Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

Should I put a cabinet over the window

weedyacres
9 years ago

We're building our kitchen as we go and I have been back here a few times for specific advice. I finally got all the uppers built and installed on one side of the galley.

My question: Should I put a cabinet over the window? it wasn't in my original design because the others are 18" tall and a cabinet over the window would only be 15" tall. And I'm not sure how accessible/useful it would be anyway. Width is 39".

For context, this is a small 1920 worker's cottage. Bought for a song, worth $60K when we finish with it.

Comments (12)

• Fori
    9 years ago

Maybe, or a cutesie valance with scallops. That's assuming you're sticking with the vintage theme. It should have something there!

I'm not sure if the 15" would work--are you sure (of course you're sure!) you can't do an 18" there without blocking more than window trim?

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I wouldn't. If you can, wait until the end. You might want to just put a shelf up there for display, you might put a clock up there or a picture.. If that's your prep area you might wind up putting a light there. I would wait.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Not a cabinet. Possibly an open shelf? Or How about a window treatment that fills in the space......and call it day? I would think a window treatment mounted above your window and covers the sides would fill in the space nicely. Pardon my current lack of backsplash. That's ANOTHER thread. :)

• deedles
    9 years ago

I wouldn't. Actually, I didn't and my wall/window is very much like yours... cabs tight to the window. Really glad to have that 'breathing space' for a little wall art.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Great looking kitchen.
    I wouldn't put in a cabinet above the window. You will have fun "prepping" and looking out the window! I think it would make you feel boxed in.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

it may look "naked" now, but once it's done, it'll be great not to feel all boxed in.
    I assume the reason why the sink isn't under the window is so that there's some prep and landing space next to the range.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I have cabinets to the ceiling and left the spot over the window open but took the crown around my cabinets and across the wall space -- finished the whole thing off, and I like the way it worked. Agree with the above comment that it make look naked now but will look finished when you have trim up. A valance or wall hanging can always be added and give some personality or color.

• weedyacres
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I'll wait. It's easy enough to add something later if I change my mind.

The sink isn't in front of the window because of an earlier layout thread where you guys convinced me not to have the range on the opposite wall, but instead to put it on this one, with prep area in between sink and range. I enjoy the view while prepping, and it's efficient to move between sink, prep and stove. (Note: the view is not usually blocked by an A/C unit; we're currently waiting for a new A coil for our central air unit.)

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

It looks like when the doors are on, any doors you might put on the cab over the window will not be even with the upper doors to left and right. They will be off just enough to not-quite-match which is kind of more noticeable than being off by a lot. Sorry, not explaining it well. But sometimes the eye wants to travel along a straight, horizontal line.

You do have two doors on the left cab and two doors on that slender right cab, yes? Or am I misunderstanding? That being the case, I might just cut a wide valance board to match the depth of the upper cabinet doors, staple on some quilt padding and finish with a pretty fabric to span the gap.

Can't wait to see the kitchen finished. It's really cute.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I had the same question, and it was my electrician who suggested that a cabinet above the window would close things in too much. And since I already had a light fixture there, I would lose any storage space I might gain in the cabinet to a can light.

I'm happy with the way mine turned out.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I find a cabinet over the window (or valence, although I love the look of valences!), kind of darkens things up because light coming in the window doesn't get a chance to bounce off the ceiling. So for that reason I would leave it open and put art or something up there.