Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mama2kx6

Help! Soapstone slabs from quarry, installed, now water rings

mama2kx6
12 years ago

I'm re-posting this because I think it's just going to get lost in the "inexperienced soapstone fabricator woes" thread.

We just had soapstone slabs cut and installed last week by a highly skilled gentleman who usually fabricates and installs granite (among other things). We trusted him wholly even though he'd never done soapstone, and he did a fabulous job! We are doing a mostly DIY kitchen remodel (with lots of lurking here over the last few months for advice!) and purchased soapstone slabs straight from the Alberene Soapstone quarry in Schuyler, VA. What a deal that was! However, now that I've been actually using the kitchen for the last few days, I've got a few water rings and I'm concerned. Apparently I didn't do enough research because this never came up as an issue. In all my searching this site this morning, though, it seems it can be an issue for some, but from what I gather may have more to do with the way the top is finished?? I thought the way it came finished from the quarry was enough - "top-honed slabs". I already have put on 2 coats of Dorado Dry Wax and one of the rings still shows through. It's going to make me crazy if I can't just use these counters without worrying about them so much! Can anyone recommend someone in VA that can finish soapstone so that it doesn't have these water ring issues? Or tell me what I need to do? Or is Florida Joshua still around? Maybe he's making another tour up north and can stop by my house :) Thank you!

Comments (11)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I know there is a finishing protocol that best diminishes water rings. Florida Josh did my soapstone and it's a non issue for me. If I were you I'd contact him at Creative Soapstone. He does make his way up there periodically and you might get lucky.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

This is from an earlier thread (link below)

Posted by grannabelle (My Page) on Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 11:43
    as you may have seen on my posting of yesterday, FL Joshua also rescued my counter tops this week...
    here is what i consider an invaluable piece of advice that he gave me while he was here, having to do with water rings and the like (which in my case was the least of the probs with my stone)- perhaps many of you are aware of this, but i was not, and so i pass it on...i always oiled on top of the rings and spots in an attempt to have them blend in..with no success...Joshua explained that before oiling i have to scrub the ring or spot with dish soap and water to remove it...and then re-oil...otherwise, you are just sealing the mark under the oil...last night i saw two very small little spots (don't know from what) - followed Joshua's advice and two minutes later they were completely gone...

Here is a link that might be useful: Water rings on soapstone.....not anymore!

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

mam2kx6,

I hope you get satisfactory answers about the water rings and I'm hoping you can help me find contact info for the Alberene Quarry. Their website doesn't really have this and the only email that I could find appears to DOA. I've sent them a couple of messages and never heard a peep. If you have phone, email and/or contact info to share I would be v. grateful.

My project needs only fairly small slabs 18" X 30" and 30" X 27" and and I am hoping to get them from Alberene in person and haul them back to NY.

And, of course, I would love to see pics of your counter if/when you feel like sharing!

TIA,

L

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

FYI... M. Texiera is in New Jersey. May be another option for you.

• User
    12 years ago

I have soapstone from Alberene in my kitchen and kids bath and have sealed both with stone sealer and enhancer. I have no water ring problems and it stays dark without oil. Have had the ss in the kitchen for 2 years, sealed it twice back to back and then one more time about a year later.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I bought my stone from M.Texiera finished and ready to install. Dh and I did the install (only had four small seams). We sanded around the seam areas and have not noticed any particular problems with the areas we sanded compared to the rest of the surface.

I have no problem with water spots at all, and I've left stuff on it just to see if I could get them.

From my reading, there does seem to be a connection to over oiling/waxing and water spots. I don't recall reading of someone having spotting problems on un-oiled stone (not saying it won't happen, just have not read about it).

I like that my stone is constantly changing it's look, but I have Monsoon wave and it's a rather wild stone.

• jalsy6
    12 years ago

I freaked out the first few days after my ss was installed because I felt like the oil dissipated within a couple of days, and then I too had some marks and rings. I posted about it and someone (sorry, don't remember who!), used the phrase "behaving like new soapstone"...which ended up being really helpful in my case. I have minas, and within a couple weeks, the oil was really doing its thing and I wasn't noticing so much lifting in the form of rings. I keep an oiled rag in a ziploc, and I just hit spots as I need to (which really isn't often) if something creates a ring.

My fabricator also told me rings can be caused by too fine of a grit having been used - my counters are sanded to 80 grit. Not sure what other people's experiences have been around that, but I know there have been lots of discussions/suggestions here on GW.
    Good luck!

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

L - Did you ever get in touch with Alberene? If not, you might want to try responding to this craigslist ad. http://charlottesville.craigslist.org/mat/2458032251.html

We are thinking also thinking about using soapstone from Alberene.

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Deke,

I did finally find a number for Alberene (not just for dealer/fabricator). I had a nice chat and settled on Old Dominion, pending receipt of samples, for my project. Price was right because I need such small pieces and I will go and pick them up and do my own fab.

Thanks for the Craigslist link, that's the same price I was quoted - it works out to @$20, sq foot for the small slabs. Can't beat that! (Of course that's not sq ft installed, or with fab, but still it's a good price.)

The man I spoke with at Alberene was very easy to work with, I suspect the CL posting is the company outlet.

L

• jaharker
    4 years ago

I figured out the soapstone and rings issue and just happened upon this. did you ever get this resolved before I write more?