Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slonewby_gw

switchplate covers on backsplash

slonewby
11 years ago

what does everyone do about switchplate/outlet covers? Seems a shame to put ugly plastic on a lovely tile backsplash.....thoughts on this one??

Comments (15)

• thrauli
    11 years ago

Someone else posted about these awhile back. Not sure where the thread is but here's a link to the site

Here is a link that might be useful: Matching switchplates

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

still working on it catlover~ almost there (I hope!) I've never heard of plugmolds...going to check it out now

Thanks for the site thrauli !

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hmmm...not doing plugmolds. I'm stuck with outlets and switchplate covers. Love the matching switchplate site but they're pretty expensive and I have alot of them....nothing is easy, huh? Maybe I can find some pretty vintage reproduction plates and paint them to match the cabs? I don't know...open to suggestions

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I may have found something to work....we have bronze knobs/pulls and here is the kitchen (planning to use the malt colored tile in the middle (the 4x4 is pictured but will use a 3x6 subway)....how about these switchplate covers?? (sorry, not sure how to share a link...cut and paste the following?)

http://www.wallplatesonline.com/Arabesque-Antique-Bronze-Cover-Plates_p_2422.html

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

It looks like those bronze arabesque wall plates have a lot of texture. It might make them difficult to clean if they get splashed on your backsplash.

You might also look on arnev.com which has a lot of wall plates at reasonable prices. We used them for cherry wall plates to use on our island outlets.

We used Columbia Gorge Stoneworks for the backsplash wall plates. They were great to work with and did an excellent job. Yes, they were expensive compared to off the shelf wall plates but we have no regrets about the decision. (We could easily afford it and we spent enough on the stone that we wanted the outlets to blend.)

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Who says it has to be ugly plastic? Even your neighborhood hardware store should have pretty wood or metal switchplate covers.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't see your link. That's so pretty! Maybe hard to clean, but how often do you get gunk on a switch cover? I do while using a mixer to make cookies or something, but an occasional scrub with a toothbrush doesn't seem that bad for beauty's sake. Unless it's a dust-catcher...that'd be gross and harder to get it all, considering how kitchen grease can combine with the dust.

This bronze switch plate would be much easier to clean but is still a far cry from ugly plastic.

Perhaps the gorgeous Arabasque plate is better saved for a bedroom or (hairspray-free) bath?

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Post a Link (from New to Kitchens? Read Me!)

• User
    11 years ago

The Arabasque covers are beautiful, but do you want to focus on the outlets/switches or make them blend with the BS?

I spray painted mine and they're holding up great.

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

Spray paint?! I love that idea! Thank you!

Although, I am in the "no bs yet" kitchen, over a year now!

Thank you, everyone who posts. It helps!

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

I used the white outlets and covers because they blend right into my white backsplash and that is how I wanted it. The bronze one looks like it would be very difficult to clean and if you go with a white backsplash, i think it is going to make people focus on the outlets instead of ignoring them.

• slonewby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never thought of spraying them....

I agree that all of the decorative plates will draw attention to themselves. Not something I want to do but they'll draw attention anyway so they may as well be pretty. I ordered one of each plate to see up close and personal. I have other places in the house picked out to use them if I don't like them in the kitchen.

As for cleaning. There are only two plates that could potentially get messy...dust/air grease might be another issue but even that should be minimal on most of them....might just be another thing to do once a year when I seal granite and floors huh?

If I were doing granite b/s, I'd consider the custom plates but with the tiles, not sure I want to go that route. Boy, it'd be simple if I were doing a white b/s!!!

• cindaintx
    11 years ago

Lutron makes outlet and switch covers in many colors and finishes. My local lighting store carries several and has samples of the wilder ones. One of them might be a good match for your tiles.
    I spray painted my ordinary covers in my "before" kitchen. I added a couple of top coats of clear satin Krylon to take the shine off and add durability. They looked great. (Unfortunately we are also at the "everything but backsplash" stage so my current kitchen has outlet covers kind of hanging out of the painted wall...)
    Home Depot sells plates with a paintable surface. You could even try faux painting them to match the color variations in your tile. My friend did that, but she's much more artistic than I am...

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

Lutron will send samples of its colors free. Even if you are decide to use something else for the wall plates, you might want to use Lutron outlets and switches in a color that works with the wall plates you choose.

We used Lutron matte black outlets and switches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron colors

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I spray painted my outlet and switch plates in my bathroom to brushed nickel. Just a little scuffing up first, and I think coat of BIN primer, because at the time my store didn't have brushed nickel spray paint for plastic. Mine show no signs of wear, but they don't get scrubbed as often as they would in a kitchen. I agree with your thought that if they're going to stand out anyway, they might as well be pretty.