Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phronesis_gw

A potentially new soapstone question

Phronesis
10 years ago

So, I've been planning on soapstone and my designer (because I don't trust my own judgment) suggested today that instead of doing everything soapstone, that I do the island and bar area in granite (black absolute).

It's a relatively small space (the kitchen is 11x14 and will have a 2x4 island in the middle with a 'bar' that looks, from the dining area, into the kitchen). Initially, the plan was to have counters on 3 walls of kitchen be soapstone, with counters in the 8x8 laundry room/pantry also be soapstone (there'll be very little counterspace) and then the island and the bar soapstone.

The rationale behind using granite for the island and bar is that this will break things up a bit and prevent the soapstone from overwhelming. This makes sense to me.

However, I'm not a big fan of granite. It isn't that I loathe it, but it's just not something that I've considered in all of my planning.

I'm wondering if (a) it'd look stupid to, say, oil island & bar, but not the counters and (b) if I, say, spill oil on the counters, this would commit me to oiling them.

Obviously, what I'd like to do is go with all soapstone and go with (a) but if this is either going to look stupid or end up being something I'll quickly abandon, then I should probably go with the granite. I agree that the granite will create a distinction and make the soapstone stand out more, I'm just wondering if it's the only/best way to do it.

Thoughts?

Comments (23)

• catbuilder
    10 years ago

Absolute black granite will not be much of a distinction from the soapstone. If you want variety, then choose something that will actually contrast with and complement the soapstone. I have all soapstone counters, including the island. I oil/wax the perimeter and have left the island natural. After four years, there's virtually no difference between the two.

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I will be the "Dissenter"!
    (No disrespect intended, just another "Point of View).

I was on my way to a car show last Saturday. I passed a Honda and Acura dealer on the way. Every car was black white or gray in the lot, both used and new.

Mother Natures gave us "Cones" for color vision, something She was not so "Generous" with, as far as the other animals go.

I hope you enjoy your soapstone and black granite, and most likely white painted cabinets. You will have lost of company, just listen for the "bleating sounds", and while you're at it, SAy Highya to Bo Peep, (I don't see her much as I'm a leader, not a follower)!

Gary

• dodge59
    10 years ago

I should have type. You will have Lots of company.

Gary

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, they're cherry cabinets and I'm likely going to go with a multicolored backsplash.

If I had the money, I'd go with some recycled glass or something along those lines, but I don't.

What I'm hearing is that whether I go with the black granite or not, it's going to look fairly similar. What are some other materials/colors that might work to add some variety? Like I said, I'm working with a designer because I don't trust my own sense (I know that I'm easily swayed by what I see and what I see is what's popular). I'm certainly open to other ideas.

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, they're cherry cabinets and I'm likely going to go with a multicolored backsplash.

If I had the money, I'd go with some recycled glass or something along those lines, but I don't.

What I'm hearing is that whether I go with the black granite or not, it's going to look fairly similar. What are some other materials/colors that might work to add some variety? Like I said, I'm working with a designer because I don't trust my own sense (I know that I'm easily swayed by what I see and what I see is what's popular). I'm certainly open to other ideas.

• sundownr
    10 years ago

I agree with catbuilder. Soapstone and black granite will be very similar and I don't think they would compliment each other. Either do all soapstone or use different colors.

I don't particularly like granite either so I chose soapstone for the big island (6x8, I think) and my husband wanted stainless steel on the perimeter counter tops. We have two small cabinets between the kitchen and dining room and used marble on those.

• leela4
    10 years ago

I guess I'm a little confused about wanting to ''break up'' the soapstone. Why would/should it be overwhelming to have it in all the areas you have mentioned? One of the reasons I love our soapstone so much (so yes, I'm biased) is that it is so interesting. Even after 3 years I still see things that look new to me.

Our soapstone is unoiled; we have it on the perimeter and the island. We have a bar area that is natural cherry, like our cabinets are. We have thought about oiling the island and leaving the perimeter unoiled, just for a change, but we really like it the way it is.

• rosylady
    10 years ago

I think your designer is wrong. Breaking up the soapstone with another black stone is...well...strange.

It would look like you ran out of soapstone.

If you love soapstone (so do I) and have always planned to use it in your entire kitchen, then you should. Sounds like your designer doesn't "get" the soapstone look.

• artemis78
    10 years ago

We did wood with soapstone, and really like that combo. I also think marble (or a white granite/quartz) would be lovely too. I do find it helpful to have multiple materials for several reasons:

- Love our soapstone for its heat and stain resistance, but it scratches/chips horribly. It's very helpful to have an alternate option for tasks where we don't need the soapstone benefits and there is a damage potential. (Not sure if marble would really serve that purpose, but surprisingly the wood is great for it.)

- I do like having some aesthetic contrast--all soapstone on multiple walls an an island is a lot of soapstone!

- It saved money in our case to use an alternate material.

I agree that the black granite will look too much like (but not exactly the same as) the soapstone--I wouldn't mix them.

• sas95
    10 years ago

You say you are doing a multicolored backsplash. What does that look like? That could add enough "variety" in a relatively small kitchen. I think all soapstone will probably look just fine.

• gbsim1
    10 years ago

I agree with rosylady... Combining the two similar stones will look like to you're trying to match but failing.
    If you feel that a different stone is necessary I'd go truly different such as wood or marble. But then you might cringe with every drop of red wine spilled or lemon wedge left on the bar. :(
    I've got quarter sawn oak cabs and all soapstone with a green slightly patterned backsplash. If I ever get the tile guys back to finish the job, I'll have a different backsplash on the bar. Maybe the backsplash of the bar would also be a better place for you to make a distinction.

• remodelfla
    10 years ago

If you want all soapstone, then that is what you should get. You can vary the look by doing the island in a different color/stain or as suggested, vary the backsplash material.

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, the marble is beautiful. I don't know, however, that I'd be able to afford it.

Thank you all for your thoughts; they are immensely helpful.

I'm headed, with my GC, today to visit the fabricators' location to see what remnants they have (the sizes needed for island and bar could be taken care of with remnants). So, we'll see if any strike me as complementary to the soapstone. If not, I'll stick with the all soapstone because part of the reason I like the soapstone so much is the *feel* of it, not just the look.

Again, thanks so much for your thoughtful replies.

• Maura Kortlang
    10 years ago

I am putting soapstone on the perimeter and reclaimed wood (wormy chestnut) on the island. Nothing is installed yet, drywall is just going up on down-to-studs reno.

• Mistman
    10 years ago

We've got soapstone on 2 perimeters and green marble on the other perimeter and the island. I did it to add some color and another unique stone in the kitchen. My range and hood are green also. I have soapstone in the utility room, great stuff!

• msl511
    10 years ago

I agree with everyone else. Soapstone and Absolute Black are going to look weird. All soapstone would look great, as would something that clearly contrasts such as wood or something very light.

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would soapstone accented by 'brown graphite" on the island look weird?

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• Phronesis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Personally, I think any stone other than white marble would clash with Soapstone. For my complimenting contrast, I used Mesquite on my upper counters above the Soapstone counter and backsplash. Both have similar natural wild graining/veining and characteristics, but any wood goes well with Soapstone!

• julieste
    10 years ago

We've had soapstone and carrara marble for a couple month snow. I like the combo and the way they complement each other. FYI--the marble was cheaper than the soapstone.

• julieste
    10 years ago

We've had soapstone and honed carrara marble for a couple months now. I like the combo and the way they complement each other. FYI--the marble was cheaper than the soapstone.

I agree with the others; either stick with all soapstone or get a different stone that provides a contrast.