Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lleet

Can't Believe It's My Turn to Share a Finished Kitchen!

lleet
15 years ago

First of all, THANK YOU to everyone who posted questions and pictures and who answers questions and shared their stories. As a "mostly lurker" I benefited greatly from your conversations. I will certainly try to help others now that IÂve been through it, made the mistakes, and learned the lessons.

What started out as a minor upgrade to our 1920 Tudor house turned into a major renovation, and of course the kitchen was the best/worst part of it. WeÂre 95% there  the cabinets still need so adjusting and weÂre missing the fridge (itÂs on a truck somewhere) but weÂre just thrilled to be back in our house. So here it isÂ

(Empty spot is where the fridge will go once it arrives. The panty is to the right if it, although its not in the picture.)

Thanks again for everything (especially to the marble fans who were so willing to share the good and the bad.)

Comments (55)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the colors of the cabinets and the marble--my favorite. What a beautiful kitchen. You should be so proud. Did great! Congrats!

• lleet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much! I really am pleased with how it turned out. My biggest fear was that we had the opportunity to do what ever we wanted and that I would mess it all up! :-) So thanks for the kind words. I did have the help of an interior designer for the layout. I had an inspiration picture that I was focused on from the start. It may all the difference because the choices really are overwhelming and there are so many beautiful combinations out there.

The island and bar countertop are honed Danby Calcutta marble. I really liked the honed look and am hoping it will disguise etching better. The island is honed Milley Gray marble, with a butcher block edge. The butcher block is a place holder for walnut that is on order. We originally fell in love with a brown granite, but itÂs was super expensive and I just couldnÂt justify it. The plan was to use granite on the island since itÂs more durable, but I couldnÂt find anything I liked. The Milley Gray was $37 sq ft, and the color blended with the house so we decided it was a sign from the kitchen gods.

Ravmd  All the cabinets where custom made on site. It sounds a bit extravagant, but it was actually significantly less expensive that what IÂve seem others pay. The carpenter works with our contractor and did all the wood work in the house. Basically, we drew it, he made it. All the cabinets, including the island are maple. The stain on the island is one coat of walnut and one coat of ebony stain.

boysrus2 Â the lights are from Horchow and they were my splurge. Our house is an 1920Âs Tudor, so we tried to incorporate as many original elements as possible. The arch to the bar mirrors the arch from the other side of the dining room.

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Gorgeous. Enjoy. I am contemplating 2 granite colours, so I always like to see examples of something similar. What colour are the cabinets and hardware and what type of faucet is it?

thanks,
    Judy

• california_dreamer
    15 years ago

Wow! What a beautiful kitchen. I absolutely love it! you did a fabulous job. I'm sure yours will become an "inspiration" kitchen for many others. Congrats!

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! Really wonderful choices!

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

absolutely LOVE it!!! the light fixtures are incredible... you must be so happy to have splurged for them! love the symmetry in your bar area and the leaded glass windows. well done!

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

My new mantra - Calm and cooling! in other words - gorgeous!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Really beautiful...congratulations and enjoy!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

Really beautiful!! I thought the bar was a butler's pantry at first. Either way, it's gorgeous! Wish we could see all of the island lights - I don't suppose you could take a pic from further back? Love your house - the arch, the leaded glass windows, the coffered ceiling - your new kitchen fits in so well with the rest of the house. Really, really lovely. Absolutely another inspiration kitchen.

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

I'm really in love with your island cabs and the silver pulls on your white cabs. Could you tell me where you got the pulls? Thanks! Gorgeous kitchen!

• gw_monkeyjac
    15 years ago

Drop dead gorgeous! It's perfect from top to bottom. Love the island lights, the marble, the mixed finishes. The bar is to die for! Great attention to detail. Well done!

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is straight up eye candy! Every choice is perfection. We need details on those island lights. Love, love, love them. How long did it take start to finish for the custom cabs?

• tkln
    15 years ago

Stunning!!!

The marble is gorgeous...as is everything else...enjoy!!

• iris16
    15 years ago

Very beautiful. Do you have a breakfast area table or bar stools?

• User
    15 years ago

Really beautiful. You have done a lovely job of keeping the feel of your historical home. c

• chrissiemw
    15 years ago

WOW! Love the way everything looks together. The light fixtures look really intersting, do you have a better pic to share of those?

I love your wetbar too! Wish I had a kitchen big enough (heck a house big enough) to incorporate a wetbar into it.

