Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seosmp_gw

Where to order cabinet feet?

seosmp
10 years ago

Hi,

My cabinetmaker would like me to find and order the feet for my cabinets. He has bun feet but not the "ogee" type of feet (he is unable to find any at his normal places).

Has anyone ordered these themselves and where did you order from?

This is generally what I'm looking for, for my 36" sink base, and possibly for the ends of another run (contains a 30" drawer + 24" bev frig + 21" cabinet + 30" drawer).

Thanks!

This post was edited by seosmp on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 21:55

Comments (15)

• sanjuangirl
    10 years ago

I bought mine at a local hardwood store that sells corbels, onlays , moldings and such. I'm in Orange County California and there's a lot of places that have them.

I've also seen them online. Osbourne woods has beautiful ogee feet. White River also has nice ones.

Google is a great resource to find places in your area.

Good luck!

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

I'm surprised he can't make those himself? We did; it just takes a jigsaw, a steady hand, and a nice template. Did you show him the photo?

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

I did send him a couple pictures - not that one. He said he's used that type before but for some reason can't find them (I'd asked him to send me the catalog for me to pick from).

circuspeanut - could you post a picture of the feet you made?

Thanks!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Osborne has them, if he really can't make them (very surprised at this).

Here is a link that might be useful: osborne wood

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

Here you go. They can be much more complicated than mine, it's really quite easy to do:

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot!

I also emailed a local cabinet company and he said that's a valance in my sample picture rather than feet! Who knew?!

Anyway he has both available so I'm going to stop today to check them out. I did ask the cabinetmaker as well to see what he says (about making them).

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks a lot!

I also emailed a local cabinet company and he said that's a valance in my sample picture rather than feet! Who knew?!

Anyway he has both available so I'm going to stop today to check them out. I did ask the cabinetmaker as well to see what he says (about making them).

• User
    10 years ago

Any cabinet maker who can't make that isn't a cabinet maker. He's a hack. I'd take a long hard look at the rest of his work. YOU can make that. It's totally simple. The hard part will be the application of the trim and the miters of the baseboard. I'd want to see how he has handled molding returns and tiny cuts in the past before I'd trust him at all after that remark.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Not a cabinetmaker, an assembler.
    Casey

• michellemarie
    10 years ago

I agree with the above comments. A cabinetmaker would have the machinery and saws to make a valance. Even my trim carpenter was able to make my fireplace cabinets in my basement and I traced the valance I wanted and he made it.
    The custom cabinetmaker that I used for my laundry room cabinets, gave me a catalog to take home and choose the bun feet I wanted. My kitchen cabinets were made by Crystal Cabinet Works and they order some of the specialized island legs and ogee feet from a wood-shop in Mn and I was able to go on a website and choose.
    You should be able to get feet(bun or ogee), from multiple online sources such as Osbournes or VanDykes Restorers. Good Luck!

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies and concern :). I do appreciate it.....

The cabinetmaker is a Mennonite man. He made the cabinets in a friends house and they are gorgeous -- he did the kitchen and 3 bathrooms, and they had him come back and make custom cabinets for their den. So I know he does beautiful work. I believe the problem I'm having is that I'm very indecisive and change my mind on him a lot (literally went from a cooktop/oven combo to a range the week the cabinets were to be started). So I think he's trying to limit my indecisiveness by having me pick something I like rather than going back and forth on a design.

In the end, he did say he could make it but would need a pattern (again, he doesn't want to try something and have me not like it, and then try again, etc.). I said the pattern in the picture would be perfect.

HollySprings - just curious what type of wood you think that valance is made out of? Do you think it's a baseboard and the pattern is cut out from that, or do you think it started with a plain piece of wood and the top was "routed" and the pattern cut out? Thanks!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I have the type of valance shown in the original photo. but were offered by my cabinet manufacturer. Mine are contiguous pieces. Both the arch shape and the edge detail at the top are customizable, with the edge detail matched to base and light rail. My KD had to have the cabinets made with a bit longer face frame, I think, in order to have a good attach area.

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info!! Good to know!! I have confidence he'll be able to make it.....

I have another 102" cabinet run which contains a beverage frig in the middle. My thought was for him to make a similar foot for each end rather than using a long 102" piece... Does that make sense to do? This would wrap around to the baseboards along the sides of the cabinet. Thoughts? Anyone else do this?

• Gooster
    10 years ago

I have valence sized to each contiguous run of cabinets. At the end so the island and the counter run they are metered into a solid base moulding. The intent was to produce a furniture effect

• seosmp
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gooster - could you possibly post a few pictures? Thanks!