Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seriousmom

Need help with kitchen for a cottage look at the beach

seriousmom
14 years ago

We are permanently moving into our vacation home at the beach. I was happy just to make a few minor changes and move right in. Then my husband suggested putting in a 9 foot window in the kitchen to have a view of the water!

I now have to pick the window style, new cabinets, the countertops, new appliances and paint for the walls.

Would you put a 9 foot bay window in a kitchen? My kitchen guy says it will be over-kill and my contractor says it would look great, that the kitchen guy just wants to sell me more wall cabinets.

Doing so would mean my stove would go in the peninsula. Do you have any experience with down-draft ovens? What brand should I look at? I currently have an all-gas Wolf range that I absolutely love but I won't be able to spend that much on a stove again.

What cabinets and countertops would you recommend for a cottage look? I was planning on getting white "Cape Cod - type" looking furniture for the dining area in the same room. Would white cabinets be too much white? The rest of the Great Room has peach and soft shades of gray and green on the fireplace and on the sofa. What do you suggest for countertops and backsplash to add color? I also will need paint color for the walls. There are wood floors throughout that are light oak.

I'm sorry for all the questions. I am overwhelmed and so tired from the sale of this house that I can't even get excited about a new project.

Thank you very much.

Comments (35)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Would you put a 9 foot bay window in a kitchen?

Sure, why not, if you have the space? I once had an ocean view from my kitchen and I loved, loved, loved it. This isn't my house but here's an example:

{{!gwi}}

• lesmis
    14 years ago

"Would you put a 9 foot bay window in a kitchen?" Heck yes...I actually did put in a 9 foot window! :) I just wish I had taken it all the way down to my countertops like so many other wise people on here have done! I also don't think it will be too much white, but then I like a lot of white.

Enjoy your new home!

P.S. Writers block I want that lovely seafood tray from the picture...wonder who makes it?!

Kat :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

> I want that lovely seafood tray from the picture...wonder who makes it?!

I don't know but I looked at the list of tchotchke (this is a designer show house) and they got it at HomeGoods, along with all the stuff on that counter run.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Wow, really? Thanks so much for the info!

• americancolleen
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh yes! Why have a house on the water and not have the hugest view you can??

If you make up your mind to do white cabinets (I love them in a house on the beach, so clean and crisp yet homey in a beachhouse) today while I was in Marble & Granite in Westwood, a woman bought 4 huge slabs of Azul Cielo marble for her house on the beach with white cabinets. I cannot imagine how beautiful it's going to be - that marble is incredible. I was in total envy :-)

Good luck, please post pics and please go for the biggest window you can :-)

• morton5
    14 years ago

I'm all for the 9 ft. window since you will have a wonderful view.

I'd stay away from the downdraft range, though, and try to reconcile myself to an island hood. I think the least obtrusive ones are fairly modern-looking, though, with a glass canopy. How would you feel about cottage with a modern twist? I guess I'd want to see the whole layout, to see if the hood would obscure the view from elsewhere in the room.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I would design my entire home around a view of the ocean... make any concessions necessary and go for it! You could go for an earthy wood like hickory or alder and still achieve the cottage look if you think it would be too much white. Can't you reuse the range (Wolf) you have that you love? I also second the vote for an island hood. Could you post pics or a layout?

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

I would absolutely do the big window. I agree with everyone else re: maximizing your view.

I'm biased b/c I love white cabinets - but I think white cabinets in a beach house are a must. With chrome or SS hardware. :-)

I'm also biased towards soapstone - but if i had an ocean view I'd probably do a lighter granite or marble - keep it LIGHT. And put those white starfish in your window. ;-)

• dawn_t
    14 years ago

Another vote for the large kitchen window - a view overlooking the water sounds wonderful!
    I deeply regret letting my DH talk me out of a larger kitchen window, when we built.

Lesmis - I saw that crab tray on eBay while looking for serving platters yesterday.

• zoey_neohio
    14 years ago

I agree with the others that a large window especially down flush to the cabinets if possible with white cabinets and light countertops will look amazing.

But in your original post you asked about a 9 ft BAY window. I think the straight windows above would be a better look.

Have fun with this and don't rush into anything too soon.

• la_koala
    14 years ago

Personally, I would do the window. I am in the process of working out a layout that adds two more windows to get a "corner window" effect to gain a view of a river.

One thing that I thought through was whether I would miss the storage of the two wall cabinets that are currently in the corner where I'm putting the new windows. I looked at what I keep there and found that I don't even use that stuff much and could move most of it to other cabinets. So, that's one thing that you should think about--if/when you lost the existing wall cabinets, how will you compensate?

And one comment about the kitchen guy and wall cabinets: I had a design-build guy that I met at a home show come out to take a look at my kitchen and give his spiel. When I told him that I was putting in two more windows, his exact words were "Oh, you're not leaving me much room for cabinets here". (!!!!) I thought "dude, who is this kitchen for anyway?" :-) I can readily believe that those KDs that make money on the cabinet mark-up would be motivated to *not* lose space for wall cabinets.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I vote for the beautiful large window with sunny ocean views.
    A Delicious dream with a martini and French pastry hors d'Âuvre.