Great job!

• ravmd
    15 years ago

lleet-thanks for the stain info on the island and wet bar-great choices!
    One more ??? -- what are the dimensions of each (island and wet bar).
    Thanks!!

• bellsrus
    15 years ago

Looks great! Beautiful job!

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! Beautiful.. love everything about it - you must be tickled pink!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Oh it's gorgeous! Your kitchen will never look dated. You did a great job. I'm drooling over your marble!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Did you come up with this yourself or did you hire a designer?- (hope you hadn't said already- I did read through quickly)Love the glass doors in your bar area- still waiting for mine, and I really like the simplicity of yours- may have to rethink where I was going with mine! Is that glass bevelled or plain?

• malhgold
    15 years ago

absolutely lovely!!! All the elements work beautifully together.

Question about the end of your island where the BB(soon to be walnut) piece is. Is that a separate cabinet or actually part of the island. From the photos it looks like a separate piece to me. I would greatly appreciate it if you could maybe take a photo from that end. Thanks so much!!

Job well done!

• janefan
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I'm also planning on a white marble perimeter and darker island top (likely wood). I'll probably come back to your pictures again and again!!

I'd like to second the request for the island dimensions and I'd love to know what edge profile that is on your perimeter marble? Thanks!!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Perfecto! It must be a joy to be in, work in! Congratulations you did a lovely job! Another marble install - love it!

• roey736
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Could you also share your backsplash info? What color white is that, and where did you get it?

• trudy_atkins_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I have never heard of Milley Gray marble. Is it hard to find?

Thank you for sharing!

• jen4268
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I am just finishing mine now, and it is fun but a lot more nerve racking than I thought to see if all come together.

Yours is beautiful, and I am sure you will be asked for all of your details.

• neesie
    15 years ago

I'm jealous! What a beautiful kitchen, you are going to feel so happy every morning that you wake up and walk in there! I love so many things besides the gorgeous marble and tile. Your glass front and shelved cabinets are great and so is the pot filler. The kitchen hood is awesome, too! Please continue to post pictures and hint, hint, turn on your flash!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!! Love the pendant lights.

Is that a Danze faucet in the pantry? I've got the Danze opulence in chrome - it looks so nice in your home!!

• teddychicago
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! Congrats!

• lleet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are so kind! ItÂs so much fun to check in and hear your comments, after an irritating day at work!

IÂll take more pictures in the light tomorrow to show the lighting, overall kitchen, and island detail.

To answer some of the specific questions:

yolande_1951: the cabinets are painted BM Swiss Coffee OC-45. The hardware is from Home Depot Expo, but I think itÂs pretty common (i.e. not too expensive) Hickory Hardware. The faucet was my Âsave"  I loved the Rohl, but it was so expensive so I randomly found this one  its totally a no name brand, so I canÂt think of it, but IÂll look it up.

raenjapan: I purchased the pulls from Home Depot Expo, but I they can be found online as well: http://www.homedecorhardware.com/hickory-p3010-14.html (lots of other places too)

ravmd: The island is 47 inches wide (inclusive of the marble 1.5" overhang) by 11 feet 3 inches (the butcher bock part is 2ft, 1inch  although I love it now, the reason we went with the wood edge is because the slab was not long enough for the island). The bar is 7Â6" long, 22 inches wide, with a bump out sink of 24 inches. (Although I would change it if I could since the wine fridge doesnÂt really fit under a 22 inch counter. It sticks out, but thereÂs really nothing I can do about it now.)
    - I was worried about the space on both sides of the island, but they are fine.

raehelen  I had an inspiration picture which really helped me make decisions. A good friend of mine is an interior designer and I give her total credit for the layout.

malhgold  IÂm not totally sure what you are asking, but I will take close up picture for you. The island is one piece. The marble slab and wood are two different pieces.

janefan  Originally, I wanted a flat polished edge on the island, just like the perimeter cabinets. But, the marble we used for the island was 2cm instead of 3cm, like the perimeter, so I purposely made it more detailed so it wouldnÂt look like it was trying to match and so you would not see the seem. ItÂs and ogee edge attached to a flat edge. I was very unsure about it at the time, but no one would ever be able to tell. In general, I wish I would not have worried as much as I did about the little things. But even if someone would have told me that upfront, I doubt I would have listened.

roey736 Â The back splash is from Daltile: ItÂs Ahnzu 3x6 Artic Ice, Crackle AT112

Trudy  I had not heard of it either and really couldnÂt find much about it online. It just happened to be at the stone place our contractor recommended.

neesie  IÂll try it the flash  I never can tell which is the better way to photograph! IÂm kind of nervous to unpack  In general IÂm not that put together and just think I will mess up the kitchen! Although, it is a room to be enjoyed.

redroze  Yes, it is.

iris16 Â I donÂt have bar stools yet, but eventuallyÂ. There is a breakfast nook on the other side of the...

