Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimstm_gw

Undermount sink allows for granite chipping???

kimstm
9 years ago

Hi,

Have any of you had trouble with the inside of the granite chipping if you have an undermount sink? We are planning on using a bullnose edge, but the sides facing into the sink will be straight. Do you have chips from pots and pans hitting the edges?

Thank you for your input.

Kim

Comments (26)

• weissman
    9 years ago

No - no problem

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Still nervous when using my new sink. Last night washing a long handled pan it "hit" the edge of the granite by the sink and held my breath, but all was ok. Assume it will withstand a lot but I think I will also be on pins and needles when washing large items and hoping to get more comfortable in the new surroundings.

I am also curious if banging it the wrong way will chip it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Kim:

Have your fabricator put a 1/2" radius profile on your sink edges. It will make chipping much less likely.

The eased or pencil edge on sink cut-outs is the worst. I have to grind the small ones out for customers constantly, the larger ones have to be filled.

• kimstm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebuchet--thank you. I will mention that to my fabricator.

Tinker1121--I am sure I will feel the same way. I ordered the big single blanco siligranit sink so I am hoping that gives me plenty of room for the bigger pots to be washed.

Weismann--good to know. :)

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

After 10 years, yes I do. I would show you a picture but my granite is dark so I don't know if the tiny chips would show up. My SIL was helping me clean up at Christmas and noticed them. I thought I was the only one that knew they were there. You can definitely feel them when you run your fingers over the edges.

So Trebruchet...will you post a picture so I can make sue I get it right in the new house please?

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Tried to get a pic. I have 3-4 big ones like this and some smaller ones. They don't bother me that much. They might be more noticeable on lighter granite. I'm not reckless but I don't baby my kitchen.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Here is a my granite/sink during installation. Hopefully you can see the radius edge done on the sink opening.

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

I followed Trebuchet's advice and asked for a rounder edge on the inside of all my sinks. The fabricator called it a 'heavy pencil'. It is not a super noticeable difference but enough to help I think with chipping compared to an eased edge.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"So Trebruchet...will you post a picture so I can make sue I get it right in the new house please?

red_lover:

Looks like PhoneLady took care of it for me. Thanks.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Yes, thank you. That looks very nice. Softer than my edge too. I can see why it might not chip as easily.

• Disaster28
    9 years ago

Would a beveled edge serve the same purpose or is it the angles that are prone to chipping?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Would a beveled edge serve the same purpose or is it the angles that are prone to chipping?"

Disaster28:

If a rounded edge has a chip, I may be able to blend it in. That would be much more difficult with a beveled edge.

• Disaster28
    9 years ago

Trebruchet ---> Thanks for that input. I will have to keep that in mind when I have my counter installed.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

So it's not the likelihood of it chipping. It's the fact that the softer profile can be repaired and blended in more easily. Duh. I get it now.

Thanks Tre.

• kimstm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the pictures and input.

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

PhoneLady - Love that sink. What kind of material is that?

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

I asked my fabricator about chipping. He encouraged me to go with "eased edge" which is not as rounded as the "radius" edge. He thinks eased edge is more modern and fits my kitchen better. He said if mine chips, he'll just come back out and mix and apply some epoxy to the chip and no one will notice the difference. I took him at his word. Hope things go okay.

My countertops are scheduled for Thursday or maybe Friday if schedule conflicts elsewhere. Crossing fingers.

To make me worry more, I got white silgranite because of a screwup at the last minute of my order and I didn't have time to think. Oh well --read some good reviews of white here on GW so hopefully things will work out. If not, since we are using "sink setters", I'll have the white pulled out and replaced with gray. Supposed to be fairly easy if you use sink setters. Right?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Caesarstone, 2-1/2 years old. Eased edge with a slight positive reveal around my undermount sink. The edges are minimally rounded, i.e., not a knife-sharp edge. No chips anywhere on the counter.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" If not, since we are using "sink setters", I'll have the white pulled out and replaced with gray. Supposed to be fairly easy if you use sink setters. Right?"

elpahba:

Sorry. Sink setters are installed before the tops and would probably be destroyed in the removal necessary for the removal of a sink. Use a Hercules Universal Sink Harness which makes changing a sink simple and saves money over the cost of the Sink Setters.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"He said if mine chips, he'll just come back out and mix and apply some epoxy to the chip and no one will notice the difference."

elphaba:

Tell him you'd rather pay him now than pay him later. Insist, please.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Not sure if I've already commented, but ditto what linelle said.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Sunnyh - my sink is Blanco silgranit Cascade Precis in cinder.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Trebruchet - "Tell him you'd rather pay him now than pay him later. Insist, please."

Are you saying radius is better than the "eased edge" re: chipping or blending in later?

I'm a month out, trying to get all my notes together.

Loving PhoneLady's sink! Mine will be super single, not cascade precis, but it'll be cinder. I waffled between the two. They're both so nice!

• elphaba_gw
    9 years ago

re: Trebruchet

If anyone is like me and has bought Sink Setters for use in installing their undermount sinks, after some info here, I contacted them this morning and they explained that their old model used to have problems being switched out. The new model has a plate that attaches to the side of the cabinet and the horizontal (or in the case of smaller sinks, vertial) bars slip over the horizontal plate (or vertical plate). Sink setter hardware can easily be swapped out at later time if you want to swap out your sink. I checked our temporary sink which is currently using the big sink setter. Once the screws are unscrewed, the sink should slip out. I was worried that the sink setter I'm currently using for the temporary sink can't be re-used for the permanent one coming in tomorrow. Doesn't look like that is the case. I have no affiliation with the Sink Setter company other than as a customer. Hopefully after tomorrow, I'll be a VERY satisfied customer if re-use turns out as easy as they say. Wanted to report here in case there are others with this "issue". I'll report again after installation tomorrow. Crossing fingers.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

elphaba:

Thanks for the information. Hopefully they'll edit their installation video and eliminate demonstrating screwing the SinkSetter to cabinet tops before top installation.