Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Backsplash Pattern - 50 words or less with pix

oldbat2be
11 years ago

Thanks to all who have helped in earlier posts. 6x6 or 4x4 square simple tiles. Plan to build tiled shelf and walls and side niches on side. Glaring issues? Thanks in advance.

Comments (16)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

(The 50 words or less applies to ME; wrote a book in my first post).

Found first glaring issue: UCL. So, can't build out sides all the way forward. Here, recessed ~ 2 inches.

From the front (shadow box and shelf dimensions don't seem quite proportional).

From the side:

rhome410's idea: build frame and inset shelf. This looks more proportional but I really like the 'enclosed cooktop area look.' I could use the pot filler with this.

• davidro1
    11 years ago

i would leave the countertop un-covered. I would build a narrow ceramic shelf (for spices and little things) into the backsplash ceramic. It would be several inches above the counter. It would so narrow, it's like a windowsill or ledge. Above it I would build a deeper shelf. It would be made of tempered glass. Both shelves have to be washed often. Everything on these shelves has to be washed too. To simulate the side thingies you have shown, I am not sure what I would build. It is a good idea, but I wouldn't make it extend down to the countertop.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

You have a big kitchen with lovely cabinets. It has a ton of those and a lot going on, particularly on the range wall. My preference would be to keep it very simple by doing only the bottom raised shelf behind the range and I'd tile that. I find the side divisions overly complex.

I would tile the back wall, of course, and continue it between the cabinets. The photoshopped hoop tile pattern is not-so-much for me because it seems to push at the cabinets. Even on the rendering, I sort of don't know what to look. It looks out of scale.

4 x 4 tile is great but when it's lined up it tends to look bathroom-y or retro 60s. If you're going with 4 x 4 a great textured tile could go a long way there and I'd do it staggered.

The range niche and medallion make sense to me when there's a fabulous range to showcase. I'm less in favor when there's a cooktop since all it's selling is the knobs.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

*Warning* After degreasing hood, I'm all cleaning!

Both.

Like the side panels, but not side niches. Too small for crock'o'tools, too hot for spices-oils, unseen surfaces wearing splatters. Plus, I like my elbows; don't wanna toast them.

Like the height above burners and inset rectangle of rhome's wall, maybe combine?

50 words if small cheats are permitted>

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! Here are suggestions as I understood them.

From davidro1: Upper glass shelf, lower, narrow, tiled shelf. I like the tempered glass shelf idea.

From rococogurl: Raised shelf, staggered square tile. (I need to think about the textured tile and track some down). This looks nice and clean but I still have that big unbroken space.

Question -- Was thinking - doesn't the bathroom look come from when square tiles are used, with very thin grout lines?

I still like the range niche idea. While it's a cooktop, it is a 48" gas cooktop, and the view of the lower cabinets is hidden by the island, from across the room / entrance to kitchen.

bmorepanic's: side niches nixed though I could place them on the other side of the 'thingies' (to use davidro1's technical term). Not sure where you were going with reference to rhome410s?. There is 9" elbow space on both sides of the cooktop, though it doesn't look it, on the right side (I'm off on some measurement).

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Yes, you do have that big unbroken space. That's precisely what's so great. I would so want to bling that out with tile and not chop it up unnecessarily. Don't forget the shelf can be accessorized with great bottles and ceramic pieces. I love being able to get a pot or serving dish on the counter right next to the range -- so handy.

There's a huge number of textured Ceramic tiles at Ann Sacks. After you click on each one, the styles show under the "Concepts" tab.

Apologies in advance for doing this to you. Nottingham Honeycomb would be my pick -- top photo and second down on the left. Many colors.

Otherwise, if tile is plain, then I like it staggered. It's stacked 4 x 4 tile that looks bathroom-y, nothing to do with grout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh wow oh wow oh wow. My heart is definitely beating a littler faster.... that tile is fun, stunning, and not trendy. I do see what you're saying about the bling that would bring :) I'd given up on a large bold tile but hadn't considered anything with texture.

Closeup:

P.S. DH will be thrilled if he doesn't have to build my convoluted cooktop niche. Thanks very much for the suggestion. (Fingers crossed that it'll be in price range...).

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Not zactly what I was thinking.. closer to take rhome's and put the verticals on it.

If you're happy with the honeycomb - that's one fine tile. Not sure I'd do the thin shelf at all and certainly not out of the same material. What are you using for counters?

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

So glad you like it. I rarely make specific suggestions but I felt that one. If Nottingham isnt in price range and you cannot get there through any rationalization, I'd comb through the various boards and you night find an interesting shape in the AS basics. Lots of textures though that's my current favorite. It's also amazing in the green. I agree -- classic, not trendy, and lots of bling for that space. Alternately have you looked at Moroccan tiles? Those are often used in Belgian kitchens. I could see those, too. Lots of surface texture. You've got such a super 'splash area!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry bmorepanic... I'll mock up yours later :) I know I'm mixing materials like crazy but I am finding it easier and easier to play with design concepts with Sketchup. Wish I'd tried it earlier in the project. All you have to do is create a jpeg out of tile found on a website and...

Counters are Torquay quartz, so some resemblence to marble.

I've reached out to my AS salesperson (many samples received to date) for info on the honeycomb. I can't quite figure out coloring - the tile displayed is an off white tile, but the coloration is definitely caramel-y... wonder if you pick that too? Pricing appears to be less than $30 which is in the ballpark.

What would you do for a shelf? I sort of like the SS in the AS photo.

rococogurl - I'm pleased as punch, so happy you suggested this option. Will be back for color input I'm sure eventually. Do you have any inspiration pictures of the green, by any chance? By Moroccan, do you mean arabesque? Love them, but immediately think of Bee; it's her tile in my mind :)

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Clarification - shelf question.

Assume flat backsplash, with some shelf behind cooktop area. With this tile, size, location and material?

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Love the AS Nottingham! Would do that in a heart beat. Sounds like it would be great with the Torquay. What color will your cabs be?

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Love the AS Nottingham! Would do that in a heart beat. Sounds like it would be great with the Torquay. What color will your cabs be?

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi BlackChamois, cabs are in :) Perimeter cabinets are an off-white, island ones are cherry.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

With your counters, the "veil" color looks perfect to me. But the green colorway shows a bit more about how the tile is made. The colors appear to be integral. The sales person can tell you more.

Moroccan tile has nothing to do with the arabesque shape Bee used. That's just a field tile shape. If you google some of the Belgian blogs you will see a lot of Moroccan zilij as they are called. It can be as large a 8 x 8 or as small as 1 x 1 but it has an irregularity and super surface quality. AS also has some in 2 x 2 that is really great looking. Again, the sales person will know. I had some pics of it when I was looking for tile a while back but cannot find them. Here's a pic from a Belgian blog that shows how the tile looks behind a range. It's not inexpensive but don't think it's prohibitive. Mosaic House is one source -- here's an example from that site. If I recall you've been working on this for a while, so good luck!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh phooey. ~$120 / SF. Crankily thinking it over.

Unfortunately, moodboard looks pretty decent:
    {{!gwi}}

Thanks for the green tile picture. I like the larger white square tile in the picture you just posted, but don't like the mosaic-y 2x2's in the link.