Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babushka_cat_gw

Babushka Cat Kitchen Preview...

babushka_cat
11 years ago

I am waiting for a few things before I can post my finished kitchen. Open items include lighting, breakfast nook furnishings, window coverings, painting etc. But wanted to post a preview since I have made progress and since you have all been so fabulously helpful! The before and the almost finished of one wall of my 1942 cottage kitchen pictured below.

THE BEFORE PHOTO

THE ALMOST FINISHED PHOTO

Comments (33)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• catlover5
    11 years ago

It is really lovely. Can't wait to see the rest of the photos and get the details! I love the look.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Wow.
    A serious change.
    What did you do with that cool, old stove?

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I so love your kitchen! Can you take a close up of your door for me? I've been looking at door styles. Is there a bead or edge on the door? I see something there but can't tell exactly : )

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

I so love your kitchen! Can you take a close up of your door for me? I've been looking at door styles. Is there a bead or edge on the door? I see something there but can't tell exactly : )

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks all. stove was donated to reStore place, hoping someone might want to restore her to her former glory. was in need of major repair.

your wish is my command fishie. assuming you meant cabinet door edge...

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Babushka cat - It appears that the side panel and door style is slightly different (the inside edge detail). Am I seeing that correctly? Love it! Looks amazing! What are your counters and backsplash please?

• peonybush
    11 years ago

Very, very nice. Can't wait to see the rest.
    BTW--what is your wall color. I really like it.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Aaaaahhhhh, so nice. I will look forward to the rest!

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

What? Where are the cats??? The backsplash came out great, such a pretty kitchen. Is there a toe kick under the base? Anyone thinking about doing furniture feet should look at this example. You really brought a lot of beautiful details in with the latches, bin pulls, and the detail on the drawer/doors.
    Excellent job!

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, due to a previously reported cabinet door disaster that resulted in firing the cabinet maker, the doors had to be re-made. As a result, the doors and cabinet side panel edges are slightly different. The doors were sourced by a pre-made door place vs. cabinets which were made locally. It is not noticable unless you are up close and look at them at an angle.

Wall color is Benjamin Moore Putnam Ivory. Counters are Honed Calacatta Cremo Delicato Marble - unusual caramel color. Backsplash is Grazia Melange Butter Blend.

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

That backsplash turned out so well. It was made for your counters. :)

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

What a difference. It really looks good.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

babushka, it's beautiful. But, what do the cats think? Have they given it a paw's up?

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Love that backsplash :) I can't wait to see the whole thing!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

So nice, so far!!! Looking forward to the big reveal!

• mmhmmgood
    11 years ago

What an improvement! It's looking great, can't wait to see the all done pix!

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Lovely....and there's that stunning backsplash again...but where's kitty? Waiting for more pics!!!

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I love the feet on the cabinets. Those are amazing!

I need to stop opening pics of finished kitchens when I'm sitting in my aging golden oak kitchen (100%functional and probably very expensive for the PO). It makes me want to do bad things to our checking account ;)

• KBH
    11 years ago

So elegantly beautiful. Love the feet on the cabinets. My cats would have tons of toys and balls under there inside of a week.

• michelle16
    11 years ago

I loveit, can't wait to see the rest. What color are the cabs??

• slush1422
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see the rest!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love your marble and your backsplash is perfect! The feet on your cabinets are wonderful! I love the idea of having the hardwood floor all open underneath. The inset cabinets are gorgeous too!

• jerzeegirl
    11 years ago

BC: Just beautiful! I am so eager to see the pictures of your finished kitchen!

My DH and I were discussing last night the idea of doing feet on our cabinets with hardwood floor underneath. We think it really would lighten the space.

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks all for the positive comments!

The cabinet color is BM Simply White.
    There are kicks under the cabs but they are recessed about 4 or 5" back so they only show at certain angles. I have not yet painted them black, but think I will so they further recess when you do see them.

The floors are Quarter-sawn red oak random plank hardwood floors to match the rest of the flooring in the house. So glad I extended them into the kitchen, I really like having hardwood in the kitchen.

Kitty cats love the new kitchen but the orange one is less than pleased that I put latches on the cabinets - he cannot "cabinet cruise" anymore.

thanks again, will post finish pics when available.

• go_figure
    11 years ago

hi Babushka Cat
    Got alot of info here that I sent you an email for earlier.
    can you tell me if you liked your contractor and who it was?

Also what are the dimensions of your kitchen?

You must be soooo happy :)

Thank you!

• babushka_cat
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hi jhumphry

did not get your email, do not have email activated.
    i am in Northern CA, the GC does not work in your location, sorry i cannot be of assistanceon that front.
    dimensions are 11x13. ie: small. original footprint, vintage 1942 cottage.

i am loving it. still a few things to finish up, but will get there...

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Looking so great! Love the furniture style legs. With the really recessed toekick, it really gives the look that you don't have toekicks...even though we aren't going that route, love that in your kitchen. Can't wait to see the rest!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Very Nice!! I too am loving the feet on those cabinets!! Nice WORK!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

I love the BM Putnam Wall color! I love the BM Simply White used on your gorgeous cabinets. I love the design of the cabinets doors and the stainless steel appliances. I love your counters. Your kitchen is turning out beautiful!

• postquake_angela
    11 years ago

Babushka Cat, your marble countertops are just lovely! Would you recommend your counter people? We are in the Bay area as well. Thanks!

• marcydc
    11 years ago

Lovely B.C.!

Postquake_angela, I am in the SF Bay Area too. I had a fabulous stone guy - Dimitri at Custom Stone in San Leandro. I had references from 2 close friends who couldn't say enough good things about him as well. He even came out and fix the chip may 13 year old made - for free!

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Babuska_cat, please more photos of your kitchen. Would also like to see your blind corner usage and how what looks like pullouts (fake drawer/cabinet look) work.

thanks!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!