Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessie21or2

dark cabs, light counters. show me your paint or splashes.

jessie21
15 years ago

I have very very dark stained cherry cabinets and will be getting a light colored countertop. Trying to decide on a paint color and so far, just CAN'T. I did look in the FKB and saw some beauties, but just not enough. Can anyone please share some of their kitchen pics that show how paint color (wall and ceiling) work with their dark cabs and light countertops? I won't be doing a backsplash for now, but backsplash shots could help too. thanks!

Comments (23)

• alku05
    15 years ago

Here's mine:

We had the red color in our old kitchen and my DH was very attached to it. With our kitchen, only the window walls are painted so it was the perfect opportunity to be really bold with the color. And the best part is that if we get bored with it a few years from now, the white backsplash and counter will allow us to pick just about any other color that we'd like.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alku, yours is one of the kitchens I always love looking at. Gorgeous.

I don't think I'm brave enough to go red but I think your kitchen is the perfect example of how it can work to think outside the box.

thanks for sharing.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anyone else? please?

• nrabate
    15 years ago

Here is mine.

{{!gwi}}

• jessie21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nrabate, omg, your kitchen is fabulous! I love seeing both the backsplash AND paint used like this. Would you mind letting me know the color and brand of your wall paint? Is it a hint of green as it appears on my monitor? You wouldn't happen to have a closer shot that shows some counter, cab, paint, and splash together? Sorry to ask, but I think I love the combo!

• jessie21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nrabate....I didn't realize your shot was hosted on webshots, where I could go see more by clicking on it. Oh, wow, your kitchen is stunning. Thanks so much for sharing.

• morton5
    15 years ago

I'm interested in this thread, too. Please let us know the names of your backsplash and counter selections.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

nrabate--I love your kitchen! I haven't seen this one before and went to webshots and saw the whole thing. It makes me wish I had ordered all my cabs in espresso rather than just the sink cab. Your granite is similar to mine as well. We also have the same faucet for our sinks (although mine is still in its box). Great job!

alku--I always love seeing your kitchen. It is so pretty. It give me hope as well that my flooring will look as nice as yours. Yours is so pretty! The hardwood I wanted was just too expensive. I was totally heartbroken. The final quote I got was three times higher than the original quote! I went with laminate so I could also have it in my living/dining room area attached to my kitchen. The carpet there is builder grade, 18 years old, never maintained by PO's, and has seen better days.

Jesse, I can show you my kitchen (although still in progress) next week. Cabs get partially installed on Friday and finish Monday of next week. I hope my paint color will look OK.

It is so wierd to see color in my kitchen (got painted 2 days ago). I have had white kitchens since 1987. That is how long it has been since I owned a residence and could afford to paint. Actually that paint was done by the designer as I bought one of the model condos when they were closing out the complex.

The paint is my kitchen is a color I got from Lowe's called Brandied Pear. So far, I am liking it but am concerned it will be too neutral with my cabs and everything else.

Since I have "baby" kitchen (9' X 11'), I could only do the black cab on the sink and the rest are natural maple. I am praying it doesn't look too wierd. My kitchen was too small to do all black on the bottom as I wanted to (with creamy uppers) and it would have been too dark. I changed my mind mid stream and went from French Bistro to more transitional modern.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mustbenuts, can't wait to see your kitchen...i'm sure it will look great!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

nrabate~~
    I can not tell from the pic....is that a TV over your stove?

• nrabate
    15 years ago

Phoggie -- I wish it were a TV. It is actually a mirror- lined tray that I placed over the stove. According to feng shui, a reflective surface over the stove is supposed to double the energy and prosperity, both of which I am in desperate need of after this kitchen remodel. I found out mid way through the remodel that we will be moving so I tried to tone certain aspects of the remodel down to appeal to a wider range of potential buyers.

jessie21 - the paint is a custom blend of two gallons of "oops" paint, one of which was sort of beige and the other kind of grey. I am sorry, I can't give you a more precise answer. The colors on the pix are kind of off, an the greenish tone seems to be stronger than it really is. The backsplash looks way to pink on the pix.

