Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Metals in the kitchen

Posted by chrissyb2411 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 21:21

Do you keep all your metals the same? Ie facets, pulls, and lighting? I know I can really do whatever strikes my fancy, but curious what the "recommendation" would be. The kitchen is very casual, transitional style if that helps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Metals in the kitchen

No, feel free to mix in a way that seems cohesive to you. I have stainless appliances, a brushed nickel faucet, black cast iron stove grates, black pulls on my cabinets, antique black(with silvery undertones) lighting. It works perfectly.

o

I think you don't want to have big contrast right next to each other.

Or two similar but distinctive metals right next two each other.

Stainless Steal and Brushed Nickel are indistinguishable.

In general I would think of Stainless Steal or Brushed Nickel as neutral.

Black cast iron grates on SS range/cooktop is standard.

o

I think it just depends on your taste. I am very "matchy matchy" so everything I have is brushed nickel. Faucets, pulls and knobs, light fixtures. Even so much that I changed all the door handles and hinges in the entire house. The kitchen and 3 bathrooms have all the same faucets ( with matching toilet paper holders and toilet flush handles)! Maybe overboard. It sounds like it as I explain it, but I get thrilled when everything matches! So it depends on what you like!

o

Everyone has different opinions so you have to weigh the suggestions you see here, and decide as to what YOU want. Personally, for me, matchy matchy gives me migraines but a cousin that I love dearly would NEVER accept my kitchen. Her new kitchen looks as if they just took the cabs out of the boxes and placed them on the wall or floor depending size. To me - boring, but that is just me. Variety is the spice of life... IMHO.

Lynn fr CT

This post was edited by lynn_r_ct on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 13:11

o

I think it depends on the kitchen and the other materials. If I were doing an all white kitchen I would probably want all or almost all silver- colored hardware. But in my renovated kitchen with its old-wood cabinets, I have a copper hood, original brass cabinet hardware, stainless refrigerator, chrome faucet -- to me it seems like it works. You need to take guidance from the vibe of the kitchen and the entire house.

o

I am mixing...unlaquered brass on cabinets doors and pendants. Polished nickel/chrome/stainless for everything else. :)

o

Oh, and I am even mixing cab hardware metals-brass for the light gray cabs and then nickel for the dark wood island...

o

I have a copper tin ceiling; copper faucet and stainless appliances.....and I love it

This post was edited by barbarany on Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 12:11

o

We are mixing stainless and copper. Stainless for the appliances, hammered copper farmhouse sink and matching accent tiles in the backsplash. The closest we could find to matching the copper sink for faucets, light fixtures and cabinet pulls was oil rubbed bronze. Our last kitchen also had a mix of copper and stainless and we wanted to bring that look into our new house.

o

Satin nickel faucet, stainless appliances and handles, oiled bronze ceiling light and pendant lights, chrome chandelier. Love every bit of it. I need to get pictures up.

o

Oh I would love to see pictures! I think DH would like matchy matchy, but I'm more inclined to mix. I would LOVE an oil rubbed bronze faucet, but I'm not sure it would play well in my planned kitchen. It has more of a modern feel I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here