream glass subway tile is too much? My husband doesn't like the ceramic subway tile because he thinks it looks like it belongs in a bathroom. But he does like the glass subway.

o

I agree with this:

Posted by onedogedie "Definitely think the modern multi-mosaic would look out of step with the granite and the wood cabinets. Personally, I don't think they ever go together [...]"

It's important to note that with the pattern of natural wood, the detail of your cabinetry, and the pattern of the granite, you have a lot of depth and complexity to your surfaces. You also have lots of homey decorations which add another layer. If your kitchen was mine, I'd be aiming for a matte look that "fades back" a bit with the backsplash. Glass is quite a shiny and eye-catching element and I'm not sure that your kitchen needs more visual elements.

o

Thanks for the advice. I'll find some matte subway tile and see how that compares. Any opinions on leaving the cabinets as is or painting them white??

o

Good advice about the tile.

How professional of a paint job are you talking about?

o

I wouldn't paint the cabinets. They look too nice to paint and I can't help but feel that painting cabinets that weren't meant to be painted will have the same end result as painting tiles or refinishing vintage bathtubs & sinks.

What is the cabinet hardware finish? I can't tell from the photograph.

My feeling about the glass tile is that your kitchen leans traditional with the style of your cabinet, and the granite too. Glass tile is modern, and I think it will look wrong with those elements. (All my opinion!) I don't think you need a matte tile. Glossy tile is good. Just not glass.

Your granite is very pretty. Your kitchen is the perfect backdrop for a great textile, to bring some color and pattern in. Tablecloth? Hand towels? Window treatment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here