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

20 year old creamy Corian and 20 year old oak slab cabinets I darkened to an espresso color. Paint is Benjamin Moore's "Victorian Garden".

Interesting color paint: much cooler and clearer in natural light as seen in above left vs right picture.

Never did follow through with the glass backsplash...

• morton5
    15 years ago

Celticmoon, WOW! That is the best cabinet refinishing job I have ever seen on this forum.

• jessie21
    Original Author
    15 years ago

celticmoon, i was hoping you would weigh in. haven't seen you around lately but always remember your kitchen. (love it!)

Never focused on the paint before but it really complements your kitchen. thanks!

• morton5
    15 years ago

I'm bumping this because I'm hoping to see more ideas for splashes with dark cabs and light counters. I'm thinking I'll use tumbled marble, possibly with a geometric mosaic behind the range, but would love to see what others have done.

Celticmoon, if you ever find time to install that glass tile backsplash, I think it would look fabulous.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Apparently green is a popular color with dark cabs. Mine is BM Baby turtle. I restained the cabs myself with Gel Stain in Walnut.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Mine is on the FKB but for others who are looking besides OP here it is. My backsplash is 6" honed/filled durango limestone with glass tile inserts. Paint is some kind of non-descript medium beige from BM. I think I tried 10 different beige samples before I settled on the "right" one.

{{!gwi}}

• antiquesilver
    15 years ago

Greenish Black milk painted cabinets, maple butcher block counters, copper & slate backsplash, & one red wall (Martin Seynour's China Closet Red). Floors are antique heart pine; one day maybe the baseboard under the window will actually be painted white. I was afraid the red paint would clash with the copper & the floors, but there is very little direct contact so it hasn't been a problem. Cabinets on the opposite wall will be white.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

Beautiful photos. I love this thread. One day, I may just do the heavy darkening to my oak cabinets. Celtic, Victorian Garden is really lovely. It almost looks as brown as my Baby Turtle in that shot to the right though.

Red

• seattlemamadrama
    15 years ago

I am new to this forum. We're in the final stages of building a new house (only wish I knew about you guys sooner!) and I love seeing all of your awesome work!

We put in espresso stained rift oak slab front cabinets (not too far off of celticmoon's awesome refinishing of her 20 year old oak cabinets!). Our paint we chose is BM Timothy Straw (2149-40) which is a goldish-lime green color. It is bright, but not too bright for our taste. I think we'll love it in our Seattle November weather! We also chose it (over 15 other test paints ranging from tan to gold to sage and even some blues) because it goes really well with the yellow-orange tones of the VG fir woodwork and Red Birch floors in the attached great room. I am SO happy every time I see it!!!

Our backsplash will be a blend of 2x12 glass sticks, laid horizontally in a random brick/stick pattern, from Statements Flow Glass line (link below). It's mostly a blend of Glacier, Pepper and Ivory with 5% Mint and Chocolate added for little pops of color.

Countertops are my next decision...I know I want light, but am not sure if I'll go for natural stone or quartz yet.

I lost my camera battery charger this weekend, but will take some pics of the house once I have my new one and am charged up! :)

Deb in Seattle

Here is a link that might be useful: Statements Flow Glass line

• minac
    15 years ago

gibby3000 - yours was one of my inspiration kitchens for dark cabinets and light counters.

Here is a pic of the dark cabinets and light counters with tha backsplash. The paint color is a tan or sand color - very neutral. The backsplash added recently.

{{!gwi}}

• edlakin
    15 years ago

we chose a tan color that we matched with one of the lighter tones in the floor tile for our wall color, and our backsplash is carrara marble with a lot of beige and gold veining, which picks up the sandy colors of the countertop:

• rengmarg
    14 years ago

Dear members,
    I am a new member and am doing my kitchen this fall. I have searched and searched images for a beautiful kitchen with dark cabinets and light countertops (granite). I love nrabate's pics. What do you think of a carrara marble look-alike with dark espresso cabinets? I found a quartz product that mimics this marble and it looks almost just like it. nrabate's granite has more tan tones in it.