• kassiebcb
    14 years ago

LOVE the idea for the bay window.
    With all of that water- you should do an 'ocean' theme in your kitchen. Light colors- blues/greens and add some light stone tile- instead of paint... with white bronze accent tiles and cabinet hardware and switch/outlet covers. Check out www.bearcreekbronze.com for the hand-crafted solid-cast metal accents. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bear Creek Bronze

• fran1523
    14 years ago

Definitely go for the 9 foot window. I think the cabinets should be painted, but not necessarily white. Bead board would be nice too. Is there any way you can keep the Wolf range or move it from where you are currently living? I would design around the window and the range.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Lesmis - I saw that crab tray on eBay while looking for serving platters yesterday.

Yes, now that I think about it, the one in the photo is Arthur Court, but it did come from HomeGoods--our local store had a stack of them back in Feb or March.

• sue36
    14 years ago

The window sounds nice, but whether I would want to do it would depend on the kitchen layout I would end up with. I would not want a layout that would result in the range on an island, peninsula, or any layout where I couldn't have a vent over it. But that's *me*. That layout might work for you.

• growlery
    14 years ago

The whole point of having a house anywhere the water is to have a view of the water.

I don't know what state you live in (not prying, you can keep that information to yourself!) and if you may want to look into wind/hurricane safety features for such a large window, or thermal issues, but I cannot imagine that a future buyer would ever walk into a house near the water and wish they had made a water view kitchen window smaller.

(In fact, a friend bought a very expensive house near the water several years ago that was stupidly designed with few windows on the water side. So the had to, at great FURTHER expense, have them put in. Stupid builder. It was NOT a safety/eco issue.)

Decor should be in keeping with your tastes and the house's character, but I think too-fussy/overdecorated beach houses defeat the purpose. They should be easy, low maintenance, breathable. Sweepable.

One more consideration: Don't fix on 9 feet. Look at the space inside. Go outside and look at the effect it will have on the exterior. Be honest. Does it look OK? Maybe a smaller window is enough. Or a different style. Don't just slam the biggest piece of glass you can onto the side of the house and call it a success. That would look like a big blank hole, architecturally; a gaping, toothless mouth. Be kind to the overall design.

Enjoy your new home!

• dlspellman
    14 years ago

I'd do the large window, too, for sure...but, rather than a bay, how about one with a deep windowsill at counter height. I have a friend who had her builder build out her wall by 2" or so, that she could get a 4" deep windowsill for herbs, etc. It's perfect.

I see white cabinets with a backsplash of 1" mosaic or mini-subway tiles in glass in the colors of blues, greens, whites and aquas - just like the glass on the beach and the color of the ocean! Counter top in a warm sand colored granite or quartz. Flooring also in a warm colored sand tone (wood, cork, tile, limestone, travertine).

Look at induction for a cooktop since it will be on an island - it's as responsive as gas cooking, but no risk of burning anything that accidently ends up on the cooktop (even seconds after cooking), doesn't heat up the kitchen, and a breeze to clean up! Perfect for the beach...perfect for island cooking.

I'd stay away from any hood that impedes views, etc. I know it may not be optimal - but I think for your situation a pop up vent might be vest.

Have fun with your project and be sure to post the after photos!

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Would I put in a 9 ft window with a view to the ocean? If the space can take it, YES!

We reconfigured a kitchen and bath to squeeze another window in the kitchen (our windows are about 10 feet long in total, and our view is only a tree).

Our experience: everyone tried to talk us out of it citing the loss of cabinet space. We would do it again in a second! Not only does the window make the room feel larger, but it makes the space a fabulous place to be. A lot of the time, we open the windows for ventilation (instead of using the hood), so I wouldn't let the downdraft issue be that big a concern (unless you plan to grill indoors on a regular basis).

In terms of colors and styles, realize it is the view that will be the star of the show and keep it simple. A light colored painted wood (or a natural wood with a pickled finish) on shaker style or beadboard pannelled cabinets is what comes to mind. Maybe some tumbled glass tiles picking up the cool greys and blues as an accent.

Really, how can you go wrong?

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread...but thank you Dawn for the link to the tray on ebay.

Seriousmom here is a pic of our window which overlooks the water. We did a box bay so that we would have an extra deep sill (10 inches) which I love! If you do box yours out, remember that trying to lean over the cabinets to open them can be a challenge so you may want to consider doing casements like we did. I think if the reach isn't too far and they come farther down on the counter it makes it easier to use double hung windows. If you want me to post a pic of the exterior I can do that as well.

We enlarged windows to take advantage of the views wherever we could but we did try to make sure they also looked nice from the exterior. But after paying what you pay in taxes and just buying on the water I was darn sure gonna get my money's worth by being able to see the water every chance I got! If I could have made it an all glass house I would have! ;)

We enlarged the kitchen and the family room/breakfast area windows. Ignore the blue tape, this was taken before we installed the hardware.

• seriousmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, what great responses. I'm thrilled to have found this site. I love the suggestions for green and blue glass tiles for a backsplash. With white cabinets I think the effect would be amazing. In addition to giving me great ideas, you have stirred some excitement in me that I haven't felt before.
    Unfortunately I can't take the Wolf range out of this house now that it's been sold. I really was not going to change my new kitchen so I didn't think of it soon enough. I am going to check all the links you kindly gave me, and the pictures are all such great inspiration.
    As for a hood above the range in the peninsula, that won't work since the ceilings are cathedral. But has anyone ever seen a range and hood in the corner of the kitchen? I saw a photo of one recently. I am going to post this question in a new thread. I would really love some thoughts on that idea. The down-draft range in the peninsula is not really what I want after I have slept on it.
    Again, thanks so much!

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

When you post your new thread be sure to include a layout of the existing space. A whole house layout would be really helpful... at least in regard to how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house and the outside. OH... and some info on family, how many cooks, and traffic patterns. Sorry... you're going to be asked eventually anyway so I thought I'd give you a head start!

• fleur222
    14 years ago

Another hijack..my apology, but lesmis your kitchen is beautiful. May I ask about the lighting over the island? They are great!

• la_koala
    14 years ago

Kat, I'm curious about your window over the sink. Is that the "box bay"?

I'd like to try something similar in my layout. Who's the manufacturer? What are the dimensions?

Do you have an outside pic of that window that you can share?

• seriousmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remodelfia, I will take some photos of the Great Room this week-end. Posting them will be another challenge but I'll cross that bridge next week.
    You are right. It's is hard to give advice without the whole picture.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

• rubyfig
    14 years ago

Sorry, not a hijack...but Kat, oh my, your kitchen is fabulous!

• megsy
    14 years ago

I'd absolutely do a huge window. The biggest window possible, in fact. And I agree with a previous poster who said making any concessions necessary to get it done. I'm so envious!

As for color, Benjamin Moore makes a color called "Castle Walls" that I think is to die for. A friend of mine put it in her kitchen at 50% pigment and it's so wonderfully beachy I nearly put it in mine as well. (Our house is in Houston which is not known for encasements between doorways so one color is used in the majority of the house; we opted for something more neutral than a blue).

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

wow I'm green with envy to have a beach house to decorate! I agree with all the others that white cabinets with bead board, and granite or quartz that has some light green, aqua, or coral would be awesome! Let me know if ya need someone to help work on your new kitchen :)

PS anyone else getting tired of "kassiebcb" and her SPAM???

• seriousmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Let me give some more details to help you visualize the room.
    The kitchen is part of the Great Room. It looks out over the yard and the ocean beyond. The main wall of the kitchen is just over 17 feet. On one end of the wall will go a 6 foot French doors which go to a large deck. 11 feet remain for the appliances on the other side.
    The only other kitchen wall is 8 feet long. And that will have the 3 foot refrigerator cabinet, the 3 foot corner cabinet and 2 feet remain between the two.

Now my husband is asking me to avoid a peninsula or an island. He really feels it will take away from the open, airy feel of the room.
    So this is the problem:
    The upper corner cabinet on the main wall will measure 2 ft. The stove and sink will be 30 inches. The DW is 24 inches. I don't know how to arrange these on the wall. I would like to put in a 7 or even 8 foot Bay Window.

I will have the bottom of the window start at the counter and the stone countertop will also extend into the window sill area.
    What do I do with the stove?
    Separating the oven from the cook-top doesn't seem to be much help.
    I apologize in advance for the repetition of this post on another thread. The problem flowed from one into the other.
    Thank you very much for your help and your patience.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

A drawing would help a lot more, seriousmom, or better yet, some photos.

• forgottensong
    14 years ago

lesmis,

fleur222 asked about the mini pendant lights above the
    island. I think they are beautiful also. Who manufactures
    them? I am currently looking for lights for a kitchen remodel. Kraftmaid had some wonderful mini pendants in one of their design books. I called the company to find out the manufacturer but they purged their computers and the information is no longer available. Every facet of kitchen remodel takes so much time. We finally found hardware from Berenson. They sent me samples of drawer pulls, sash handles and knobs and I love them!

• lesmis
    14 years ago

Seriousmom I can't wait to see pics when you post them! I'm sorry for the thread hijack! I have started a new thread to answer the questions asked about my lights and windows so that it won't mess up your post!

• lovlilynne
    14 years ago

We rented a beach house that had a picture window in the combined kitchen/dr area. We had to wear sunglasses at the table because of the morning light would shine directly in the window and blind you. It was beautiful to look out on the ocean, and it seemed a shame that you would have to cover it up with shades or curtains, but you had to in the morning due to the light issue. Just another data point.

• stiles
    14 years ago

Seriousmom, You could consider still having a hood over your wolf if you put it on the window. There are some contemporary hoods with a lot of glass that would be less obtrusive.

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Here's a crazy idea... what if you were to do 3 windows placed together. The middle one would be shorter... and still to the counter. How high are your ceilings? If I presume 8' say the middle window was 41Hx36W? The flanking windows would be all the way up or whatever size you planned on. You'd have room above it for a vent hood. It would be higher then the recommended height above the stove but you could circumvent that by having a little more power. Not optimal, but may be better then a downdraft.

Like I said, it's a crazy idea and it's very late!