Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
breezygirl_gw

Mpagmom--how's the tiling going??

breezygirl
11 years ago

I'm so anxious to know how its going! Pics? I'd love to see how it's shaping up. :)

Comments (36)

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope you're so busy admiring your tile that you haven't checked in..... :)

• pqsmom
    11 years ago

Began taking the top subfloor up last night - we decided it would be easier to just take the top layer up and replace with new plywood then begin the prep for tiling. Actually came up much easier than we expected and much less dust than if we tried grinding it down. Gotta get it done tonight - dry wallers come tomorrow!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to know things are going well. Our subfloor didn't come up so well. Poor DH and those hours he spent in the old kitchen, breakfast area, laundry room, entry, and master bath.

Please post some pics when you get the chance. I'm dying to see how its looking!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Hi Breezygirl! Thanks for asking, and sorry I didn't see this. My internet was unexpectedly cut off in preparation for moving it, and then it never got reinstalled because of a power outtage. It's always something. I am on a well-deserved vacation now, but I snapped a few pictures on my phone before I left. I will have to post one at a time.

I knew I wanted the sunflower mosaic on the range wall, and I finally decided on small ming green squares for the sink wall. I ordered light ming green thinking they would all be lighter, but I think I got regular ming green with darker tiles mixed in. I considered taking them back, but then I thought the darker might tie in with the mosaic better. When I saw it all installed ungrouted I felt that white grout would be the best way to go. So after all that explanation, here are some pictures. I am having a tough time getting the color accurate, and in real life you can see the pattern from a greater distance. Here is a close-up.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Here is a close-up showing the two together. Does it work? I'm still not sure.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

This is a little dark, but it gives the idea. In real life you can see the pattern from this distance.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I think it works great!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

This is one more shot I have of the range wall.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Thanks, remodelfla. I love your kitchen, so your thumbs up means a lot. My daughters are giving it mixed reviews.

• berardmr
    11 years ago

MpagMom, Your tile is beautiful. Would you mind sharing the name and style of it? Thanks!

• sas95
    11 years ago

The tiles look great!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Thanks, berardmr. It is ming green sunflower mosaic tile from Saltillo Tile Imports in Canada. The only place I know where you can get it in the US is Caledonia Tile in Indianapolis. They ship quickly for a pretty reasonable rate. I ordered samples before placing my order. It comes in a couple different marbles besides ming green. I liked the carrera, but it isn't nearly as interesting.

• kamkar2006
    11 years ago

What beautiful tile! That really looks classic. I love the subtle pop of color!

• Mugsy42
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous. I'm adding it to my inspiration file.

The tile looks great and looks great together. Huge green fan. Love it.

Have you posted your kitchen yet?

• michelle16
    11 years ago

I love it! I was alittle unsure about mixing the 2 when u first posted, but u had a vision and it works awesome! under the window is a nice little diff. extra touch, and the range wall is different and striking! Love it!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Hi Mpagmom..your kitchen is really awesome. Can you please post what your countertops are made of, the size of your island, and a close up of those amazing light fixtures? Also what color/type flooring did you go with?
    What a wonderful space!!! Enjoy!

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Mpagmom -- your tile looks great!

• NewSouthernBelle
    11 years ago

I think it definitely works! It looks great. Your whole kitchen does.

• Gigi_4321
    11 years ago

looks gorgeous! the tile compliment each other without being too similar, and I'm glad you didn't tile the full sink wall, it makes the range wall the star.

• berardmr
    11 years ago

It's such a happy kitchen. Makes you want to stay for a cup of coffee.

• aliris19
    11 years ago

I love the different shapes-same color thing. It's really beautiful!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I haven't posted the finished kitchen because I wanted to wait until I'm really moved in - probably in a few weeks.

Berardmr, my husband will be so pleased you thought it was happy. He is going for a happy house!

Go_figure01, the island is about 4' x 6-1/2'. The pendants are from Kichler and I will try to link them below. The countertops are leathered kodiak brown granite, which pretty much looks black or very dark gray. The floors are white oak stained Minwax provincial with a satin polyurethane. They are a medium brown.

Kamkar2006, I am planning more pops of color when I finally unpack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kichler pendant

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Looks great! Thanks for sharing pictures. I hope you have a wonderfully relaxing vacation.

• bahacca
    11 years ago

Looks GREAT!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

So pretty! Your cabinets are beautiful too. Absolutely lovely.

• Lori Ryan
    11 years ago

Wow, I LOVE your backsplash. Your kitchen is gorgeous ! Congrats!

• MIssyV
    11 years ago

Lookin good! Hope you are enjoying the new space!!

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Whoa! You are so close to done and it looks great! I love that sunflower tile... it is just full of character and charm, and so is your kitchen!

PS - It looks like you have a chunky island!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

LRy511, I absolutely LOVE your backsplash, too. Thank you!

MissyV, I will enjoy it when I get home and unpack. Did you finish the final details on your kitchen?

Steph2000, it is so much easier to finish when you start with a clean slate and have a builder do all the work. I take the chunky island comment as the ultimate compliment. I'm glad you like the sunflower tile. I first saw it months and months ago, but I never pursued it because I thought it would be too expensive or hard to get. At the last minute I decided it couldn't hurt to ask, and I'm so glad I did.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I'm bumping this once in the hope that Breezygirl will see it.

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

Question for mpagmom, if you are still here.
    Did you DIY this mosaic, can you give any details on cutting around outlets? They blend in so well on your range wall, I really had to hunt for them in the pictures.
    TIA!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

I'm still here. I try to check in once a week or so, but fortunately I got a notification that there was a new message on this thread.

Our house was a new build and I had the tiler who did our bathroom and some floor tile do it. He is very good at bathroom and floor tile, but I don't think he has a lot of experience with marble mosaics. He was using a tiny saw, which would make sense for the tiny tiles, but from what I've read you need a wet saw to cut through the marble without it crumbling. I don't think this was his favorite job by any means. I took off the outlet cover so you could see what he did. It isn't the prettiest thing, but it works. I think the fact that the tile and grout were white helped make it all blend in better.

Hope that helps!

• scrappy25
    10 years ago

very helpful, thank you!

• breezygirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mpagmom!! I did see this so long so when you posted. I still think about your gorgeous tile whenever I see a pretty mosaic. Your kitchen continues in my memory in all it's beauty. Hope you're enjoying cooking in it!

P.S. I think I'm getting close to picking my own finally!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Did a reveal happen and I missed it??? The backsplash is so pretty!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

Hi breezygirl and firsthouse_mp! So good to hear from both of you. Thanks for the kind words, and I am enjoying the kitchen. I really appreciated it on Thanksgiving when I was whipping up cranberry sauce, pumpkin pies, stuffing, gravy, and rolls all at the same time. I am so grateful to everyone here who helped me improve the design and make it a million times better than it would have been!

I have a really nice marble pastry board from Crate and Barrel, and I think of your marble, breezygirl, every time I use it. I'm so glad you are making progress with your backsplash. Can't wait to see it!

Firsthouse_mp, my reveal was over a year ago, but this backsplash thread got resurrected. I'll link to the really long reveal post if you are interested. Your first kitchen is one of my all-time favorites (really, the whole house is amazing), and I look forward to seeing you next one!

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen reveal