• starpooh
    15 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• spudderbud
    15 years ago

Very nice! I just love a white kitchen, yours has something special about it. I'm not sure what it is, maybe the marble you used on the island and your pulls that give it that extra zip. Can't wait to see more pics.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Love your island. It is so unique and the marble top adds so much.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

eye candy is the right description...and you'd make me a drunk if i got to play in that bar every time i wanted a drink :oP gorgeous!

• bikey
    15 years ago

A++ That is an outstanding kitchen. I love the island and the lights you chose. You should post it on HGTV's Rate My Space.

Jeff

• lleet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, new pictures. This time with a flash! :-)

This is a picture from further back, so hopefully it shows the overall scale. The kitchen, leads to the bar, which leads to the breakfast nook. It's originally to the house; we just added the banquette and will eventually add a table. I'm having a hard time bringing back in any of our old stuff.

Close up of breakfast nook...

A close up of the island where the marble and butcherblock meet...

Close up of the lights (with the plastic wrap still on. (he he)

Igloochic - I've followed your experience quite closely over the past few months. If you're ever in Texas, the bar is open for service.

Hopefully, I didn't miss any questions. The fridge comes tomorrow. YEA!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Can we please, pretty please see pics of the rest of your house? It is gorgeous. I love your breakfast room- those glass doors are breathtaking. and the full view of your kitchen, WOW!Sue

• dctl
    15 years ago

Love your lights!!! Do you mind sharing where you got them? Your kitchen is stunning!!!!!

• lleet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll add a link to the whole house, as soon as I get them uploaded.

The lights are from Horchow - Sausalito Pendant.

Just FYI, everything is on sale 20% off today. In general, they are always having sales, so if you ever see something you like, and can wait, it's worth holding off until a special offer comes up.

I just tried to find them horchow.com and couldn't - not sure if they are sold out or just not in inventory any longer.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Just lovely!!! Thanks for posting the island pic.

• bklyn2pok
    15 years ago

Absolutely lovely! Your kitchen feels timeless which is just wonderful for a vintage home. Thanks for posting pics.

• redroze
    15 years ago

If anyone has any doubt about mixing different hardware finishes they should just have a look at your stunning kitchen. I see oil-rubbed bronze bar faucet, chrome (or could be polished nickel) main faucet and hardware on white cabs, polished brass cup pulls on island, muted brass for pendant lights. And it all works beautifully together.

Congrats on your beautiful kitchen and home!!!

Oh, one question about your floors. What type of hardwood are they and could you share the stain brand and colour? We have red oak floors and are staining them a similar colours to yours. Thanks!

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

What kind of subway tile did you use, and how much were they, if you don't mind?

Thanks,
    Judy

• lleet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

redroze - Our floors are red oak. I'm not sure what the original stain was but we had them refinished and I really wanted them as dark as possible. We ended up using one coat of ebony and one coat of toffee. The floor people were NOT helpful and acted like they had never had a request for really dark floors. Oh well!

Yolande - The subway tile is from Daltile. It's a basic subway tile, with a crackle glaze in artic white. I don't know the exact cost, but it was reasonable.

• peemps
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is sooooooo pretty! Congratulations!

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

hi lleet - first of all congrats on your finished kitchen - it is stunning.

I'm on a hunt for white subway tile and love yours, but can't seem to find it anywhere (Ahnzu 3x6 Artic Ice, Crackle AT112)...could you confirm that's the name? I know it's daltile but there are so many and it's not matching up. thanks!

• lleet
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's a link to the product, incase that helps. You won't be able to tell anything by the website page, but maybe the info will help point you in the right direction.

This was the only crackle finish tile in stock from Daltile. They did have other options, but they would have been a special order.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway Tile

• beantownrenovator
    15 years ago

lleet - thanks so much, I'm on the hunt now...everyone else I found the daltile link too, which may be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: daltile folio one, t12

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely and I'll bet it "fits" your home to a T!