Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grout or caulk at bottom of backsplash?

Posted by repac (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 22:07

Our tile backsplash is grouted all the way down to the granite. Is that typical? Would it be better to caulk at the bottom of the backsplash, right above the granite, to make a better seal? Don't know if it should be treated as tile around a bathtub, which is grouted at the juncture between the tub and tile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grout or caulk at bottom of backsplash?

Ours is caulked..

o

Per Bill Vincent, guru of tile: "Any change of plane (at inside corners) gets caulked."

o

Caulking is usually preferred where the two meet. The vertical wall and horizontal counter are bound to have some movement, so caulking can "give" where grout will likely crack. No need to worry, you may be fine for years, and once (if ever) it cracks you can dig out the old grout and replace with caulking...

o

caulk. grout will cause problems eventually from movement.

o

Caulk. If the grout is brand new, it will be fairly easy to cut it out if you don't wait.

o

When changing planes or two different materials abut, always caulk.

o

What would you do if the joint width is 1/16"? The Laticrete color-matched caulks I looked at say only use on 1/8" width or larger.

o

I'd tape both sides of the joint and use an unsanded color-matched grout or clear grout - really squish it into the joint - smooth it, and remove the tape.

There is also a runny crack sealant for these spots. I don't remember the name of it, but my tile guys used it in a couple of spots.

o

Ours was grouted and it was chirping away after only 6 monrpths! We will replace with caulk thus summer.

o

Actually it is chipping, not chirping, no birds were harmed in the install of our backsplash I promise.

o

lazygardens -- thanks, that's what my GC is planning to do.

I think it will look nicer to grout this. Seems to me if the small amount of grout that's there does noticeably crack, I could reapply or apply caulk later if it's really needed.

o

If you do decide to caulk later, remember to write down the brand and color of the grout you used now so that you can get the color-matched caulk. In a year or so, you may not remember!

o

My backsplash just got completed and my tile guy did the same epoxy grout. If it is an epoxy grout, does it matter?

o

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll ask KD about putting in caulk. Not sure how much I should push this with her?

What do the stone experts think of the grout/caulk issue? Oldryder, your opinion would be most welcome.

o

Good tip Julie. We grouted last year, and sure enough it pulled apart and cracked. We then had to carefully remove the grout, and then caulked it. We were just being cheap, and hoping it would hold up, but it didn't.

o

GWlolo:

I asked my contractor, and he said his tile guys use epoxy-based grout whenever there are two different materials with different expansion rates. (slab and tile, tile and tub, ...) Normal grout would crack, and caulk wouldn't look as nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here