Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another setback...paint finish on doors!

Posted by rkb21 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 21:26

I really thought that all of the delays, mishaps, issues, etc were behind me. I'm just tired and worn out.

The contractors installed the doors yesterday and I was so happy to finally see the kitchen coming together. Then, I noticed a problem with the paint finish on the panel edges. It's just one side and after checking them more closely, the finish is rough and lacking in paint on many of them. The rest of the doors look great. It's just the panel edges and just one side of the door...not both.

The cabinet guy uses a great product and it's a post catalytic varnish. It looks almost like one edge on many of them just didn't get sprayed and sanded well.

I showed it to the contractor and he agreed that it isn't acceptable. He scheduled a meeting with him on Thursday. I'm really hoping that it goes well. I have a feeling he's going to have to take the doors back to the shop. Ugh!!!! Another delay!

I'm worried that if he resprays them, there will be an issue with the finish. Here's hoping it all works out.

Here's a picture of the bad edge:
Untitled

Here's a good edge:

Thanks for reading...just nice to vent sometimes about the setbacks to people who understand what it's like!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another setback...paint finish on doors!

Definitely doesn't look the same, I hope it goes well with the cabinet maker, he should be able to make it right.

o

In professional painter's slang, that's called a "holiday".

(Does not come with cool drinks by the pool and a cute lifeguard, however.)

It needs to be fixed, without a doubt. I expect you'll have not trouble getting that done.

L.

o

Worse news. That's one of the crappiest mitered seams that I've seen in a long time. What's the joinery method? If it's as sloppy as the front side, then you'll have huge gaps before too long. The raised panel edges aren't up to par either. And that's just what I can see in these few photos. It's not just the paint that's an issue. This guy doesn't know what he's doing, period.

o

Hugs RK! How frustrating for you. It seems like it is hard to find people who take pride in their work. I am glad your contractor is on this. Praying for a good outcome!

o

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!I really hope it gets worked out :)

Hollysprings: wow...I wish I knew how to answer your questions about the doors. I don't know what a joinery method is. Is there something I could take a picture of to help answer it? What can I specifically ask him about or point out at the meeting with him? Sorry, I just don't know the lingo, but if there specific things, I would love to know before we meet with him. I appreciate your help and your feedback! Any further info would be really great.

o

Hi. I just wanted to post an update. Our cabinet guy came today and took back all the doors, panels, etc. He will redo all of them. I can't waited to see them once they're back.

So for now, everything else will be completed and we will wait for the doors to come back.

Thanks again for everyone's words of encouragement!

o

Hugs RK, I was waiting to see word from you. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with the delay. When will people ever start to take their work seriously? I am glad he is re-doing the doors. It sure would make a lot more sense to get it right the first time.

o

Holly-Kay: thanks! He was nice about it but kind of implied that I may be impossible to please. Thankfully, the contractor was there and he stepped in to say that it was unacceptable. I just don't understand why people don't take pride in their work. After he left, I actually felt badly that maybe I was crazy and too picky.

Anyway, it's a lot of money to spend so I hope it gets done right.

o

Damn straight he should replace those doors! REPLACE, not try to work those over and pass them off to you again. If the second set has the same poor joinery, you should reject them for the second time as well. You've got a poor finish carpenter here trying to pass himself off as an actual custom cabinet maker.

o

Holly springs: yes, I hope it will be better the second time around. The doors are cope and stick (is that what you meant about the joinery method?) It's just so draining...the whole process. For now, I'm trying to stay hopeful that it will work out. Thanks for the input!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here