Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
repac_pbc

Grout or caulk at bottom of backsplash?

repac
10 years ago

Our tile backsplash is grouted all the way down to the granite. Is that typical? Would it be better to caulk at the bottom of the backsplash, right above the granite, to make a better seal? Don't know if it should be treated as tile around a bathtub, which is grouted at the juncture between the tub and tile.

Comments (16)

• peonybush
    10 years ago

Ours is caulked..

• seattlecraftsman
    10 years ago

Per Bill Vincent, guru of tile: "Any change of plane (at inside corners) gets caulked."

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Caulking is usually preferred where the two meet. The vertical wall and horizontal counter are bound to have some movement, so caulking can "give" where grout will likely crack. No need to worry, you may be fine for years, and once (if ever) it cracks you can dig out the old grout and replace with caulking...

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    10 years ago

caulk. grout will cause problems eventually from movement.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Caulk. If the grout is brand new, it will be fairly easy to cut it out if you don't wait.

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

When changing planes or two different materials abut, always caulk.

• calumin
    10 years ago

What would you do if the joint width is 1/16"? The Laticrete color-matched caulks I looked at say only use on 1/8" width or larger.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

I'd tape both sides of the joint and use an unsanded color-matched grout or clear grout - really squish it into the joint - smooth it, and remove the tape.

There is also a runny crack sealant for these spots. I don't remember the name of it, but my tile guys used it in a couple of spots.

• ratrem
    10 years ago

Ours was grouted and it was chirping away after only 6 monrpths! We will replace with caulk thus summer.

• calumin
    10 years ago

lazygardens -- thanks, that's what my GC is planning to do.

I think it will look nicer to grout this. Seems to me if the small amount of grout that's there does noticeably crack, I could reapply or apply caulk later if it's really needed.

• julie94062
    10 years ago

If you do decide to caulk later, remember to write down the brand and color of the grout you used now so that you can get the color-matched caulk. In a year or so, you may not remember!

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

My backsplash just got completed and my tile guy did the same epoxy grout. If it is an epoxy grout, does it matter?

• repac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll ask KD about putting in caulk. Not sure how much I should push this with her?

What do the stone experts think of the grout/caulk issue? Oldryder, your opinion would be most welcome.

• Lake_Girl
    10 years ago

Good tip Julie. We grouted last year, and sure enough it pulled apart and cracked. We then had to carefully remove the grout, and then caulked it. We were just being cheap, and hoping it would hold up, but it didn't.

• lwerner
    10 years ago

GWlolo:

I asked my contractor, and he said his tile guys use epoxy-based grout whenever there are two different materials with different expansion rates. (slab and tile, tile and tub, ...) Normal grout would crack, and caulk wouldn't look as nice.