Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lry511

Anyone have honey onyx in backsplash?

Lori Ryan
12 years ago

The cabinets are in, the granite arrives tomorrow. Yeah! Now we have turned our attention to the backsplash. Our granite is New Venetian which has a lot going on so I am looking for a simple backsplash. Crackled subway in white with a white picture frame aver the range. I would like to fill the frame with tumbled honey onyx. I am apprehensive because it needs to be sealed first and will it stain? I am Italian, if it doesn't start with olive oil or tomato sauce it is not recipe. Does anyone have onyx in their backsplash and how has it faired?

Comments (21)

• lowspark
    12 years ago

Check out femmelady's pix in the fkb. It's been several years since she did her kitchen but it was one of my favorites. I watched her progress at about the same time as I was doing my kitchen. I love her honey onyx and figure one of these days I will use it in my bathroom.

I don't know how well it has held up. You can try to contact her. I do remember that both she and her husband were cooks, so if you can get a hold of her, she should be a good person to ask!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I think I found the kitchen. Go to the "backsplash idea for cosmic black granite. Calimama post a link to show me your mini brink. Linda Z has an onyx mini brick. HTH

• ellendi
    12 years ago

Bumping up

• bmka
    12 years ago

You do realize that you will need to seal the crackle tiles as well!?

• Lori Ryan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I realize I need to seal everything. Thanks your help!

• doonie
    12 years ago

I have had some honey onyx accent tile in my over the stove backsplash for over a year now. I've also got lots of grout. I sealed it all to begin with and I cook all my grease splattering stuff on the front 3 burners. It's held up well thus far.

• marcy96
    12 years ago

I have some behind my range. It's sealed and it cleans up easily.

{{!gwi}}

• Lori Ryan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Doonie! I love your backsplash! I have a picture of it off the Brittany and Coggs site. Is itndifficult to seal the tile and grout? I sealed my bathroom grout but not the tile and I do not like how it came out. I am apprehensive of the onyx but I am glad to hear you have had no problems.

• misplacedtxgal
    12 years ago

I have white onyx, not honey. As long as you understand that onyx looks very different once sealed and grouted then I say go for it. I've had not problems with staining etc. and I prep right by mine. Best of luck!

• natal
    12 years ago

Lowspark, Lorie's was one of my all-time favorite kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lorie's kitchen with onyx backsplash

• lowspark
    12 years ago

Natal,
    She was in the midst of her remodel when I was in my late planning stages. I was once describing her kitchen to a friend and the friend commented that it seemed as though I'd actually been IN the kitchen as opposed to just seeing pictures of it. I really did follow her remodel closely. LOL

And I loved that honey onyx. It wouldn't have worked at all in my kitchen but I've kept a secret hope to be able to use it in a bathroom when I remodel at some point in the (hopefully not TOO distant) future.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I wish I had this onyx backsplash. It is beautiful.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Gold antique would compliment honey onyx. Or what about...honey onyx countertop?

Here is a link that might be useful: gold antique

• rococogurl
    12 years ago

This classic GW kitchen has a wonderful onyx backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry & Onyx

• ptamom
    12 years ago

Sorry, I misread you post:)

• islandgirl12
    12 years ago

I think its so pretty but i would be afraid. my best friend though put ceramic bricks everywhere and did a beautiful honey only design behind her stove. she also cooks a lot. She said its holding up well but you have to seal it often, she does it like every 9-10 months. It is really gorgeous though.

• satsynana
    12 years ago

We will let you know soon! We have honey onyx tiles for our backsplash and can hardly wait for the reclaimed oak floors then painting to be finished so appliances can go in! The cooking will begin in earnest! We think the honey onyx is delicious looking and may even help improve the food I cook!!!

• cplover
    12 years ago

Boxerpups- I am completely in love with that second photo of onyx subway tile you posted. Do you know what the name of the tile is? Or a source to find it? Or even where you found the photo?

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Check out one of constantinople's kitchens. She's paired honey creme onyx with walnut cabinetry. It's lovely. I don't think she's moved into her new house yet.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• spaceman210
    9 years ago

I just got some 3x6 honey onyx for my backsplash. I have seen a few sites saying the stone is so brittle that a 1/4-in cement backer board should be used for wall installation. Did anyone have cracking problems if this wasn't used? (I have standard drywall.) Thanks

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Also curious on how onyx installed. I was told it had to be a mud job.