Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Absolute Black Granite - cloudy streaks from sealer

Posted by laurie_2008 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 12 at 21:25

Accidently applied 411 Impregnator to seal granite (Polished Absolute Black).
It left dull/cloudy streaks and I have since learned that some black granites do not require sealing : (

Can this dried on cloudy film of sealer be removed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Absolute Black Granite - cloudy streaks from sealer

The same thing happened to my Verde Peacock granite. I took the sealer off with acetone and elbow grease. Worked perfectly.

o

Thanks dedtired - I am happy to hear that you had a positive outcome from this!

Did you use acetone from a hardware store as opposed to nail polish remover?
Did you rub it on with a rag and wait a few minutes before rubbing it off? Did you wash it with some soapy water after you were finished?

o

You're better off using plain acetone from the hardware store. Nail polish remover may have additives. I used acetone to test my AB sample. Also, my fabricator uses it to completely clean the granite after install.

o

rocketmomkd - Thank you for letting me know that plain acetone from a hardware store is what I'll need. It's good to know that acetone is used by your fabricator for cleaning granite after install.
I feel better, now, since both you and dedtired have given me this advice.
Thank You!

o
Update

The sealer residue came off with a Magic Eraser Sponge, Pine Sol mixed with hot water, and LOTS of scrubbing. After scrubbing... wiped it off, dried it, then repeated the process all over again.

If this had not worked, I was ready to go out and get the acetone.

o

Hi Laurie -- I'm glad you were able to remove the sealer residue.
Thanks for posting this follow up with your results.
Enjoy your counters!

o

hi! Lauri, thank you for solving the problem. I would like to share one picture of Absolute black slab with you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Absolute Black Granite

o

So glad you were able to get those streaks off your AB...it's a gorgeous stone!I would have tried acetone first, only because we already have it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here