Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janeincolorado

Natural Red Birch Cabs - pics or ideas?

janeincolorado
15 years ago

I'm getting Red Birch Cabinets in Natural with shaker doors and slab drawers. I need ideas or pictures for countertops, colors, backsplash and floor - basically everything! I'm getting a great deal on 1 year old cabinets that I'll use to replace my original 1972 ugly cabs!!!!

Also, does anyone know what color it changes?

Any opinion also on making the island sage glazed cabs or black cab or matching natural red birch?

Thanks, JaneinColorado

Comments (14)

• cotehele
    15 years ago

bump~

I asked about red birch cabinets nearly a year ago. Didn't save the pics, but there are some beautiful kitchens that have them. Maybe they are still checking GW.

Good Luck!

• weissman
    15 years ago

I have natural red birch cabinets and love them. You can see pictures on my homepage or on the Finished Kitchens Blog. In fact, on the FKB you can find other kitchens with red birch although I think they only list birch as a category so you'll get a list that includes kitchens with regular birch as well.

Red birch doesn't change color like cherry does. What is unique about red birch is that they appear to change colors when you look at them from different angles.

I have blue pearl granite countertops and backsplash and really like how it goes with the cabinets.

• lrmax
    15 years ago

I just installed the natural red birch in the shaker style with the slab drawer and love them. I am getting soapstone counters, which will be installed next Tuesday. I also did a custom soapstone apron front sink, which looks beautiful against the wood. I will try and post some pictures next week after the counters are in. I have yet to pick out a floor or back splash as I have been waiting for the counters to be installed.

• janeincolorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so much for answering.

Cotehele, I searched previously for red birch but searching for birch really brought up a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion.

Weissman, I love your kitchen! I'll go look at blue pearl granite. It looks great in the pics.

Irmax, I'd love to see pics when you get them and to know how you like the soapstone. I love it with the red birch cabinets at the cabinet display store in town.

Thanks for your help. Jane

• foreverremodel
    15 years ago

We are very happy with our Natural Red Birch shaker doors/slab drawers. You can see the kitchen on FKB.

I have seen some older display NRB cabinets in showrooms
    that have "yellowed". They were in direct sun. We decided
    to do a UV protection tint on our sliding door to try to prevent some of that.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

linda.... beautiful kitchen. I really like your chimney style hood and how you have it installed. Can you provide some info about it and how pleased you are with it?
    Thanks!

• janeincolorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda, thanks for sharing! Your kitchen is beautiful. What type crown did you use? What countertop? What floor? What backsplash? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Jane

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Red birch always stops me in my tracks. It's one of my alternate dream kitchen materials. It's like a joyous celebration of life, in wood, iykwim. Can you tell how much I *love* it? To me it positively vibrates.

It turns a deeper version of the vibrant red-gold it starts with, IME. Would go great with blues or greens or even greyish tones of either. Soapstone, of course, would be beautiful too.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

Almost two years after working on my red birch cabs, I am happy to report that they still look really good! No darkening, no splitting or cupping. I used 3/4" solid red birch for all doors and drawer fronts. It is a wonderful material to work with. With the oil based polyurethane finish, the grain shimmers under the halogen spot lights :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Reb birch cabs

• linda-z
    15 years ago

Thanks, JaneInColorado and Remodelfla. I am happy with the way things turned out, too! :) I love the grain in red birch.

Anyway, to answer your questions. The floors are also birch. My counters are candeias de verde granite (aka candeias green.) Our contractor made the crown himself by layering two planks of birch. (It is the same flavor of the layering design on the cabinets, themselves.) The backsplash is polished honey onyx.

Remodelfla, the hood is Faber and yes, I am happy with it. We had an issue with the venting, which is why the chimney has a repeat of the molding around it. (The vent needed to curve a bit to make it outside.)

Pharoah, your kitchen is lovely!

Hope this helps! - Linda-z

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

pharaoh... I have no words to adequately convey how beautiful I think your kitchen. I can't believe you made those cabinets. I have a million questions for you but will start with a just a few (dont' want to hijack this thread). How much wood working experience did you have? Did you build cabs before? Is red birch a harder wood and is it a more expensive wood? Did you save alot of money building them yourself or was the cost comparable to purchasing cabinets? My DH is very talented however has never built cabinets. He already has alot of tools and we're open to buying whatever we would need to fill in. We're doing a whole house remodel and extension; as much of it DIY as possible. I don't think he'll do the electrical. Did you come up with the design? And lastly... the two years it took, was this while working outside the home as well? He's retired due to a severe leg injury so has time to put into this. Truly... a phenomenal job. OH! one more... what is the benefit to creating a reverse raised panel on the back of the door? Looks gorgeous.

• janeincolorado
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you to everyone! I couldn't find anyone out here who seemed confident they knew much about red birch. Thanks, Jane

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

remodel,
    You can email me directly..