Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanva106

what ikea can get you before and after

sanva106
10 years ago

1954 original kitchen just put finishing touches on remodel today that my father and I did. Took a long time 2 months +. Only thing subbed out was wood floor.

Removed a bedroom wall that the L runs into and now goes out to backyard with French doors.

Cabinets and granite , sink, hood all IKEA 20% off sale.
Handles found online.

Comments (23)

• sis2two
    10 years ago

That looks so nice! What a transformation.

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

Congratulations to you!

I love the shimmer in the backsplash.

I bet you are lovin' all the drawers.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

That is sooooo nice. Please post more pictures and details when you get a chance!

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Few more love these drawer mods from IKEA for trash or recycle. 24" base cabinet.
    Also view to back doors, this was a bedroom, the L runs into it slightly.

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cheap luftig hood from IKEA I placed it 34" above range it vents outside. I was a but worried but cooked bacon numerous times and on high no residual smell. Not bad for $300.

My father and I winged this design and all from scratch. The IKEA cabinet dept was very helpful and we were lucky we had a good rep while we designed the kitchen there. We were there for 6 hours designingand buying all our stuff to be delivered later.

Cabinet material costs $5k (includes hood , sink, faucet)
    Granite $4-k

Any other ? Im all ears.

• huango
    10 years ago

NICE!

Sanva: just a thought: for the trash/recyle, you should really use the higher backs drawers, where there's a bar that connects to the door, so the drawer doesn't loosen from the door as easily due to use (pulling the door out to open the drawer). The bar is just another fastening point.

If you can't return these drawers, it seems like you have room to install them right above these short wastebaskets. Just need to buy the fronts of the drawer.

I really need to post pix of my Ikea kitchen.
    We put an electrical in our cabinet, so we installed our paper shredder in there. Love it for mail-management: recycle junk mail, shred the bank statements, etc.

more pix!

Amanda

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh then bar on the first drawer is not installed yet. The second is, its the 2 bars that attach to screws. I just need to find 2 small ones.
    I drilled the holes like they had on display about 12 inches from the bottom but maybe higher would have been better.

Edit: you might be talking about something different you have pics?

This post was edited by sanva106 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 13:34

• chinchette
    10 years ago

sanva that is really nice! That closes me on doing Lidingo if I ever do another Ikea kitchen. It has enough of a traditional look for an older house. What granite is that? It looks great. You did a really good job.

• shelayne
    10 years ago

You did an amazing job; your kitchen is beautiful! Hooray for IKEA!

More pix, please! :)

• function_first
    10 years ago

How gorgeous is that!!! I can't wrap my mind around the outcome vs the price you paid -- something that gorgeous should not have come that inexpensively!!! Nice work. Would love to see a close up of what you did for the crown around the top of the cabinets, very streamlined, and like that it doesn't have a gap.

The hutch area is just beautiful with those glass doors -- I just basically love your whole kitchen. Thanks for sharing!

• chinchette
    10 years ago

Yes, what piece did you use for the crown? How much room did you have there?

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I will add that the appliances were $6,500 and that's because we picked nicer ones.

Used Lowes subway tile this time , vs local tile shop I used for a shower. Saved a bundle , back splash total cost $300 + $100 saw rental.

Wood floor patch in to match rest of house oak and he refinished the room it runs into $1500 this was subbed out (love the floor result)

The crown is a piece IKEA sells with the kitchen it comes in 8 ( or 6 I think) foot long pieces. It was screwed to the top of the cabinet, tried to finish nail but it was not working out right. There was a gap I was worried about but it was small enough for the caulk to finish nicely.

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another before , this wall was removed and runs to the French doors now.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Wow- what a transformation - we need more pictures and details!!
    Nice job on what I can see!

• function_first
    10 years ago

Thanks for the crown detail, it looks great!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Really lovely! That is some impressive DIY. You did a great job. Congratulations!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing such an amazing make-over using Ikea cabinets. They are very nice and I love the crown molding with them! What height are the cabinets. Thanks for the crown details. I need to visit an Ikea store!

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wall cabinets are 39" ceilings are 8 feet.

Hardware was all from a place online , we had IKEA hardware picked but returned it last minute after seeing someone's blog and their hardware. Glad we did! Wife did awesome job picking colors, granite ( Ikea's "glacier d" ), drilling and measuring all handle holes.

I'll add my dad does construction for an living so he has the know how , its not a true diy you see on diy network and the people know very little.

Thanks.

• sanva106
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wall cabinets are 39" ceilings are 8 feet.

Hardware was all from a place online , we had IKEA hardware picked but returned it last minute after seeing someone's blog and their hardware. Glad we did! Wife did awesome job picking colors, granite ( Ikea's "glacier d" ), drilling and measuring all handle holes.

I'll add my dad does construction for an living so he has the know how , its not a true diy you see on diy network and the people know very little.

Thanks.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Sanva for letting me know that the wall cabinets are 39" and the ceilings are 8 ft like my ceilings. I would like cabinets that I can put a small crown molding on top like yours. Thank you!

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

Great job! We are nearly done our IKEA remodel too and we are very happy with it :)

We also used the "deco strip" moulding IKEA sells to match the cabinets, it looks like crown.

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    8 years ago

Beautiful job! you're very lucky to have your Dad to help you! I think I read on JD Powers that Ikea kitchens are highly rated. I love the white theme, we will most likely also be going with white on white in our kitchen as well.