Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My butcher block prep island

Posted by will2kz (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 22:13

So my space was small but I wanted a lot. I wanted a sink in this spot, not a huge sink, but one that could handle a disposer, or light dishwashing. I have a Kohler Stages 45 across from it, which is one single basin. Ideal for everything except filling with cold water to defrost a chicken.
Then I found the Franke Beaches sink and got this idea. I found a way to maximize my working area and still have the bigger sink when I want it.
Yes, my cabinet guy made the counter top to my specs, and hats off for being able to use the sink cut out for an actual cutting board.

So it functions like this. The hole opposite the sink is not only a handle to lift out the board, but the "scrap chute" to the sink below which has a disposer. The little sink has a "screw in bowl" that houses either a solid bowl or a strainer. I can just leave this strainer in at all times as it makes a great dumping spot for pasta, or cleaning spot for strawberries, etc etc.
I put the sink to the left because I wanted two drawers in the uppers and got them. My whole Henkels collection is in one, and three sets of measuring cups are in the other.
Yes I oil the h*&% out of this to keep it from warping as water and wood are really tricky.

I'll post more pics of the drawers later so you can see how its setup. I'll also include this in the final Kitchen Stadium reveal that I'm not giving out until its ready, so be patient.

This post was edited by will2kz on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 8:45

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My butcher block prep island

Cool! What is the size of the island and what are the internal dimensions of the sink? Can you post a picture without the cutting board covering the sink?

o

That is a Kohler Karbon faucet. A keen, and experienced eye, will notice that the handle and faucet are fairly far apart compared to other pics as Kohler normally only supplies an 8 inch hose between the two. I called Kohler to learn they make a longer hose, and they sent it to me for free! I did have to partially dismantle a VERY expensive faucet to get this hose on though. I had originally mounted it where the disposer switch is, but didn't like the reach to the back of the sink. All better now, and symmetrical.

For the design gals/guys: It is ~34x34 inch hard maple ~1.5 inches thick. I used this in my pantry and on my rolling china cabinet which is in another post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blind corner rolling pantry

o

That looks great! Very nice way to get exactly what you wanted and great work on behalf of your cabinet maker!

o

Thanks.

o

That is so clever!

o

Ingenious.

o

measuring cups

o

knives

o

Very, very cool. Just curious where you stash the cutting board/cover when you're using the sink?

o

That is WONDERFUL!!! What a great sink and faucet, and your cutting board cover is ingenious. You're making me very jealous of the fact that I don't have plumbing in my island!

o

Very cool.

o

I leave the cutting board cover in most of the time, if I want it out it cradles around the faucet without sticking out or it goes on the counter behind the sink next to the cooktop.

o

This is really cool and close to my heart as I have a a Kohler Karbon with a Franke beaches sink as well :). Very clever use of space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here